The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How/Where to get better at mixing Plugin Bundles
Old 14th June 2018
Here for the gear

How/Where to get better at mixing

Hey all, NaGuul here,

Mixing tracks seems to be a broad topic, with a lot of feeling involved, but I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of good practices out there, that will help me getting better mix.

To introduce myself, I'm a french guitarist for about 15 years, and I got into composing metal prog tracks on my free time. I love writing, I love the process of materializing what's in my brain, but now I feel trapped because I can't get thing to sound like I want.

I tried to find some info on the net, but i couldn't really find any deep tutorial on how mixing really works.

So I'm asking here, where should I start, where can I learn the fundamentals, I have a lot of questions, so much that I don't want to flood this fresh topic

And last but not least, I don't want to have answers like "Do that because it works", I really want to know why it works. When I learnt about double tracking, I spent a lot of time searching why it works, what is the physical answer of this question.

Thanks in advance for your time, and I hope to have great debate with you around here.

Have a good day !
Old 14th June 2018
Gear Guru

"Where" would be "in the chair."
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

Old 15th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
So I'm asking here, where should I start, where can I learn the fundamentals, I have a lot of questions, so much that I don't want to flood this fresh topic.
I love the process of materializing what's in my brain, but now I feel trapped because I can't get thing to sound like I want.
Reading,, learning your tools and practicing are the ways. It will take some time, years and then some... it will not happen in a week or a month.

After you learn what your tools are used for and you learn what each setting does for all your effects and dynamic controlled processors, you can dial the sound you have for that track that you have in your head
Old 18th June 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks Unclenny, this blog looks amazing. I read some articles and this was exactly what I was looking for, a solid baseline to start from.

And thanks CJ for the kind words.
Old 20th June 2018
Lives for gear

So welcome to the journey of the never ending quest of mixing!

The good thing, that in todays world, there are plenty of resources to learn the basics.

The bad thing, because easy access to such information exist, there is also a lot of not so good information on the topic, which can confuse a lot of beginners.

However, a good place to start is check out Dave Pensado "into the lair" on youtube. Also, Ken Lewis, which comes on Gearslutz a ton, has a online school with great tutorials (always cool to watch a pro work). And 1200+Music Production Tutorials | ADSR has a bunch of great stuff. Plenty of other good stuff out there, but that's what comes to mind. Also, almost forgot, Groove3.com has great content on mixing. cheers!

Also, the reality of why things work or don't work are two fold and don't always apply to every situation. So even though you might learn the basics, that might not work on a particular sound source, therefore, you need to have the experience to know when to apply a different technique.

Last edited by JHOOKS; 20th June 2018 at 09:53 PM..
Old 20th June 2018
Lives for gear

Why learn when you can be an "instant engineer" ..just use elastic audio for timing..celemony for pitch correction..use plug in presets on instruments..use an auto rider on your vocals.. use izotope mastering presets and you are all set
Old 20th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
Why learn when you can be an "instant engineer" ..just use elastic audio for timing..celemony for pitch correction..use plug in presets on instruments..use an auto rider on your vocals.. use izotope mastering presets and you are all set
So your just going to exclude the waves one knob series pal??? lol
Old 20th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHOOKS View Post
So your just going to exclude the waves one knob series pal??? lol
Not to mention the "signature" packs haha. You can be an instant Chris Lord Alge or Eddie Kramer in no time!!
Old 21st June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Not to mention the "signature" packs haha. You can be an instant Chris Lord Alge or Eddie Kramer in no time!!
lol
Old 21st June 2018
Gear Nut

Some good channels out there on YouTube (Recording Revolution, MixbusTV, Produce Like a Pro, Pro Audio Files). Listen to everything through your monitoring system, and learn from reference mixes. You need to know your setup inside and out in terms of what any mix sounds like on it (yours or otherwise), so constantly "practice" with your ears by listening to music through your monitors for general enjoyment but also to be able to accurately compare your own stuff to professional mixes.
Old 21st June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by open_source View Post
Some good channels out there on YouTube
+1 for Mixbus TV.....our very own @Retinal .

Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search