The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need a second 2-Bus/Mastering EQ? Api 5500 vs Bax Eq? Equalisers (HW)
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Need a second 2-Bus/Mastering EQ? Api 5500 vs Bax Eq?

I've been losing sleep trying to determine which of these two EQ's to buy as a second tone 2-bus/Mastering eq. I've read all the forum posts on this. But I'd love to hear any logic on why you would favor one over the other if you had my setup. I have a Bettermaker EQ 232P MKII as my principle Mastering EQ which amazing. Really great for surgical cuts and subtle lifts. But I'm looking to compliment this one with a second that's really different. And I see the API 5500 and Dangerous BAX to be the two most likely contestants. I intend to buy both in due time but right now I'd like to purchase one as funds are bit limited.

Given that I have the Bettermaker. API offers me two shelfs, some API transformer tone which is more than welcome and additional midrange control. It's glorious.

-By Contrast-

The BAX offers no midrange control whatsoever, no transformer flavor. Just two filters (HP/LP) that when used properly I'll barely hear and two smooth shelves.

I feel compelled to buy the API and call it a day. Yet, I'm leaning towards the BAX because it's so unique, different and seemingly necessary for mixing&mastering.

-But-

At the same time, the BAX is intended to be used in subtractive way. In the sense that you're removing frequency content. The highs can be "smoothed" and "sweetened." The lows can be "clean and tight."

However, There's an element of danger with the BAX. And I prefer to avoid danger whenever possible.

While many engineers strive to preserve and even lift the air band, the BAX looks to remove it. Because music should sound "s-m-o-o-t-h" right? I don't necessarily agree. That harshness in a punk track or a trap song is where the attitude lives. If you take it away, it will sound smooth sure....but maybe too smooth, almost diarrhetic.

I don't want to bad-mouth on the Dangerous Music by any means. I own a Dangerous Transfer Console and a D-Box. Great company.

The BAX excels in heavy frequency lifts and cuts with its two shelves. I GET IT. But are they that much better than the API 5500 shelfs? I see its utility in wide band lifts and cuts. As for the HP filter, I have one in the Bettermaker which I use very sparingly. So I'd really be buying a LP filter, which I'm skeptical about.

I can barely sleep thinking about this. No exaggeration.

I'm leaning towards the API 5500. Unless you guys could give reason to go with the BAX.

The BAX is cleaner, Hi-FI sounding. I like clean signal paths.

Final question: If you had a Bettermaker EQ 232P MKII, a digitally-controlled, fully recallable analog Mastering EQ would you purchase:

A) API 5500

-or-

B) Dangerous Music BAX-EQ

why?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Pultecs x 2 is my suggestion.

get something really different.

Buddha
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I like the API 550, but i never hear the BAX before. The 550 has a nice, but as you said, the API will bring you a little warmth in the frequencies you boost. I also like the API when i use it on individual instruments, like the kick or guitar. On guitar it can round some of the harsher frequencies. for the kick drum, it does some sort of magic, if you like a punchy want kick sound.

FYI: i reviewed a KUSH EQ, take a look, you may like it ITs an awesome mix bus Eq
Kush Audio Clariphonic MS
CJ
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA View Post
Pultecs x 2 is my suggestion.

get something really different.

Buddha
Genuine Pultecs are obscenely priced as we all know. Beyond that, my Bettermaker has a really good Pultec EQ section that I've used on occasion. I like it. I've considered all other brands and I'm convinced my purchase will have to be either an API 5500 or a Dangerous BAX specifically in how they would compliment my Bettermaker.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
I like the API 550, but i never hear the BAX before. The 550 has a nice, but as you said, the API will bring you a little warmth in the frequencies you boost. I also like the API when i use it on individual instruments, like the kick or guitar. On guitar it can round some of the harsher frequencies. for the kick drum, it does some sort of magic, if you like a punchy want kick sound.

FYI: i reviewed a KUSH EQ, take a look, you may like it ITs an awesome mix bus Eq
Kush Audio Clariphonic MS
CJ
Kush gear is amazing to say the least. They've really crafted a niche in the market in pro audio gear. And I'll admit I'm not as familiar with their gear as I should be. I'll definitely give this Kush EQ a good look. Thanks!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search