The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need infinite playback for art installation. Help please!
Old 12th July 2018
Here for the gear

Need infinite playback for art installation. Help please!

Hello all,

I have a relatively simple project that I am having a great struggle with implementing successfully.

The project:

A sculpture in a public place. Audio is coming out of the sculpture. Audio needs to play forever without stopping.

The setup:

Audio device(iPod) --> amp --> speakers

amp powered on/off with a timer.

The problem:

Audio device is an iPod which I tested at home for about 36 hours with uninterrupted playback. However, out in the wild, the device seems to shut off after an undetermined amount of time.

My question:

Is there a playback device that will repeat a single track of audio uninterrupted and indefinitely without requiring someone to push play? Something that won't shut off automatically? Something that can be started and not monitored?

Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated, thank you!
Old 12th July 2018
Here for the gear

Haven't done that myself but a friend of me once build/bought something based on Raspberry Pi – Wikipedia .
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

a cheap laptop with a file on loop playback
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
a cheap laptop with a file on loop playback
This is probably your best bet, though I don't think you're going to figure out "infinite playback".
Old 13th July 2018
Here for the gear

I don't want to invest more time and money into something i am not sure will work. I would do Raspberry Pi if I was 100% sure it would work.

Yeah, i guess a laptop would not shut off automatically, I'll look into that. I guess I was imagining something simpler.

"Infinite Playback" Lol, I didn't mean literally infinite. Reading that now is amusing. haha.

Thanks for all of your responses!
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Audio device is an iPod which I tested at home for about 36 hours with uninterrupted playback. However, out in the wild, the device seems to shut off after an undetermined amount of time.
Instead of going shopping, I would be investigating why it will p-lay for 36 hours non-stop in your house, but not outside your house.

Did you change any settings?
Does it have an auto-power off function? Did you have it attached via usb in your house?
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

ps there are dozens of apps/programs that will allow you to put a device to sleep at a set time then wake that device at a set time playing a music file (looped).

A cheap tablet (Amazon Fire for example) would be better than a cheap laptop.
Old 15th July 2018
Here for the gear

I have an old netbook lying around that I'm going to use. Any suggestions for apps?
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear

What OS is the netbook running?

If it's Win 7 or better then you could just use the Task Scheduler to create the tasks you need.

You can wake the computer from hibernate (less power draw than sleep) at a set time, then have it launch your music file with WMP.
WMP remembers the 'loop play' button's last setting, so leaving it on loop will mean it stays on loop through the hibernate/wake cycles.
Then a task that puts the netbook into hibernate at the end of the day, then repeat the process.

I read an article that recommends you disable hybrid sleep mode before you set it up, as otherwise this might interrupt the wake cycle.
(run a Command Prompt as admin, then type powercfg -h off and hit enter.

Or use an app to control the sleep/wake timer like this:
http://windowsreboot.sourceforge.net/ and then just use the Task Scheduler to run the music file.
(When you create the task, for 'Action' choose 'Start a Program' but then select your music file instead of the music player .exe).
Old 28th July 2018
Here for the gear

There are little boxes with amp, speaker, MP3 player starting around 20 €. Just need to find one that can loop and which has an input for external power where you can put some strong batteries. Tape all together, put some more stuff around it against temperature changings and vibrations.
Old 28th July 2018
Get something this..
Personal-CD Player
Nearly all will have auto repeat and shuffle functions. I've used them for phone Message-on-hold systems and museum exhibits. Some are still running after 3-4 years. As long as they have power (make sure you get a wall-wort supply) they play forever.
Old 30th July 2018
Gear Nut

Netbook---low power and the battery will keep it running even if the power goes out.

Consider linux and
Code:
mplayer -loop 0 yourFile.flac
as there is less chance that it will try to update itself, crash, or explode.

"0 means forever"

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search