The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Connecting Motu Ultralike MK3 (not hybrid) to a device without firewire inputs.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Connecting Motu Ultralike MK3 (not hybrid) to a device without firewire inputs.

Recently my macbook crashed and I'm thinking about buying a windows laptop since the prices for macbooks are out of my range. I love my Motu Ultralike MK3 only it's non-hybrid version so there is no USB out. How would I go about connecting it to a current windows laptop? Every internet search I do leads me to posts regarding the hybrid version thus suggesting using the USB out instead of firewire, which it doesn't have. Is there any way of connecting the MK3 without Firewire to a windows laptop?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I don't think there's a way unless a) the laptop has Thunderbolt, which is backwards compatible with FW or b) you can install some kind of a FW extension card to the laptop.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Man, I was affraid for this. Looks like I also have to replace the interface then. I would really like to keep using the Ultralite line, any experience with the newer models which support USB? I read some complaints about them on windows devices during my search.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I think you're pulling the shortest straw here. Unless you can find a pcmcia firewire card to usb adapter i don.t see how to pull this one off. I.ve never seen them b.t.w..

Tunderbolt is not going to work unless in one direction only. That, however, is not pratical at all.

Your best option would be an older model buisness class laptop with pcmcia slot.

Goodluck
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search