The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
source of reference track for mastering
Old 14th March 2018
Here for the gear

source of reference track for mastering

For mastering I'm going to use reference material and already know exactly what. My question is what should the source of the reference material be for best results? For example should I buy the song on itunes, download from youtube, get a from a official CD copy, another way?

I know these sites already do some processing to tracks.

Does it matter? What are your recommendations?
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bby94 View Post
For mastering I'm going to use reference material and already know exactly what. My question is what should the source of the reference material be for best results? For example should I buy the song on itunes, download from youtube, get a from a official CD copy, another way?

theoretically anything 44.1k 16 bit is fine
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bby94 View Post

Get a reference recording from wherever you know it hasn't been processed after mastering. Anything that is lossy compression I would avoid. I would think an official CD would be best. YouTube I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole, and I'd be skeptic about iTunes as well.

I suppose the other way of thinking about it however is that if it sounds fine on your system and you want that sound then it works as a reference....

....but I'd buy the disk...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search