The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How in the world do pros record Acoustic guitar like this
Old 12th August 2018
Lives for gear

How in the world do pros record Acoustic guitar like this

I always marvel at how great these pro guys can make acoustic guitars sound. I was listening to a couple songs by the Isley Brothers.
This one
YouTube

Listen to the beautiful SPLASH of delicate sound at the end of each verse line. It's like they can fill in a lush sound without it even being noticeable. Then I listen and I wonder, is it because of a capo being used way up? But no, I can still hear the lower sound of the fretboard, is it because it is so high passed that it is lacking 500 and below? I don't know. But in this song, and this one too, Living for the love of you
YouTube

My god, I have to try to listen to that beautiful, lush acoustic sound, it doesn't stick out, it just fills like some gorgeous pie filling, sweet and yet unobtrusive, just teasing your ears with a sweet rhythm and movement.

Is this direct recorded maybe? How come I can't even come close to a sweetness like this? Most sounds I can at least approach, a wall of electric guitars, but I can't even come within a lightyear of such a sweet, rich, filling and satisfying acoustic sound like this.

How in the hell do they get such a beautiful sound out of an acoustic? Is it just such a great room and great mic that nothing else will ever get you there?
Old 12th August 2018
Lives for gear

This "sounds" like: Small diaphram condensor mic at 12th fret. Compressed a little. Double it (actually record it twice). Buss it through Roland dimension D button #1 or #2 .
Old 12th August 2018
Lives for gear

Most of the lushness/richness, sustain and movement is surely coming from the choursed electric piano, in both instance. Yeah, the guitars sound like they're (a) hi-passed; (b) double-tracked. But they're also just barely coming through above the Rhodes. The guitars by themselves would be barely there.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search