The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to get rid of dust
Old 12th August 2018
Here for the gear

How to get rid of dust

It sure where I was supposed to post a question like this but here it goes.

In my house I have two rooms for studio use with a lot of equipment. I’m kind of tired of spending half hour everyday putting up a bunch of bed sheets to cover everything. I have a wood burning stove and a dog so there is an ungodly amount of dust and some dog hair. If I miss one day of covering stuff up it gets dusty. Even if I cover stuff up it still gets dust.

Is there some kind of machine I can buy (maybe something like a dehumidifier) that collects dust from the air and maybe dog hair?

If so what are some brands? How long do they last? Anyone actually use them?

Thanks guys
Old 12th August 2018
Gear Maniac

I allso have a dust problem from a stove and have wondered about a solution
Old 12th August 2018
Gear Guru

You can try one of those HEPA filters, the kind that pulls in air with a fan and filters out particles. They get even very tiny particles. The filters themselves are not cheap however.

I would avoid the "ionic" devices that use charged plates to 'attract' the dust. They probably will not be able to keep up with a wood stove anyway, but the main problem is that the ions will float around your room and attach themselves to things other than dust. They will degrade a lot of materials. One of the materials that is easily rotted away by this is rubber.

I had one of these Ion things - supposed to have psychological properties as well (the fresh air feeling after a thunderstorm). Next thing I knew all my shock mounts were disintegrating. Many mics have internal parts that can be damaged too. And don't forget speaker surrounds!

How about attacking it from the stove end? A properly set up stove should have a powerful enough draw that the dust is pulled out the chimney, not belched back into the room. Maybe there is something with the vents and flues and linings of the stove that can be adjusted. Perhaps a bit more attention to detail... A friend of mine heats with wood and he vacuums out the ash every morning before relighting it.

Instead of putting sheets all over everything, is there some way to actually close off the studio from the room that has the stove? Hanging curtains? Or does it then get too cold in the studio? Maybe some supplemental heating system for the studio like a Monitor or LP gas thing?
Old 12th August 2018
Gear Guru

Maybe you need to take a second look at your stove:
Old 22nd August 2018
Here for the gear

I’m not really sure about anything about stoves. I live with my grandfather and help him with things because he’s getting old but he built the stove and the chimney. He also built the house so maybe it’s not the ideal stove setup.the stove is in the basement and the studio is two stories up and I shut the door but that doesn’t matter. I was thinking of one of those dust collectors but wasn’t sure how effective they are and if they are worth the money. My Mesa roadking just took a **** and I’m gonna assume it’s from dust
Old 22nd August 2018
Lives for gear

Other then buying a portable air purifier you really haven't got many options.
My inlaws used a coal stove and it really does put allot of dust in the air. If it didn't feed directly into the room when you cleaned out the ashes, it would send ashes up the flew then some of that air would get back into the house.

There is low budget solution that can help. You simply need a box fan and AC filter then run the fan and it should capture most of the particles in the air. Given your circumstances based on how long these filters work in a normal AC unit you can expect to change the filter between 2 and 4 weeks. (You'll also be surprised at how much better your health winds up being too)

Check this video out, it should give you the basics. Access Denied
Old 22nd August 2018
Lives for gear

Other then buying a portable air purifier you really haven't got many options.
My inlaws used a coal stove and it really does put allot of dust in the air. If it didn't feed directly into the room when you cleaned out the ashes, it would send ashes up the flew then some of that air would get back into the house.

There is low budget solution that can help. You simply need a box fan and AC filter then run the fan and it should capture most of the particles in the air. Given your circumstances based on how long these filters work in a normal AC unit you can expect to change the filter between 2 and 4 weeks. (You'll also be surprised at how much better your health winds up being too)

Check this video out, it should give you the basics. How to make a cheap DIY air filter for wildfire smoke - KPTV - FOX 12

Last edited by wrgkmc; 23rd August 2018 at 02:10 PM..
Old 23rd August 2018
Here for the gear

Just point the fan anywhere and put an air conditioner filter in front? Like with tape or something? That is a good idea. My room is kind of big. Should I use two fans or would one be enough?
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenosStudios View Post
Just point the fan anywhere and put an air conditioner filter in front? Like with tape or something? That is a good idea. My room is kind of big. Should I use two fans or would one be enough?
Put it in back of the fan like an AC unit where the air is being drawn in before the fan. The suction will help hold the filter in place and the filter keeps your fan from getting caked with dirt.
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear
Yeah, that is certainly one thing I don't miss about the old Mac Pro. Cakes of dust.

None of that with the Mini.

I find that my equipment gets very dirty and dusty, especially keyboards and monitors... So I try to clean good whenever I have a long weekend. I don't have a permanent solution.
Old 23rd August 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
Yeah, that is certainly one thing I don't miss about the old Mac Pro. Cakes of dust.

None of that with the Mini.

I find that my equipment gets very dirty and dusty, especially keyboards and monitors... So I try to clean good whenever I have a long weekend. I don't have a permanent solution.
maybe you should change your screen name!
Old 24th August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
maybe you should change your screen name!
Well done. very good, and you are correct.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search