The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixing moving singer that played piano
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Mixing moving singer that played piano

so i recorded a singer who also played piano live. the piano was recorded DI, the vocal with a condenser. i told him not to move to much but "off course" he moved while looking up and down the piano.
in the vocal mic there's also a little bit of acoustic guitar which also was recorded live during the session. so heavy compression on the singer ain't maybe the best move to get the moving vocals under control. any advice? vocal is really dynamic and lots of quiet/loud difference.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

when I get such things I tend to just automate them line-by-line. Word by word if necessary.

If the guitar bleed comes up in spots, you may have to automate the guitar down by the appropriate amount to compensate.

Be sure to play the raw stuff to the keyboard player in case he wants to train himself to improve his technique. I always try to remind singers - for example- to glance down at the music stand with their eyes and to not tilt their head.

If you can couch this in terms of them improving their professionalism and becoming real "studio cats" many people will get into it instead of resisting it.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for the automation tipps, yeah that will be the way.
Great advice to train them, not always successfully accepted by the artist, though :-) but i am with you: the right mic technique is „their“ job, if they want to be a singer.
„Luckily“ the acoustic guitar player was standing and moving and singing as well in front of my mics, so it‘s gonna be one wild automating mixing session hell! :-)
but i told them before: if they want to do it like that, live playing and singing and all they have to life with „it‘ sound“.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Split the channel..eq the on mic and off mic on each one to sound good AND alike..automate those on offs ..send to a buss and ride the split vocals...had to do these frequently
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
Split the channel..eq the on mic and off mic on each one to sound good AND alike..automate those on offs ..send to a buss and ride the split vocals...had to do these frequently
"split"? do you mean copy the channel?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzin View Post
"split"? do you mean copy the channel?
yes duplicate audio and eq each for difference in body of voce when off axis [vox dup] and on axis [vox]... bus to an aux return and ride

for other vox issues belter/whisper same song...duplicate the audio track eq one for the soft to have meat ..700-1.8 that is usually lacking in soft singing ..and the second the loud passages with that 2k crunch lowered and top and bottom added that usually gets lost when people belt..that's just a general area..the idea is to eq each to sound good on each it's own and together as one performance

muting on and off and then bussing to a aux return to ride the vocals as one

Last edited by Sigma; 3 days ago at 06:00 PM..
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

great, thanks!
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

its never going to be possible to get GREAT results, whatever you do.

but you should be able to improve the situation by either automation and/or gain normalisation.

i use clip gain more often myself, and head to automation, post clip gain editing.

also sometimes clip edits and EQ combinations can help. (i.e. gain and eq simultaneously)

Buddha

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search