The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How far should I record vocals away from the mic? Dynamic Microphones
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

How far should I record vocals away from the mic?

Hey guys so I've been recording a singer for my EP and I'm noticing that once the vocals are input into heavy compression I'm getting more mouth clicks/pops than I'd like.

The sm7b has a pop filter already built into it so I assume this wouldn't really been an issue. I've been recording vocals for maybe 2 years now pretty regularly but only recently have I begun to get really picky about the tinier details.

My question is... How far should I be recording away from the mic?

For a long time I've just had vocalists basically hug the mic. They're usually right up on their and it works for rap vocals pretty well but on pop vocals I'm thinking this must be the reason why I'm getting more artifacts than usual.

Would backing off from the mic help remove these vocal artifacts?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydawiz View Post
Hey guys so I've been recording a singer for my EP and I'm noticing that once the vocals are input into heavy compression I'm getting more mouth clicks/pops than I'd like.

The sm7b has a pop filter already built into it so I assume this wouldn't really been an issue. I've been recording vocals for maybe 2 years now pretty regularly but only recently have I begun to get really picky about the tinier details.

My question is... How far should I be recording away from the mic?

For a long time I've just had vocalists basically hug the mic. They're usually right up on their and it works for rap vocals pretty well but on pop vocals I'm thinking this must be the reason why I'm getting more artifacts than usual.

Would backing off from the mic help remove these vocal artifacts?
I would suggest a separate pop filter, 6" diameter is fine, and position it a couple of inches from the mic. The vocalist would do well to stay 6" or so away from the pop filter and also learn to "work the mic" by turning slightly away on words that tend to have plosives such as words that start with "p" or "b" and so on. Good luck!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwaves View Post
I would suggest a separate pop filter, 6" diameter is fine, and position it a couple of inches from the mic. The vocalist would do well to stay 6" or so away from the pop filter and also learn to "work the mic" by turning slightly away on words that tend to have plosives such as words that start with "p" or "b" and so on. Good luck!
If I get a separate pop filter should I remove the foam over the sm7b?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydawiz View Post
If I get a separate pop filter should I remove the foam over the sm7b?
I would leave it. I think you'll be amazed at the improvement in your recordings if you do those things I suggested earlier. Also, you'll lessen the bassy boominess usually associated with being too close to the mic.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would suggest a separate pop filter,
Quote:
I would leave it.
Yep and yep.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search