The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help me achieve the sound I'm seeking Audio Interfaces
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Help me achieve the sound I'm seeking

I record a fingerstyle acoustic guitarist and I have tried and tried to produce a recording that I'm happy with, yet they always fall short of my expectations.

The sound I'm looking for is something you'd hear from an acoustic guitarist's album, such as Tommy Emmanuel. Those types of albums sound like the guitar is amped while at the same time sound like microphones are being used to capture the intricacies of the fingers brushing across the strings. That's the sound I'm after.

I've tried applying reverb as well as delay to a miked recording using a variety of the techniques suggested around her, but they always sound too digital to my ears. I've tried miking an amp, and that lost all the details I was after. I've tried applying minimal effects to a miked recording and that sounds too bland. I've recorded in rooms big and small with flooring from laminate to carpet to tile.

Any recommendations to achieve the sound I'm after? I know I'll never get it sounding perfect with my current equipment or room options, but I was hoping I could get some tips on how I can get recordings I'm more satisfied with.

My equipment:
  • Steinberg MR816X
  • Peluso CEMC6 pair
  • Shure SM58
  • Cubase Pro 9.5
Old 6 hours ago
Gear Guru

give parallel compression a try

make two copies of the guitar track and put identical compressors on each

dial one track "smashed" (high ratio, low threshold) and the other with perhaps some gentle limiting on the peaks. Bring the smash track in a little at a time until you have the sustain and detail you want, but not to the point of overwhelming the articulation of the finger picking.

some plugin compressors have a "mix" or "blend" control, so you can get the parallel right there within the plug - without duplicating the track. Do a search for "parallel" and also "NY trick" here and you will find all sorts of ideas and variations.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search