The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Filling in the less glamourous gaps in my home studio Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 28th February 2018
Here for the gear

Filling in the less glamourous gaps in my home studio

Hello everyone,

Nice to make your acquaintance.

I've decided as a New Year's resolution to finally realize my dream of producing my own electronic music (think Deadmau5, Moderat, ... but of course on an amateur level). My setup should be able to do two things, namely 1. recording separate instruments for production purposes and 2. jamming.

In a rather impulsive but rather well documented shopping spree I've gone ahead and bought myself a couple of instruments:

- Roland TR-8
- Korg Volca Kick
- Korg Volca Bass
- Nord Lead 2X
- Moog Subsequent 37 CV (I know, worth more than all of the above together and maybe a bit over the top for a newbie like me but I just fell in love with the sound of it and I could get hold of the CV for a really sweet price)

Apart from that I'm also looking at a pair of JBL LSR-308s for monitoring duties and a decent Windows 10 i5/i7 laptop to run a DAW on.

Of course now I would like to make the whole lot of it work together, so I'm kindly asking you for advice on the pieces of hardware I need to patch everything up because I just can't wrap my head around it. Do I need a mixer with a built-in audio interface? A mixer and an audio interface? Just an audio interface with gain control? I want to be able to control the Volca's from the Moog so I guess I need MIDI? Do I need a separate interface for that? Probably also a USB hub to connect to the Roland, Nord and Moog? And then we're not even talking about effects (like a compressor)?

It would also be great to be able to jam without having to switch on the computer but I don't know if that's even technically feasible.

Thank you for reading all of this and hopefully for the help!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search