The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help! Unsure about recording sound of a play in a theatre! Condenser Microphones
Old 13th June 2018
Here for the gear

Help! Unsure about recording sound of a play in a theatre!

Hello fellow gearslutz!

I have been asked to record the audio of a few short plays for a podcast and I'm in a bind as to how to best record it. They're taking place in 650 cap theatre and the cast will not be amplified or mic'd. I have the size of the stage at the bottom.

I was thinking of an XY with my Beyer MC930's at the foot of the stage any maybe and SDC (Oktava MK012) at each wing. I was thinking about putting a radio mic on each performer (max 3 per performance) if they venue has them but this isn't ideal as it will look odd if the cast has headsets but won't be amplified (before anyone asks I wouldn't be up for oping the sound live as I'm not familiar with the desk and have not worked in the room before).

Am I on the right track? Open to suggestions of my betters. Thanks in advance!

Pros. Height: 20ft 1″
Pros. Width: 25ft
Height to Grid: 43ft
Wings width: 16ft. S/L
Wings width: 15ft 6″ S/L
Total Stage width: 56ft 6″
Depth of Stage to Fire Curtain: 19ft 6″
Depth of Stage to Centre of Forestage: 26ft 6″
Old 13th June 2018
Lives for gear

no possibility for hanging mics? you'd get less noise from the actors walking on the stage.

x/y ain't bad in this situation, ortf another option, blm's yet another. and then there are shotguns, but lavaliers instead of headsets would probably be the simplest thing for pretty consistent levels regardless of position (with a stereo-mic for some ambient pickup - if needed at all).
Old 14th June 2018
Here for the gear

Of course! Hadn't thought about lavaliers (used to headsets in theatre). Between that and ORTF/XY I should be covered. Thanks a millions!
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search