The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
If you haven't got the gear...
Old 10th March 2018
Here for the gear
If you haven't got the gear...

I officially opened my studio for business almost a year ago, and while I did get a couple of (scarce) paid mixing and recording jobs, I'm quite daunted at the prospect of having to compete against guys with racks and racks of expensive analog gear and flashy installations.

Mind you, my studio is relatively well equipped for any modern audio situation (all in the box) and I went to utmost lengths to make the acoustics and environment as effective and appealing as possible, but here in Argentina it's like if you don't own this and that compressor, or whatever preamps, etc etc, they never take you seriously; that added to my studio being in an ample room, but definitely not a large recording space for drums or large groups of people, paints a rather bleak scenario.

So, yes, this is just a rant, but I had to share this with my fellow colleagues. Is the situation the same in your place(s)?
Old 10th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferchis View Post
I officially opened my studio for business almost a year ago, and while I did get a couple of (scarce) paid mixing and recording jobs, I'm quite daunted at the prospect of having to compete against guys with racks and racks of expensive analog gear and flashy installations.

Mind you, my studio is relatively well equipped for any modern audio situation (all in the box) and I went to utmost lengths to make the acoustics and environment as effective and appealing as possible, but here in Argentina it's like if you don't own this and that compressor, or whatever preamps, etc etc, they never take you seriously; that added to my studio being in an ample room, but definitely not a large recording space for drums or large groups of people, paints a rather bleak scenario.

So, yes, this is just a rant, but I had to share this with my fellow colleagues. Is the situation the same in your place(s)?
Yeah.. no drums is gonna be a deal breaker more often than not. Many clients wanna see a. A kit b.at least one u87 c.a nice big board d. A booth (rappers) etc
Chin up.
Any business is good business right? Just do your best and by word of mouth you should get more business!

People talk.

Good luck to ya!
Old 10th March 2018
Lives for gear

I know what you're talking about, I went through that many years ago.
The truth is though that it is your final product that speaks for you and the studio.

basically take a breath.
room acoustics, speaker placement, good ears and hard work will do more than a some flashy gear.

I know this, because some of those that I've trained over the years are now establishing themselves - both with basic setups gear wise - both knocking out killer sounding records due to good micing technique, solid understanding of how digital systems really work under the hood and how to get the best out of them.

They both each have 4 x UAD Octo card system so great sounding plugins are really doing the job well.

They Both prefer the tones of my rig but it doesn't stop them doing great work.
Old 11th March 2018
Gear Nut

Buy a s***ty old 48 channels mixer that doesn't work, erase the logo, put it on your desk, proceed to never use it.

Get a decent Neumann clone, erase the logo, tell the clients it's so old that the logo wore off.

Now your studio is much more attractive to the common idiot who doesn't know a thing about sound.
Old 11th March 2018
Lives for gear

It seems you have everything you need for mixing.

For tracking, that's different thing, mics and pres are important and there is no way around it.

You can have smaller setup for overdubs and go to some great studio to track drums (and perhaps more). Then finish the rest at your place.

Bands often choose you if they like the sound of what you did and mostly don't care how it was achieved. Word of mouth is also pretty strong "momentum maker". Yep, that means you'll have to work hard on some unknown bands that can pay you only very little... maybe even for years before something happens.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search