The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What AD Converter to buy Digital Converters
Old 21st July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA View Post

Buddha
Love your studio. It’s a time capsule from the best time.
Old 22nd July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by morosh View Post
I still have the chance to return the Burl so any opinions will help me take that decision! So far, I definetly hear important differencies but I'm opened to any other opinions!
Then return the Burl. The new clip confirms what everyone has been saying: the difference was in the room, NOT the converters.

And with the money you get back: treat your room.

Seriously. The two home recordings are virtually identical, with neither one sonically "better" than the other, and any variation almost certainly down to performance or slight changes in positioning. (Don't know what caused the sudden rumble on "cry" in the first home recording; sounded like something hitting the mic stand.)
Old 22nd July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen L T View Post
Then return the Burl. The new clip confirms what everyone has been saying: the difference was in the room, NOT the converters.

And with the money you get back: treat your room.

Seriously. The two home recordings are virtually identical, with neither one sonically "better" than the other, and any variation almost certainly down to performance or slight changes in positioning. (Don't know what caused the sudden rumble on "cry" in the first home recording; sounded like something hitting the mic stand.)

Amen.

Old 22nd July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by morosh View Post
Thank you GeneHall!

When regarding to my voice I am offen stuck in details that for others are not so important so it’s good to hear some other points of view, from different perspectives!
My thoughts on singers who record themselves, Keep a focus of the big picture. Yes, details matter but a singer recording themselves often have a skewed perspective and the objective as well as the outcome can be detrimentally affected.
10 or even five years ago the home studio converter conversation was more dynamic and a lot of critical thinking did need to go into converter selections, but now we all have access to the same kit as large facilities and at price tiers that don't exclude the home recorder from achieving decent results.
I get far more out of having a wide range of really high quality microphones and the few flavours of superior sounding preamps I have accumulated over the past 5 years, not to mention the copius amounts of money I have spent treating spaces I can step into and reliably just get to it.
My partner is an outstanding highly trained vocalist, as close to perfect pitch as I think is possible . When we started tracking guide vocals at home she would over analyse the smallest detail and would always find something to attribute to this thing or that, her voice, her technique,equipment, room, etc and in addition to any production or arrangement we were exploring. Once she realised that much of her concerns about what she thought she was hearing diminished, grabbing a guide track became a much more straight forward process and the inspiration going into the guide track was less impeded by thoughts.
I don't actually know which dilemma is of greater challenge to a singer recording themselves at home, the gifted profoundly talented vocalist who can sing really well or the delusional self absorbed clueless half talent that has no idea they are **** and think everything they do is utter genius.
Maybe that thought actually has no place in this thread but I think there is a lot of psychosis involved, even with regards to gear that obfuscates the objective or can blind some to all that is great about what they are achieving [ at home].
I don't know that anyone would argue having quality equipment does make an impact, but I think it's important to keep in mind what all goes into our equations when deciding what in fact is quality. So much marketing is targeted at the insecurity of the massive home studio market, any naivety or lack of first hand experience is exploited but is also near impossible to avoid. So much so that it can affect a perspective when listening back to something and having doubts even though the fact is that it may be just fine. Because so much of what we all do is creative it is also subjective , so of courseeverything can always be better to an extent, but I would argue that that is a key element to always contributing to our expansion which for the home recording singer will include the technical stuff, but the main focus must always return to what your recording above all else. Finding balance and making decisions is what allows the creative flow to prosper, constantly making changes to equipment, constantly doubting equipment at some point just becomes impedance that interrupts the development of ones own technique as an artist or performer, I mean what good can come from a talented singer like yourself obsessing over something that distracts from the artistic development? And make no mistake, singers, drummers, guitar players, horn players, mixers, producers etc are all always developing up until we die or the intrinsic asset we seek to capture is lost or suffers to a point that it then begins to erode the passion one has for their own gift. Converter salesman don't give a **** about this, and to that extent I resent all the mystic hype they burden vulnerable talents with, considering few of they seem to tell any kind of transparent truth about their own products. That's not me being bitter, that's me calling shenanigans on time wasters.
When I personally pulled my head out and started honing in on my own issues, I established a priority list and made all my moves based on that.
Questions I asked myself " What do I encounter constantly and contend with above all?"- my answer to myself on this was my environment, my space, my room and got stuck into treatment. " What do I interact with most and what do I find myself constantly needing to adjust?"- Next to my instruments and my own self, it was microphones and preamps, channel strips and headphones etc, so I got stuck into making sure I had enough flavours to appease my taste and my needs, with my tastes leading that charge! While it has not been easy, I'm now at a point where we can get to work relatively hassle free with results we/others can appreciate.
I can't recall the last time I had doubts or concerns about my converters, so long as they turn on and connect me to everything else, I don't even give them a second thought. But EVERYTIME I go to a pro audio store to shop for either accessories or to research new technology, I get hit with the converter topic . Once upon a time I would stand there and listen to the pitch, the meaningless in store samples and side by side comparisons and begin to doubt my gear, which is all pretty awesome truth be told. Now I just doubt the salesman, buy my cables and adapters and leave.
Old 22nd July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Love your studio. It’s a time capsule from the best time.
in 1987 i walked into studio 301 in sydney, and went to the 8th floor, and had a look in studio B. the SSL mix room.

the space, the gear, the vibe, was astounding.

everything i have aspired to do in studio ascetics and presentation, has been based from that experience and reference point.

musicians appreciate a quality space, and it helps them to perform.

engineers love a pro control room, and all the analogue toys. it means they can up the game, at their end.

i spent over 2 years designing my new studio before i built it, a purpose build, from the ground up, and based my design on 30 something years of experience.

its not perfect, but its the best i could possibly do.

thanks Mr Bushman. you are welcome to visit, and i think you would love the vibe.

thanks Buddha
Old 22nd July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA View Post

thanks Mr Bushman. you are welcome to visit, and i think you would love the vibe.

thanks Buddha
You mentioned Sydney. I’d love to drop in, but if you’re in Australia, it’s a little more than a day trip.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search