The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Connecting speakers to interface? Audio Interfaces
Old 12th August 2018
Here for the gear

Connecting speakers to interface?

Hi I've never done this before.

If I connect RCA cables from the left and right speakers to the line out XLRs on my UH-7000 interface, then will it make sound when I play audio on my computer? or do I only get sound out of the speakers from a stereo amp?

I used to use a Pyle 30W amp but I don't think it really works now.

Thanks!
Old 12th August 2018
Lives for gear
What is the brand and model of your speakers?
Old 12th August 2018
Here for the gear

I have Dayton B652s. No way to connect. I might buy a Edifier R1280T (pic below) to connect the speaker to my UH-7000 interface line outputs. I never did it before so I have idea if I can get audio from the speakers that way. I'm doing this because my old stereo amp might've died. Do you think it'll work Bushman?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1084_.jpg
Old 12th August 2018
Lives for gear
The problem I see with new powered speakers is that the interface doesn’t have a left/right output level control.
One possibility is that you buy a used or new stereo amplifier with a volume control and continue to use the Dayton speakers for now. That might be cheaper than new speakers, and if the Daytons aren’t damaged they are decent speakers.
I’ve never heard of your other speakers, and a BIG problem with powered speakers that have the amps all in one of the two boxes is that the “amp box” has much less internal space than the “no amp box”, so the left and right speakers will not have the same bass response. That isn’t a setup that you ever find in real studio monitors.
Old 12th August 2018
Here for the gear

I agree with Bushman. I would try to get a cheap new or used Stereo amp. I think its your easiest and best bet financially and functionally.
Old 13th August 2018
Here for the gear

Ok thanks all.
Old 13th August 2018
Here for the gear

Is there any way to diagnose whether there's something wrong with the speakers OR the amp? I had to move both the speakers and amp several inches to make the speakers work. No no sound...
Old 13th August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asim_Hussain View Post
Is there any way to diagnose whether there's something wrong with the speakers OR the amp? I had to move both the speakers and amp several inches to make the speakers work. No no sound...
This is basic troubleshooting. The things that could be wrong are:
1. No signal. You think you are sending something to the amp and speakers, but you aren’t. You have something turned down, selected wrong, or disconnected.

2. You have bad cables, either to the amp or to the speakers. Do you have a cable tester?

3. The amp is dead. Or maybe you have the amp off, or switched or connected wrong.

4. The speakers are dead. If you have a 9volt or lower voltage battery, connect it briefly to the speaker leads or terminals. If you don’t hear a “thump”, your speakers may be dead.

The first thing I would do is NOT play anything, but with no source playing, turn the amp all the way up. Stick your head next to each speaker. No amp is completely quiet at full gain. If you don’t hear any hiss or buzz, you could have a dead amp or dead speakers, or bad (or unconnected) speaker cables.
Check things, test things, wiggle things.... this isn’t rocket science, but it is simple science, so check things logically.
Good luck! I hope it is something stupid and correctable.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search