The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My apartment is really noisey!
Old 16th May 2018
Here for the gear

My apartment is really noisey!

I'm having all kinds of issues with noise in my apartment. I flat-out can't use the single coil pickup through my amp or record DI to my computer. My pedalboard is unusable due to noise, particularly my Friedman BEOD.

What can I do? Would a power conditioner help at all?
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowforts View Post
I'm having all kinds of issues with noise in my apartment. I flat-out can't use the single coil pickup through my amp or record DI to my computer. My pedalboard is unusable due to noise, particularly my Friedman BEOD.

What can I do? Would a power conditioner help at all?
Probably not. The interference is most likely in the air, not in the wires. Make sure you don't have any dimmers on, but in an apartment building, you can't control whether your neighbors have dimmers on. At the school where I teach there are huge conduits in the walls for all the lights in the TV studio. The audio studio is in the same complex and the buzz is infernal. Does not matter if the lights are 'on' or not.

BUT... if you spin in place, like a weather vane, you can find the 'quietest' direction. If the headstock of your guitar pointing North by Northwest it's not too bad. Of course it sucks to have to play and stand still and not be able to move and so on.

I have also had some limited success with using test leads - the kind with the alligator clips to ground-out parts of the guitar. Like one end is clipped onto the tailpiece and the other is clipped to a metal part of the volume knob. It's hit or miss, but I have quieted some guitars down.

Most likely though, the cause is environmental and I know people who moved rather than try to stay and 'deal' with it. Next time, when you are shopping for your next apartment, bring your guitar and amp with you and test for buzzes. .
Old 22nd May 2018
Here for the gear

I was afraid of that. I'll hopefully be moving in August. I'll just have to do my tracking somewhere else for now :(

Thanks for the info joeq
Old 23rd May 2018
Gear Maniac
I have had "some" luck with rf isolation using metal furnace flue tape from the home center to line the areas routed for the electronics of guitars and basses. Its pretty inexpensive and does no damage so if you're willing to make a minimal effort you can [I]sometimes/I] improve the rf rejection
Old 23rd May 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64gtoboy View Post
I have had "some" luck with rf isolation using metal furnace flue tape from the home center to line the areas routed for the electronics of guitars and basses. Its pretty inexpensive and does no damage so if you're willing to make a minimal effort you can [I]sometimes/I] improve the rf rejection
That's very interesting. You mean on the guitar itself? Like take off the pick guard and make a little Faraday cage around all the pots and switches?

I still have a half a roll of that stuff left over from a Halloween costume! Next time I have an issue with buzzing, I am going to give it a try.
Old 23rd May 2018
Gear Nut

I've often thought about lining the walls with aluminum foil in an effort to block cell reception. I wonder if that sort of thing might help with RF as well.
Old 23rd May 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aste View Post
I've often thought about lining the walls with aluminum foil in an effort to block cell reception. I wonder if that sort of thing might help with RF as well.
There are plenty of plans for building a Faraday cage. I think a mesh will do, you don't need aluminum foil. They are popular with survivalists who anticipate that a pulse from a solar flare or nuclear weapon will knock out their electronics.

but if I built one, it would be more like for this guy's reason:

A Bar Owner in The UK Has Built a Faraday Cage to Stop Customers Using Their Phones
Old 23rd May 2018
Gear Maniac
I have some very good guitars, some average guitars and some cheap as f guitars, so have to go Jack White style commando sometimes to get things to sound decent. I took an 80's era yammie bass off a friend who was wife-sizing his noise makers. For some weird reason it is the only one that would get a buzz that would only show up when DI'd into one of my laptops, only in the living room where I sometime just record jams/ideas whilst perusing the tube. I had the tape lying around after some ac repairs, a handy screwdriver, I paid almost nothing for the bass( I have "only" 3 basses) so I figured, eh, worth a shot. It actually cut the buzz down from "have to use a gate" to "sounds like a mic on a live amp" which I can live with. YMMV
Old 23rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aste View Post
Sure, and that also helps protect you from the people listening in and spying on you stealing your thoughts.
Old 24th May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
There are plenty of plans for building a Faraday cage. I think a mesh will do, you don't need aluminum foil. They are popular with survivalists who anticipate that a pulse from a solar flare or nuclear weapon will knock out their electronics.

but if I built one, it would be more like for this guy's reason:

A Bar Owner in The UK Has Built a Faraday Cage to Stop Customers Using Their Phones
Yeah, no phone calls in the studio!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search