The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How Do I Only Use VST Pedals? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

How Do I Only Use VST Pedals?

So here is my issue. I have a super nice guitar and a nice amp but I don't have any pedals and I don't use pedals enough to buy a bunch of them.
I have plenty of guitar modeling VSTs (Guitar Rig ect.) How would I get this signal chain to work?

ES-335>Audio Interface>VST pedals> How do I go to the amp?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

ES-335>amp>interface>VST pedals.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Audio:
Guitar -> Interface (in) -> VST -> Interface (out) -> amp/console

MIDI:
Behringer FCB1010 -> Interface -> VST (control)

All of course assuming you're happy with the host you'll be using for your pedals, your computer is beefy enough, your interface has a low enough RTL (~5-7ms) for live use...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern View Post
ES-335>amp>interface>VST pedals.

I thought about that but I want to mic the amp and that would give me too much air noise.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=Cpl. Punishment;13463691]Audio:
Guitar -> Interface (in) -> VST -> Interface (out) -> amp/console [QUOTE]

That's ideal for live but I want to use it for recording.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

[QUOTE=Jaked4ge;13463817][QUOTE=Cpl. Punishment;13463691]Audio:
Guitar -> Interface (in) -> VST -> Interface (out) -> amp/console
Quote:

That's ideal for live but I want to use it for recording.
It's pretty much the same thing, isn't it? Except you'd substitute your VST host for your DAW...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

So would I just use another input on my interface to mic the amp? Wouldn't that cause a delay?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaked4ge View Post
So would I just use another input on my interface to mic the amp? Wouldn't that cause a delay?
Oh, I see what you're wanting to do -- you're wanting to record your guitar, use VST pedal processors, then take *that* signal out to an amp and record that.

So, yeah, the delay will be significant -- double what you'd normally have with just the pedals, which is why the amp sims are popular with the pedal VSTs.

First, you need a multi-in/out interface. minimum 2 channels each with individual inputs for instrument and mic. Then you'd go:

Guitar -> Interface (Inst in) -> DAW (raw/VST, sub out track) -> Interface (line out) -> Amp -> Mic -> Interface (Mic in) -> DAW (amp in track) -> Interface (headphone/stereo out)

It would suck for tracking...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl. Punishment View Post
Oh, I see what you're wanting to do -- you're wanting to record your guitar, use VST pedal processors, then take *that* signal out to an amp and record that.

So, yeah, the delay will be significant -- double what you'd normally have with just the pedals, which is why the amp sims are popular with the pedal VSTs.

First, you need a multi-in/out interface. minimum 2 channels each with individual inputs for instrument and mic. Then you'd go:

Guitar -> Interface (Inst in) -> DAW (raw/VST, sub out track) -> Interface (line out) -> Amp -> Mic -> Interface (Mic in) -> DAW (amp in track) -> Interface (headphone/stereo out)

It would suck for tracking...
Well thanks anyway, appreciate the feedback.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I thought about that but I want to mic the amp and that would give me too much air noise.
what is "air noise"?
you mean the sound of an actual speaker working in the cabinet? If you don't like that sound, why would you want to mic your amp?

and the amp is the amp, why would it be worse using a VST than an actual pedal?

Quote:
ES-335>Audio Interface>VST pedals> How do I go to the amp?
at any rate the latency would start to pile up. You have converter latency in and out and then the latency of the plug-in. Then another latency going back in again to record. I know know a guy who uses a program called Mainstage (which is pretty fast) on a laptop to host his effects - even at live shows - but he still says he has to "adjust". Also, the laptop that he uses to power the effects is not the computer he is using to record his guitar. So once he is mentally "adjusted", he can run the signal into his amp and play and record like normal.

One thing you could do is record through the plug in inside the computer. Then at a later time, reamp the signal via your amp, and nudge the recorded signal back in time to compensate for the delay incurred by the extra round-trip.

It's the same thing really, but because running it out of the computer the second time to your amp is happening later, you don't have to PLAY listening to the double latency.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
what is "air noise"?
you mean the sound of an actual speaker working in the cabinet? If you don't like that sound, why would you want to mic your amp?
I mean the VST pedal is made to take a line in signal. If I mic the amp I am going to pick up room sounds and its going to sound very different going through the vst pedal
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I mean the VST pedal is made to take a line in signal. If I mic the amp I am going to pick up room sounds and its going to sound very different going through the vst pedal
I see.

Yes that probably would be weird, applying a pedal effect to the mic instead of to the guitar.

I had assumed you would want to put your "pedal" where people usually put pedals - which is after the guitar and before the amp. And then record what comes out of the amp with a mic.

I figured your signal path would be:
Guitar> Interface> DAW > VST plug-in "pedal" > Interface > amp > mic
and then record that mic back into the DAW. This signal path most closely mimics the "real world" order of guitar/pedal/amp. Unfortunately, it also has the longest latency.

As mentioned above, you can use the same signal path, but split it up into two steps. First record the DI guitar + VST pedal into the DAW live - which would be a "deal-able" latency. Then later, you could send it out of the DAW via a reamp box and put it into the amp, mic up the amp, record that on a new channel, and then "slide" the track forwards in time whatever milliseconds to compensate for that part of the latency.

Or you could just buy a pedal.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search