The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A question about Spotify's volume normalisation
Old 13th February 2018
Here for the gear

A question about Spotify's volume normalisation

Hi all,

I've just finished my first digital release (a solo guitar EP) and it's been uploaded to all major stores. One thing I've noticed is that on Spotify my tracks seemed a little quiet compared to other songs. I compared one of my tracks to another solo guitar track and mine was a lot quieter, even though the final master was mostly around 0/-1db.

I noticed in the Spotify settings that there's an option that reads "Set the same volume for all songs". I turned that off and suddenly my tracks sound just as loud as the other track I was checking against.

Does this indicate something is wrong with my mix? I mainly used some EQ, compression, reverb and a limiter at the end to raise the overall volume.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 13th February 2018
Gear Head

Maybe your track is really squashed and it appears to be quieter than other tracks with more dynamic range when normalised?
Old 14th February 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelDamas View Post
Maybe your track is really squashed and it appears to be quieter than other tracks with more dynamic range when normalised?
Yeah I think that's what's happening. I think I pushed the limiter way too hard at the end and didn't think enough about the dynamic range. Thanks!
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
even though the final master was mostly around 0/-1db.
This dB level means nothing. Loudness is not measured like that.

If you want your song to be as loud and clear as everyone elses, then it needs to be mastered correctly.
Quote:
more dynamic range and normalization will not make things as loud of everyone elses.
Old 15th February 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
more dynamic range and normalization will not make things as loud of everyone elses.
That's not what I said. If Spotify does loudness normalisation to a predetermined level (a quick Google search says it's -14 LUFS), won't a more dynamic master retain comparatively higher peaks and sound subjectively louder than a more compressed master normalised to the same level?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search