The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
[POLL] The best headphones for tracking and mixing under 100$ Studio Headphones
View Poll Results: Which of these headphones under 100$ are the best ones for tracking and mixing?
Sennheiser HD 280 PRO
8 Votes - 25.00%
Sony MDR-7506
8 Votes - 25.00%
Audio-Technica ATH-M40x
10 Votes - 31.25%
Shure SRH840
5 Votes - 15.63%
KRK KNS 6400
2 Votes - 6.25%
AKG K271 MKII
4 Votes - 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26th April 2018
  #1
Here for the gear
 

[POLL] The best headphones for tracking and mixing under 100$

Which headphones are the best for both recording vocals and mixing music (mostly rap and electronic music) under 100$?

I made a similar poll, but there were too many headphones to choose from. Now i added only 6 pairs of headphones here. I hope that in this tread will be more votes than in the previous one. Feel free to leave a comment about one of the headphones mentioned.

Here are the headphones to choose from:

Sennheiser HD 280 PRO
Sony MDR-7506
Audio-Technica ATH-M40x
Shure SRH840
KRK KNS 6400
AKG K271 MKII
Old 27th April 2018
  #2
Here for the gear
 

I have been listening to all of them excluding Sennheisers, but I still cannot decide.
Old 27th April 2018
  #3
Lives for gear
 
thismercifulfate's Avatar
Out of those the Sony MDR 7506’s but I prefer the MDR V6’s over those. And as a bonus they cost less. The AKG 271’s are really bad in my experience. They fall apart quickly and sound hollow because their housing is too light and undampened. The Sennheisers sound boxy and clamp too hard on your head. The Audio Technicas are fine, but it’s worth springing for the ATH-M50x’s over those. I have no experience with the KRK’s or Shures.
Old 27th April 2018
  #4
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
Out of those the Sony MDR 7506’s but I prefer the MDR V6’s over those. And as a bonus they cost less. The AKG 271’s are really bad in my experience. They fall apart quickly and sound hollow because their housing is too light and undampened. The Sennheisers sound boxy and clamp too hard on your head. The Audio Technicas are fine, but it’s worth springing for the ATH-M50x’s over those. I have no experience with the KRK’s or Shures.
Thanks for the answer. I really appreciate it! I also consider buying the MDR-V6, but they are quite similar so i aded 7506 to the poll. I agree with what you have said about AKG's K271 and Sennheisers, but I cannot agree with what you have said about Audio Technica's.
I have listened to both M40x and M50x and M40x are better for mixing in my opinion, because their response was much more flat. The M50x sounded as they were designed mostly for casual listening.
Despite that the M40x had a little too much bass.

Also I can tell what I have found about KRK's and Shures.
KRK 6400 had not as much bass to be described as 'flat' and Shures sounded too much hyped for a monitor headphones.

MDR-7506 lack for me a bit of hights and very little amount of bass.

As you see, everyone of these headphones isn't ideal, but I cannot decide which one pair will be the best.
Old 28th April 2018
  #5
Here for the gear
 

I disconsider the AKG K271, because of their far from flat response, but I need more votes here to decide definitely.
Old 29th April 2018
  #6
Gear Addict
I've recently discovered the Audio Technica AT serie, really pleasent and good for mix-checks (I can't mix with phones - know many people that achieve great results, mine are just bad), they're generous on trebles but nothing that you can't manage.
Old 1st May 2018
  #7
Here for the gear
 

I'm really confused. So many people voted the Sonys. I have mostly consider Audio Technicas or Krks, but I think about it. What do you think about Sonys lows and mostly important highs, which aren't really flat? If you can, vote more here.
Old 1st May 2018
  #8
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by michal12345 View Post
I'm really confused. So many people voted the Sonys. I have mostly consider Audio Technicas or Krks, but I think about it. What do you think about Sonys lows and mostly important highs, which aren't really flat? If you can, vote more here.
Neither AT are flat on highs...
Old 5th May 2018
  #9
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedrik83 View Post
Neither AT are flat on highs...
Do you mean lows? They have too much lows in comparision to other mentioned headphones, but I don't think that highs are so different in m40x than in other mentioned headphones.
Old 12th May 2018
  #10
Here for the gear
 

