The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Worth upgrading? Dynamic Microphones
Old 18th August 2018
  #31
Lives for gear
This IS Gearslutz after all, so consider the suggestion that you keep the 835, buy the M88, and compare them directly on your voice during the return window for the M88. If you prefer the 835, you can return the M88. That gets you rid of the doubt you have now, which is something like, “Yes, I like the 835, but maybe I would have liked the M88 even more.” That is a no-cost resolution of that question.
If you DO like the M88 better, you can sell the 835 at a small loss, or you can keep the 835 as a pleasant all-around mic and an alternate flavor for your voice.
Old 1st September 2018
  #32
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
I would absolutely keep the 835, since you like it.

Then, unless you have a super bright voice (like me)...

Seriously consider adding a M88 eventually to your 835. It does have strong proximity effect, but that's a way to learn mic placement.
Chris
Gotcha! speaking of mic placement, I had to go without a mic stand the first week my equipment came in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
This IS Gearslutz after all, so consider the suggestion that you keep the 835, buy the M88, and compare them directly on your voice during the return window for the M88. If you prefer the 835, you can return the M88. That gets you rid of the doubt you have now, which is something like, “Yes, I like the 835, but maybe I would have liked the M88 even more.” That is a no-cost resolution of that question.
If you DO like the M88 better, you can sell the 835 at a small loss, or you can keep the 835 as a pleasant all-around mic and an alternate flavor for your voice.
Win- Win situation right there! Do you know if noise gating significantly reduces audio quality? Since i can't actually sound proof my room building a room inside a room, my only option so far to record without feeling uncomfortable with my parents and roommates hearing me, is by placing a small blue tooth speaker playing music, outside of my room and close the door, that way they cant hear me lol. I'm just not sure if its a bad idea to use the noise gate plug in. Someone mentioned playing the instrumental out loud on monitors and canceling out the instrumental as another method instead of using a noise gate. Ever heard of this ?
Old 1st September 2018
  #33
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterlopez8 View Post
Do you know if noise gating significantly reduces audio quality? [/B]Since i can't actually sound proof my room building a room inside a room, my only option so far to record without feeling uncomfortable with my parents and roommates hearing me, is by placing a small blue tooth speaker playing music, outside of my room and close the door, that way they cant hear me lol. I'm just not sure if its a bad idea to use the noise gate plug in. Someone mentioned playing the instrumental out loud on monitors and canceling out the instrumental as another method instead of using a noise gate. Ever heard of this ?
I hate using noise gates live or on mixes. Sometimes they work well, and sometimes they are glitchy, erratic, or need constant fiddling.
If I understand you correctly, you want to deliberately create noise while recording so your family can’t hear you sing, and then gate the noise out later. That’s such a bad idea, but it might work in some half-***ed fashion, and might allow you to sing without feeling too self conscious, which is important.
The out-of-phase speaker trick reportedly works, but I’ve never tried it.
Record when nobody is home. Ask them to consider going somewhere once or twice a week. Do they make fun of you or are they supportive?
Old 1st September 2018
  #34
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
I hate using noise gates live or on mixes. Sometimes they work well, and sometimes they are glitchy, erratic, or need constant fiddling.
If I understand you correctly, you want to deliberately create noise while recording so your family can’t hear you sing, and then gate the noise out later. That’s such a bad idea, but it might work in some half-***ed fashion, and might allow you to sing without feeling too self conscious, which is important.
The out-of-phase speaker trick reportedly works, but I’ve never tried it.
Record when nobody is home. Ask them to consider going somewhere once or twice a week. Do they make fun of you or are they supportive?
They are not supportive at all. When im at school, there at work. I can get lucky maybe once a week when they are no home and record . But, i find myself redoing verses constantly. Hopefully, one day ill be able to record 3-4 songs in a couple hours without stuttering, controlling my breath, and staying on key. Man, i was hoping youd say its not a bad tool to use. Gotta think of soemthing else.
Old 1st September 2018
  #35
Lives for gear
I was lucky, I guess. When my brother and I started a band in high school, we rehearsed for a while in our family’s living room. My parents just ignored us. Sometimes they’d sit at the dining room table and read magazines. They couldn’t watch TV because it was in the living room with us. I didn’t know then how unusual my parents were.
Old 1st September 2018
  #36
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
I was lucky, I guess. When my brother and I started a band in high school, we rehearsed for a while in our family’s living room. My parents just ignored us. Sometimes they’d sit at the dining room table and read magazines. They couldn’t watch TV because it was in the living room with us. I didn’t know then how unusual my parents were.
You had it made in that department. Some people have parents who are not Judgemental. But your parents took it to another level by being supportive to the point that they will stay away from the living room so that you and your bro can practice. Reminds me of an old friend of mine whose parents let him have the master bedroom because he needed the extra space for his weight lifting equipment. There has to be somewhere else I can record or a solution.You understand that when I said play music out loud, the speaker is placed outside the room with the door closed, not inside the room . Just making sure we are on the same page .The noise is low enough it does not pick up on my DAW(the noise meter doesnt move) , but when i play it back you can obviously hear it. Is there like a certain background noise level that a noise gate will not do too much damage to the vocals? It sounds like your saying stay away from noise gating unless its your only option. But, you will be sacrificing a lot of quality.
Old 1st September 2018
  #37
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterlopez8 View Post
You understand that when I said play music out loud, the speaker is placed outside the room with the door closed, not inside the room . Just making sure we are on the same page .The noise is low enough it does not pick up on my DAW(the noise meter doesnt move) , but when i play it back you can obviously hear it. Is there like a certain background noise level that a noise gate will not do to much damage to the vocals? It sounds like your saying stay away from nose unless its your only option. But, you will be sacrificing a lot of quality.
No. I really didn’t understand what you intended to do. If the music you are playing out in the hallway is the same track you are singing to, I don’t think you need to gate it at all.
If you are playing random other tracks, especially tracks with vocals, it is a bad idea, but from your description it might be possible to cleanly gate it away since it is picked up by the comic at such a very low level.
Doesn’t hurt to experiment with it.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump