The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Invasion of Combo Jack Inputs... Audio Interfaces
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

The Invasion of Combo Jack Inputs...

Unless I am missing something I really don't get the combo jack. Sure it's useful in in the front of the interface for 1 or 2 inputs if you switch out line/mic. But how is this useful in a permanent desk setup or with a patch bay to go behind and swap cables?

Is there a way to permanently connect to the combo input but split out to patch bay (one to line one to mic)?

Do a lot of people find them more convenient?
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

So i bought a microphone and it goes in the usual microphone jack but my laptop doesnt recognise the microphone. My laptop 100% has the dual jack but the microphone still doesnt still pick up. I dont have any other to try out. The microphone should work since its brand new from the box. Any solutions ? Tutuapp9appsAptoide
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamakli View Post
Any solutions ?
Any model numbers and makes?

Andre
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriboroMusic View Post

Is there a way to permanently connect to the combo input but split out to patch bay (one to line one to mic)?
I can't see how that could work - you would need a special plug to be able to insert a jack at the same time as an XLR and send both to a patch bay - I've never seen one.

IMHO combi connectors are simply not designed to be connected to a patch bay and when they're on the front of an interface they are kinda trying to act as a patchbay in their own right by offering the option of two different connectors in one location.

They're not really a pro connection to be honest and aimed more at the project studio world where most people don't use patchbays.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

@thehightenor thanks for the reply. That's what I figured. It's like the companies are forcing us to work ITB with mic inputs or outboard gear into line level.
I guess I should be viewing the Apollo 8 a an "8 line in" device with an option for 4 mic lines. Which is fine, but I feel like I am paying a lot more for 4 mic pres. I'm not complaining, just commenting.
@zamakli your laptop has an xlr/trs input? Can you send a pic? I going to guess you mean a "dual" 1/8 inch input where one is for headphones and one is for mic? But that's not what I was talking about. Sorry can't help more.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Unless I am missing something I really don't get the combo jack. Sure it's useful in in the front of the interface for 1 or 2 inputs if you switch out line/mic. But how is this useful in a permanent desk setup or with a patch bay to go behind and swap cables?
Quote:
Do a lot of people find them more convenient?
I think a lot of people actually do. From what I can tell it's just a convenient way to save space etc, from the manufacturers standpoint that is. I think the market has changed and it's simply a cost-effective way of going about it.

I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying it's a non-pro connection, because it begs the question of what "pro" is and if there are exceptions etc, but I would probably agree that you find it more on lower-end devices than on higher-end ones... on average... statistically... generally... etc.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
... I really don't get the combo jack. Sure it's useful in in the front of the interface for 1 or 2 inputs ... But how is this useful in a permanent desk setup or with a patch bay ... ? ...
If you were the design engineer for a product, and were given the task of choosing to commit more faceplate space, connectors, switches (and possibly status lights) to have dedicated XLR and dedicated TRS inputs, the first questions from management and the accountants would center around cost and benefits. I think you know where this is going.

Every product has some tradeoffs (that's the nature of engineering) and this is one of them. It doesn't make your patchbay intent as convenient as you'd like, but combo jacks as supplied make the product cost less, and do just as much at any snapshot in time as it would have with the more expensive layout.

I've been annoyed by the M32/X32/S16/DL151 products *not* having combo jacks; with their strict XLR deployment. I added an ART T8 isolator. It balances my TS line-in devices, connects to the XLR-in, and gives me some patching options.

If you had external preamps, then the ART T8 (or a product like it) would give you the per-port converged patchbay function that you want. Ah, the joy of managing cost/benefit/convenience/performance/ ...
Old 5 days ago
I just don't like them when using them as a line in 1/4" input it still makes you go through the preamp. Some interfaces and converters do, some don't. I know my Behringer ADA does and it actually has separate jacks for XLR and 1/4", and Im pretty sure the two combos on the front of my MOTU do as well. Luckily it has enough analog ins that weren't meant for a mic or an instrument to be DI'd, on the back that don't.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search