After seeing these votes, I really started considering Sony's, but I've done a little research and KRK's seem to be the flattest ones from these headphones and it is strange for me how no one have voted on them. I probably will buy them, because they are the flattest, but are there any big cons of them? I'm afraid, because no one voted on them, despite they seem to be the flattest.
Old 12th May 2018
  #11
Gear Maniac
In my experience the Sony's are too bright for mixing. I have had good results over the years with AKG 240.
Old 12th May 2018
  #12
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiodeBridge View Post
In my experience the Sony's are too bright for mixing. I have had good results over the years with AKG 240.
Yeah, but I cannot buy k240, because they are open-back and I will also use them for tracking purposes as I said in this thread.
Old 12th May 2018
  #13
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 

I used $15 drugstore Sonys for tracking because the most important thing is that they are all identical. I wouldn't use anything under $100 for mixing although the Sony 7506s are good for spotting low-frequency problems.
Old 12th May 2018
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Bob, do you have any fave headphones-over $100- then?

I admit for my humble needs, I use the MDR-V6's, along with a pair of AKG 240 DF's.

Thanks , Chris
Old 12th May 2018
  #15
Lives for gear
 
bowzin's Avatar
I use 7506's for tracking but could absolutely be convinced theres better out there, and Im sure there are. Theyre functional to me because FOR TRACKING they are cheap'ish, closed-back (less bleed, but not no bleed), and you can throw pretty much infinite bass at them and they dont blink. The mids/high can be a little hard but not near as bad as many others, and have good detail for the use case. Theres also a quality ive heard people describe as "if you can make it sound good in these itll sound good on anything" which isnt entirely true of course and also not a compliment, ha. I found a little truth in that though on the musician side, playing into em, getting tones, how to angle things at the mic, the big bass "sounds good" and might help the confidence/performance, that kind of thing. Not gospel though.

Ive used them for mixing, just because Im so familiar with them. Wouldnt recommend it, lots of trial & error as would be expected. I do think theyre fine for checking mixes or zero'ing in on small parts your main monitors may very well be missing/hiding, most of us arent in perfect rooms/listening conditions.

For 'mixing' i'll rely more on open-back HD600's but even then, its not the full story just another angle. Theyre super affordable from where they used to be, but need a good/powerful amp which offsets that a bit. Track a rock singer with those and theyd probably fall asleep, plus open-back so pretty much unuseable for anything with a sensitive mic nearby.
Old 13th May 2018
  #16
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Bob, do you have any fave headphones-over $100- then?...
Sennheiser HD600s and the original Etymotic Research.
Old 15th May 2018
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Thanks Bob.

IMHO for "simpler"/acoustic style music, AKG 240's could be OK.

Chris
Old 15th May 2018
  #18
Different needs

I don’t think you can get headphones that are good for both.

Tracking cans need to be closed, rugged, fit many heads, have replacable/washable ear cushions. Actual frequency response is not such a big deal.

Mixing headphones should be open-back to get less boomy/boxy sound, be comfortable for one person, the mixer. Hace a balanced frequency response, Ruggedness not necesarily a big desl.. etc

My $0.02
Old 15th May 2018
  #19
Gear Head
 

For mixing you can pick up a used pair of AKG K7xx for around $100 on ebay. They are open back. They go for $199 new.
Old 15th May 2018
  #20
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I used $15 drugstore Sonys for tracking because the most important thing is that they are all identical.
Interesting, why do you say that, Bob? I've got several different pairs of headphones here and I mix and match for tracking all the time. Typically the drummer gets Beyer DT 770 because they isolate so well, the bass player gets ATH-50X because they have a ton of low end, and guitarists and vocalists get ATH-30x, 40x, or sennheiser hd-280s. More-Me's sit in the closet unused forever.

