The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Jpa-1120A Zone Amplifier
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Jpa-1120A Zone Amplifier

Hello,
Today as I was cleaning my father's basement I found some gear from our old shop such as a tuntable , a cd player and some dead speakers. Under all these I found a heavy box and I was like what is that?
It was a Jpa-1120A by Jedia and my father told me that he used it for the speakers of our shop.
It's in mint condition. So, I have a bedroom studio and I was wondering if this piece of gear would fit somewhere there. For example as a phono for my turntable.
I want some opinions on how it can be useful to my studio.

Thanks a lot guys and sorry for my bad English!
Attached Thumbnails
Jpa-1120A Zone Amplifier-received_930981047110591.jpg  
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Well, after looking at the manual it looks to be a mono paging amp. The kind you'd find in an office building or store. Its has all the 100V down to 25V connections for doing this. I'm sure you've walked around a store that plays music from the ceiling and people cut in to page people to come to the curtesy desk?

They don't list the frequency response of the thing. The Noise and distortion levels are listed. THD of 1% would disqualify it as being useful studio gear in my book, but the ears should tell you the story. Industrial Paging systems like these aren't known for the best fidelity either. Bogen and Shure made that kind of gear forever and allot of it Topped out at 12Khz. Good enough for a music paging system but nothing I'd ever use in a studio.

Uses? Maybe it would make a good talkback/intercom system for a studio. Its got two mic inputs. You can have a mic in the studio and control room and speaker in both and it should provide the ability to communicate between walls with a little creative wiring. Typically you want stereo studio monitors for any kind of mixing purposes. Mono systems were replaced by stereo systems as far back as the late 50's. By the mid 60's everyone was buying stereo LP's. Unless you want to do everything in mono its not much use in a studio except an talkback/intercom. if course it would be a great education using it in mono. Most stereo recordings fail because the channels have phase cancellation. Mono is still important for Radio and TV and most cell phones today. The unit does accept stereo inputs but unfortunately those inputs simply combine the signals to mono. It is loud however. 120W might be loud enough for playing keyboard through it. Might work as a Karaoke PA head with a decent speaker too.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrgkmc View Post
Well, after looking at the manual it looks to be a mono paging amp. The kind you'd find in an office building or store. Its has all the 100V down to 25V connections for doing this. I'm sure you've walked around a store that plays music from the ceiling and people cut in to page people to come to the curtesy desk?

They don't list the frequency response of the thing. The Noise and distortion levels are listed. THD of 1% would disqualify it as being useful studio gear in my book, but the ears should tell you the story. Industrial Paging systems like these aren't known for the best fidelity either. Bogen and Shure made that kind of gear forever and allot of it Topped out at 12Khz. Good enough for a music paging system but nothing I'd ever use in a studio.

Uses? Maybe it would make a good talkback/intercom system for a studio. Its got two mic inputs. You can have a mic in the studio and control room and speaker in both and it should provide the ability to communicate between walls with a little creative wiring. Typically you want stereo studio monitors for any kind of mixing purposes. Mono systems were replaced by stereo systems as far back as the late 50's. By the mid 60's everyone was buying stereo LP's. Unless you want to do everything in mono its not much use in a studio except an talkback/intercom. if course it would be a great education using it in mono. Most stereo recordings fail because the channels have phase cancellation. Mono is still important for Radio and TV and most cell phones today. The unit does accept stereo inputs but unfortunately those inputs simply combine the signals to mono. It is loud however. 120W might be loud enough for playing keyboard through it. Might work as a Karaoke PA head with a decent speaker too.
Thanks for the info mate. I guess there are two things I can do. Either hold on to it with the ambition that I move my studio out of the bedroom to a 2 room space or sell it. I see the prices on ebay are pretty worth it.
I'll think about it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search