The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Softube Vol2 Sale vs Fab Filter Options Equalizer Plugins
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Softube Vol2 Sale vs Fab Filter Options

Hello all-

First-time poster, long-time reader. I am not 100% newbie, but I have gotten much more deeply back into home recording after a pretty long break (5 years of low activity). I am using PT on a well-equipped new iMac, with a Clarett 8PreX. I have a growing set of plugins across the spectrum. I am currently looking to get some solid pieces for Master Buss limiting/maximizing, as well as some solid EQ options for both mixing and master buss. I've been looking at all sorts of plugins, and of course everyone has their rationales.

I'd love some specific feedback about the following options compared to one another.

1- The Softube Volume 2 bundle is on sale for $249. IMHO, this has a pretty nice cross-functional set of products, including the Weiss MM-1 for maximizing and a variety of EQ/channel options (Summit Audio Grand Channel, EQF-100 Full Range Equalizer, TLA-100A Compressor) and the TSAR-1 Reverb, amongst other things (Drawmer master processor, phaser, flanger, blah blah).

2- Fab Filter Pro Q and Pro L2 are rising to the top of my list for their respective capabilities, and part of me is thinking that while the two of these would total $~$379, it might be worth it to get two reallllly solid tools versus a bunch of others from the bundle above.

I fully understand this is not an apples to apples comparison, but if I am really trying to narrow this down to strong master buss limiting and EQ, I'm wondering if I'm getting too enticed by the Softube thing as a "cake and get a bunch of other stuff too" thing.

I also know there are LOTS of other options for these purposes, but right now these are the main contenders I'm looking for opinions on. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 3 days ago
I have and use both...

If you are new to all of this, I would recommend Fab Filter. The plugin interface and visual feedback you get inside the plugins are EXCELLENT. Hands down the best. They allow you to SEE what the plugin is really doing even if your ears are trained enough to hear it.

The Softube plugins are AWESOME but they are more of a color and a spice and a vibe. I don't use them on everything. Their Bass and Guitar amp sims are incredible. Their vintage EQs and compressors sound great. But everything they have for the most part has a unique vibe to the sound, which is why I don't use them on everything. I do use Fab Filter on pretty much everything and anything. Fab Filter doesn't really have a "sound" though. There is no additional "vibe" or "funk" added by the plugins. But they are invaluable tools.

what i would suggest... start with Fab Filter... then save up and later get the softube plugins. You'll see what I mean after you have both. Softube has a vibe and a sound that is really cool on certain things but on others it just doesn't feel quite right. But when it's right, it's fantastic!!! Fab Filter plugins don't have a vibe to their sound but you can use them on pretty much anything and their visual feedback really helps users to understand what it is the plugin is doing, or even more importantly, what to do with the plugin!
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks very much, Derek. I definitely appreciate the “vibe vs no vibe” distinction. I agree that starting cleaner and with a powerful and friendly interface to boot might be the way to move forward. I’m guessing Softube will discount the bundles again at some point, but dang it is tempting!

Thanks again for the perspective!

Cheers,
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search