The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
how to fill up the wide stereo for a 4 piece band?
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

how to fill up the wide stereo for a 4 piece band?

Just listened to MxPx's new song "Let's Ride" for reference to a client who just finished recording and wanted me to mix the song

Now, as i listened to MxPx and compared my mixes of 4pc bands i realized i had a very hollow stereo spectrum. Lets say we have Kick, Snare, Bass n Vocals in the Center, Guitar 1 100 Left, Guitar 2 100 Right, I noticed that 2-99 Left and 2-99 Right feels empty. Even if the Guitars are panned 50 L & R, I still feel like 2-49 & 51-100 on both sides feel empty.

Any help to remedy this? Anyone care to educate me please?
Thanks

Last edited by yarniwre; 2 days ago at 11:10 AM..
Old 12 hours ago
Here for the gear

up
Old 5 hours ago
Gear Guru

Personally, I LIKE it when a mix is really LCR

A lot of times I want it to sound like "3 mono mixes"

but something to try is to make echoes of the two guitars and pan them opposite of where the guitar itself is panned. Even better to do this with room mics, but you have to take room mics in order to have them, which might be too late for this mix.

Anyway, reverbs can fill in some of that space, if that's what you really want to do.

Quote:
Kick, Snare, Bass n Vocals in the Center
is that how the drums were recorded? Kick and snare and that's it? No overheads? No toms? No room mics? Those could all go into the "in-between"
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search