The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why Is My Guitar Level Inexplicably Jumping During the Fade In? DAW Software
Old 13th July 2018
Here for the gear

Why Is My Guitar Level Inexplicably Jumping During the Fade In?

I've encountered a strange phenomenon while mixing one of my songs. I had a bit of heavily delayed guitar I created using a pedal which basically created an interesting and consistent loop.

I recorded it and then faded that track into the beginning of my song along with a synthesizer part but I keep encountering a strange instance where although the recorded guitar audio is a pretty static level and my fade in being completely uniform and smooth, at some point during the fade in the guitar level jumps in my speakers. It's baffling to me because it shows no visual sign of doing so in the wave form and there's no reason for it to jump with my fade in.

Here is video proof of the phenomenon:

I've tried a number of things to get this to fade in smoothly such as removing the fade in and rendering that piece of audio then importing it and dropping it on the timeline and fading THAT in. I've tried moving the piece of audio with the fade in farther down the timeline and yet regardless of where it's oriented, something about that audio jumps randomly during the fade in. I also tried automating utility gain to raise the volume instead of using the fader but I get the same result.

I seem to recall having a similar issue when I had a similar guitar part on my last album but it didn't start the song so I was able to bury it. Here it intros the song so there's no way around it.

I've rendered it multiple times and always get the same result. I even tried rendering it from a different computer, same result.

Any suggestions or ideas as to what might be going on here? Thank you in advance!

Last edited by scanner737; 13th July 2018 at 05:52 AM..
Old 13th July 2018
Here for the gear

Try changing the curve of the fade, you should be able to do this in Ableton
Old 13th July 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
Try changing the curve of the fade, you should be able to do this in Ableton
I think that did it; I just had to switch to crossfade and tweak the grade a bit and it sounds good in the render now. Thank you for clearing that up it was driving me crazy!
Old 13th July 2018
Gear Guru

Maybe there is some hidden automation on the track? Sometimes automation parameters are copied with the audio and pasted in. (Automation follows edit is a setting in many programs) Have you looked at ALL your automation parameters? There should be a way to view the volume automation line, but also the pan automation line, the mute line, the effects send level line, etc.

It doesn't have to be volume automation, maybe a plugin is responding to some automation parameter that is not under the control of the volume line

Quote:
rendering that piece of audio then importing it and dropping it on the timeline and fading THAT in.
Have you tried rendering the FADE as part of the audio? Instead of fading in with the fader on the track, you put the fade on the waveform. Your fader remains static but the audio in that track gets louder (or softer) by itself. I don't know what it is in your DAW, but in pro tools, it's just select the audio and hit command + F for "Fade".

When all reasonable approaches fail, you may want to consider that your session may have become corrupted. Often when I feel a session is "haunted" I will "save a copy in" which makes a new session and also copies all the audio files to the new session. This has cleared up a number of different issues for me. the only downside is that you never can know "why" it fixed it. You just have to be satisfied "that" it is fixed.
Old 13th July 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
Maybe there is some hidden automation on the track? Sometimes automation parameters are copied with the audio and pasted in. (Automation follows edit is a setting in many programs) Have you looked at ALL your automation parameters? There should be a way to view the volume automation line, but also the pan automation line, the mute line, the effects send level line, etc.

It doesn't have to be volume automation, maybe a plugin is responding to some automation parameter that is not under the control of the volume line

Have you tried rendering the FADE as part of the audio? Instead of fading in with the fader on the track, you put the fade on the waveform. Your fader remains static but the audio in that track gets louder (or softer) by itself. I don't know what it is in your DAW, but in pro tools, it's just select the audio and hit command + F for "Fade".

When all reasonable approaches fail, you may want to consider that your session may have become corrupted. Often when I feel a session is "haunted" I will "save a copy in" which makes a new session and also copies all the audio files to the new session. This has cleared up a number of different issues for me. the only downside is that you never can know "why" it fixed it. You just have to be satisfied "that" it is fixed.

Those are good suggestions to try, as well. Thank you! For me it was working with crossfade and adjusting that rather than using the fader which made the difference.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search