For mixing I like Denons the best by far. I can mix and master on those with 100% confidence. Too bad they're not made anymore.
Old 15th May 2018
  #21
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 

Most of the people I worked with preferred using just one side. The little Sonys were open which resulted in far better intonation.
Old 16th May 2018
  #22
In that price range, I would simply get the headphones you like the most, and which represent your favourite tracks "the best" to you. You can't expect excellence (but maybe check build quality too!).
Old 17th May 2018
  #23
Here for the gear
 

I have monitors, but I cannot use them all the time. I will probably mix 40% of the time on monitors and 60% of the time on headphones. I will mix mostly rap and electronic music. I will track only rap vocals.

So are Sonys the best from that stack for these genres and usage? I really cannot afford two pair of headphones and I'm afraid about Sonys lows and hights.

I dont know at what to look at (excluding frequency response), when searching the best headphones for mix.
Old 17th May 2018
  #24
Gear Guru
 

I really like the Sennheiser HD 280s - for tracking

they are comfortable, loud, and have good isolation. I have 4 pairs of them for my clients and they love them. Easy to fix the cable and easy to replace the cushions if you have to.

Many of my friends have the Sonys, and they are often considered a 'standard'. Some session musicians even show up with their own pair. I personally find them too bright.

I would never want to mix on the 280s or the Sonys, however.

If you have to mix on headphones (full disclosure: I hate it!) I think open-backed headphones are better for mixing. Good luck with your search, but IMO, the idea that one magic pair of cans ($100 cans at that) is going to be good for both is somewhat optimistic.
Old 19th May 2018
  #25
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
I really like the Sennheiser HD 280s - for tracking

they are comfortable, loud, and have good isolation. I have 4 pairs of them for my clients and they love them. Easy to fix the cable and easy to replace the cushions if you have to.

Many of my friends have the Sonys, and they are often considered a 'standard'. Some session musicians even show up with their own pair. I personally find them too bright.

I would never want to mix on the 280s or the Sonys, however.

If you have to mix on headphones (full disclosure: I hate it!) I think open-backed headphones are better for mixing. Good luck with your search, but IMO, the idea that one magic pair of cans ($100 cans at that) is going to be good for both is somewhat optimistic.
I know that one pair of cans wouldn't be great for both tracking and mixing, but I'm searching for a compromise. I'm searching for the best possibility from few chosen options.
Old 19th May 2018
  #26
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michal12345 View Post
I know that one pair of cans wouldn't be great for both tracking and mixing, but I'm searching for a compromise. I'm searching for the best possibility from few chosen options.
well then, get some good tracking phones, because the open-backed phones will bleed like crazy

if your mix doesn't come out so good, you can always re-mix it later when you can afford something better.

meanwhile, on the flip side if you have bleed on your vocal mics, the greatest pair of mixing phones in the world is not going to get rid of it.
Old 19th May 2018
  #27
Gear Maniac
here's a pair of AKG 240 for $59

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302312516351?rmvSB=true

probably could find something for tracking for $40 . . .
Old 19th May 2018
  #28
Gear Addict
 

I'd consider getting one that has a profile in any of the several programs that let you "correct" for the frequency response of the headphones so that you can drive the sound more toward being flat - at least if you're trying to also MIX with the headphones. In my opinion, you'd be better of factoring the cost of that software into your overall budget than spending it all on the headphones themselves (again, only if you're also planning to mix with them) - still won't be as good as good monitor speakers, but definitely makes it easier to get a more-balanced mix.
Old 21st May 2018
  #29
Lives for gear
MANY years ago, when I had to do a lot of mixing on headphones, I got reasonably good mixes on Sony 7506. They are reasonably well made and consistent from one to the next. And they are useful for tracking or mixing.
I hesitate to recommend them today only because it is hard to believe that nothing better has come along in twenty years (although that is possible).
As others have said, the 280s are good for tracking but not great for mixing. I found them misleading because I hear too much sub-bass in them.
I use AT phones for tracking and to check mixes. They sound hyped, but not deceptive... I can get used to them and get an honest read from them.
I have very little experience or none with your other candidates, and have not tried the headphone correcting software.
Old 21st May 2018
  #30
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 

The only trend has been cheaper.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump