The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Procaster Microphone Hiss / Gain Dynamic Microphones
Old 11th August 2018
Here for the gear

Procaster Microphone Hiss / Gain

The noise here isn't terrible, but I feel like my levels relative to the hiss are worse than what I've heard in other peoples unprocessed recordings with this microphone.

Am I wrong, or is there something I can try to change?

test - Clyp

--

Seperately I was wondering why Audacity and Reacomp show clipping at -6db, am I supposed to add 6db in processing? Is it better to add db in the interface or in software?

Thanks.
Old 11th August 2018
Lives for gear

What are you using for a USB interface, using and XLR to XLR cable, is the any other processing/gain device in the signal chain, and is the gain of the interface pretty much turned up all the way?
Old 11th August 2018
Here for the gear

rode procaster > cloudlifter > focusrite 2i2 at about 2oclock.

Does that recording not work? I can try to upload it somewhere else. I'm curious if that level of noise is normal or not.
Old 11th August 2018
Lives for gear

Proper setup with what you have. Almost sounds like something being picked up by the mic in the background like a fan noise or similar.
Old 11th August 2018
Here for the gear

The only thing in here making any noise is my PC, which is relatively quiet.

Here's a clip of just the hiss, first in the normal mic position, and then pointed towards the computer.

test 2 - Clyp

I had the gain set to about 3 oclock and amplified the file 15db.

The noise would have been louder if it was coming from the computer I think?

Also if I record with very little gain on my focusrite and amplify it there's still a hiss, so it doesn't seem to be coming from having it turned up too far?
Old 12th August 2018
Here for the gear

ReaFir does a great job of helping this issue, but if it is something I can fix on the hardware end I'd love to.

Here's an ss of the noise profile is that gives any hints to what it may be.

Screenshot by Lightshot

Still wondering about that -6db and adding gain before or after recording, thanks!
Old 16th August 2018
Here for the gear

Bump.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search