The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha AW4416 error
Old 20th April 2018
Here for the gear

Yamaha AW4416 error

I'm getting a "Can not connect Recorder CPU" error code when trying to start up my Aw4416. I'd been away for 5 years, so it had been out of use. Bought it in 2002.

I emailed Yamaha who suggested
"Remove hard drive tray
Unplug CD drive
If message changes, look into replacing these parts"

Message has not changed. I've opened up unit and had a look for loose connections, but nothing seems out of place.
I liked working on this unit and would prefer not to have to replace it.
Any help/suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
MO'C.
Old 21st April 2018
It might be dead. The CPU bis the brains of every PC. But i would contact support again and see what they say..

CJ
Old 22nd April 2018
Here for the gear

It allows me get into the mixer section. It autoplays. Transport buttons not working. Can navigate to some pages. Not totally dead it seems. Will give them a shout back and see. Cheers.
Old 7th September 2018
Here for the gear

i have exactly the same problem did you manage to solve the fault ?
Old 10th September 2018
Here for the gear
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOC View Post
I'm getting a "Can not connect Recorder CPU" error code when trying to start up my Aw4416. I'd been away for 5 years, so it had been out of use. Bought it in 2002.

"Remove hard drive tray
Unplug CD drive

Message has not changed. I've opened up unit and had a look for loose connections, but nothing seems out of place.

Thanks,
MO'C.
hello there,

i have used the aw4416 for many years (i own 2 of the consoles).. have you tried to reload a known "good" harddrive ? i sounds like the drive may have died ... there are 2 systems onboard the aw4416 ... if you can access the mixer section, then that system is working ... try to reseat the harddrive to the tray and give a small squirt of deoxit gold on the contact pins and sockets .. then reinsert into console ... keep in mind that the hdd is used on the recorder system and not necessary for the mixer to work ... over the years, i have lost 1 hhd so make it a point to backup work and keep new hdds for backup use when required ... can you hookup the harddrive to your computer to see if it fires up ? you should hear the drive start spinning under power ...

there is also a way to change the hhd (with moving parts) to a solid state harddrive (no moving parts) ... check forum for parts list and setup, some of the older hhds are getting hard to find/expensive

i have been fortunate that the systems in play have been reliable and give me the opportunity for clean recordings and the ability to take an idea through all the processes and to a finalized cd ...

keep us informed of your progress ... check out the yamaha forum, it has been a wealth of information over the years for me

The DijonStock Home Recording Support Forum ... yamaha based recording forum

mark

if you want to chat offsite ... [email protected]

Last edited by hudrodguy; 10th September 2018 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: details missed
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOC View Post

"Remove hard drive tray
Unplug CD drive

Thanks,
MO'C.
Can you get to the UTILITY prefer.3 menu to check the battery status in the upper right area? After 5 years running on the battery you might have drained it and need to replace the Dallas clock chip (the battery is inside)....loads of fun. Because it's hard installed most of us put a 24 pin socket in when replacing. 5 year constant drain sounds about right. It IS a 20 year old machine. Without any Yamaha support our assumption is that the clock runs live while the unit is active.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search