The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
how to fill up the wide stereo for a 4 piece band? Spatial Processor Plugins
Old 12th August 2018
Here for the gear
how to fill up the wide stereo for a 4 piece band?

Just listened to MxPx's new song "Let's Ride" for reference to a client who just finished recording and wanted me to mix the song

Now, as i listened to MxPx and compared my mixes of 4pc bands i realized i had a very hollow stereo spectrum. Lets say we have Kick, Snare, Bass n Vocals in the Center, Guitar 1 100 Left, Guitar 2 100 Right, I noticed that 2-99 Left and 2-99 Right feels empty. Even if the Guitars are panned 50 L & R, I still feel like 2-49 & 51-100 on both sides feel empty.

Any help to remedy this? Anyone care to educate me please?
Thanks

Last edited by yarniwre; 12th August 2018 at 11:10 AM..
Old 14th August 2018
Here for the gear
up
Old 15th August 2018
Gear Guru

Personally, I LIKE it when a mix is really LCR

A lot of times I want it to sound like "3 mono mixes"

but something to try is to make echoes of the two guitars and pan them opposite of where the guitar itself is panned. Even better to do this with room mics, but you have to take room mics in order to have them, which might be too late for this mix.

Anyway, reverbs can fill in some of that space, if that's what you really want to do.

Quote:
Kick, Snare, Bass n Vocals in the Center
is that how the drums were recorded? Kick and snare and that's it? No overheads? No toms? No room mics? Those could all go into the "in-between"
Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarniwre View Post
Just listened to MxPx's new song "Let's Ride" for reference to a client who just finished recording and wanted me to mix the song

Now, as i listened to MxPx and compared my mixes of 4pc bands i realized i had a very hollow stereo spectrum. Lets say we have Kick, Snare, Bass n Vocals in the Center, Guitar 1 100 Left, Guitar 2 100 Right, I noticed that 2-99 Left and 2-99 Right feels empty. Even if the Guitars are panned 50 L & R, I still feel like 2-49 & 51-100 on both sides feel empty.

Any help to remedy this? Anyone care to educate me please?
Thanks
this is when the use of special panning techniques like Mid and side processing can take your mix to the next level, also using Reverbs and Delays in conjunction with some mid and side techniques and other panning techniques can make a 3D stereo field and have things in the mid center front, mid center back, left middle front, left middle back, Front center, back center, and so on and so on
Old 17th August 2018
Gear Nut

Personally I love a mix with everything in the middle with exception of the guitars that are panned hard left and right.

Yes, this can make for a M/S field day for sure.
Old 17th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalsound View Post
Personally I love a mix with everything in the middle with exception of the guitars that are panned hard left and right.
Yep.

(to the OP...)
Try putting drums, bass, vocal in the middle, guitars *all the way* to the sides.

If need be, things like overheads, stereo room mics, toms, can be pushed out from center.

Another thing you can do is send tracks to reverb or delay, and then pan mono reverb or delay at another LCR point position. So, if something is R, place delay/reverb center or full left. Or if center, place left or right. That can create interesting spacial effects while keeping focus to a mix.
Old 17th August 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
Yep.

(to the OP...)
Another thing you can do is send tracks to reverb or delay, and then pan mono reverb or delay at another LCR point position. So, if something is R, place delay/reverb center or full left. Or if center, place left or right. That can create interesting spacial effects while keeping focus to a mix.
YES. Very very cool effect.
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

And now for something completely different...

Another option, though not mono compatible, is using Haas delays to pan the guitars. You should at least try this, as it sounds pretty cool.

Precedence effect - Wikipedia

Take a mono source, copy it to two tracks.

Place a delay on one side and start delaying it by 1 ms slowly increase the delay time and you will notice the instrument shift to the the un-delayed side.

More than 7-8ms and you lose the panning effect. Above ~7ms it becomes a vaguely roomy sound instead of a panning effect. It can still be a useful sound to add ambiance, but not for panning.
Old 23rd August 2018
Listening to it, it sounds like the guitars are hand panned and double-tracked (at least).

Either way, they're equally loud in each frequency range and this sounds like and LCR mix to me.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search