The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which option is better for a bare-bones beginner? Keyboard Controllers
Old 13th July 2018
Here for the gear

Which option is better for a bare-bones beginner?

I want to learn how to play different instruments and compose my own music, but right now I cannot get a full-sized keyboard so these are the options right now:

1. Amazon.com: Casio SA-46 -Key Portable Keyboard: Musical Instruments

2. Amazon.com: Akai Professional MPK Mini MKII | 25-Key Ultra-Portable USB MIDI Drum Pad & Keyboard Controller with Joystick, VIP Software Download Included: Musical Instruments

Edit: A few more options

3. Amazon.com: Yamaha YPT260 61-Key Portable Keyboard with Power Adapter (Amazon-Exclusive): Musical Instruments

4. Amazon.com: Plixio 61 Key Electric Music Keyboard Piano with USB & MP3 Input- Portable Electric Piano: Musical Instruments

5. Amazon.com: Hamzer 61-Key Digital Music Piano Keyboard - Portable Electronic Musical Instrument - with Microphone: Musical Instruments

Which one is a good idea? The drum pad interests me because I know a lot of people today use that. The only downside to the second option is the fact that my primary computer is a chromebook and my laptop would have to be wiped clean for the software that comes with it.
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Which option is better for a bare-bones beginner?
You know yourself better than any of us. Just get the one that you think would best fit you and your learning style
Quote:
I want to learn how to play different instruments
Have you thought about lessons, guitar, drums, vocals. I play guitar, bass, keys and trumpet. when i was 12 years old, i took 3 guitar lessons and then i learned the rest on my own. But those 3 lessons gave me a foundation to learn on.
Old 13th July 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
You know yourself better than any of us. Just get the one that you think would best fit you and your learning style

Have you thought about lessons, guitar, drums, vocals. I play guitar, bass, keys and trumpet. when i was 12 years old, i took 3 guitar lessons and then i learned the rest on my own. But those 3 lessons gave me a foundation to learn on.
Well I am learning vocals right now, and I plan on learning all of those eventually. That's a good method to use - get the foundation of the lessons and then figure it out yourself. I thought about taking community college courses as a more formal way for the instruments and some other things I'd like to do (like songwriting [to learn how to structure them better], reading sheet music, etc.).
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

@sumthinsumthin7 what's your age and what is/are your goal(s) regarding learning all of the above? Start w/voice and master that before moving to all others. Consider money and time involved.
Old 13th July 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombapdame View Post
@sumthinsumthin7 what's your age and what is/are your goal(s) regarding learning all of the above? Start w/voice and master that before moving to all others. Consider money and time involved.
I sent you a PM and posted something on Reddit in reply to this! Thanks for the advice. I was looking at some of those keyboards and...I might have to wait because it will take money.
Old 13th July 2018
Deleted User

61 key minimum
Old 13th July 2018
Here for the gear

I decided on the Yamaha.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search