The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
audio interface question Audio Interfaces
Old 8th February 2018
Gear Maniac

audio interface question

1. Do you need at least 2 inputs on audio interface to record in stereo?

2. I have a jx-03 and apogee duet 2 that I am trying to figure out how to connect to record the cool stereo capabilities that this synth has. Which cables should I use to be able to record in stereo (the synth takes 1/8" and duet takes 1/4")?

3. What level does jx-03 output at: mic, instr, -10 or +4 (and how can I find this out on my own)?

PICTURES BELOW of two pieces of gear and cables to choose from.
Attached Thumbnails
audio interface question-fullsizerender.jpg   audio interface question-img_2009.jpg   audio interface question-img_2017.jpg   audio interface question-img_2015-1.jpg  
Old 8th February 2018
Lives for gear

Yep you need to use 2 channels...so cable A.
Old 8th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
3. What level does JX-03 output at: mic, instr, -10 or +4 (and how can I find this out on my own)?
It will say it on the PDF. Just google it or go to the manufactures website for it.

CJ
Old 8th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtletree View Post
1. Do you need at least 2 inputs on audio interface to record in stereo?

2. I have a jx-03 and apogee duet 2 that I am trying to figure out how to connect to record the cool stereo capabilities that this synth has. Which cables should I use to be able to record in stereo (the synth takes 1/8" and duet takes 1/4")?

3. What level does jx-03 output at: mic, instr, -10 or +4 (and how can I find this out on my own)?

PICTURES BELOW of two pieces of gear and cables to choose from.
Perhaps you weren't aware, but you can actually record in stereo through your DAW using only USB if you prefer, since the boutique line will I/O MIDI and audio over USB. That seems most convenient in my setup...

Greg
Old 13th February 2018
Here for the gear

Audio Interface Focusrite or Apollo

I’m building a home studio and trying to decide on which audio interface to purchase.... I’m thinking of going for the Focusrite Clarett 4Pre Thunderbolt or the Apollo Twin MkII. Primarily I’m a pianist/ keyboard player/singer but can play a bit of guitar as well. Does the 4 preamps in the Focusrite allow me to record 4 mics at the same time? Do you think I really need 4 preamps or do you think 2 preamps are fine? The Hi-Z instrument input on the Apollo seems pretty cool...Does the Focusrite have an equivalent type of instrument input? I’m not even sure what the Hi-Z input means... I’m a total newbie so the specs are confusing me :P
Any feedback or clarification would be greatly appreciated
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scb98 View Post
Does the 4 preamps in the Focusrite allow me to record 4 mics at the same time?
Yes (In fact you can record 4 mics and 4 line inputs or 8 line inputs simultaneously)

Quote:
Do you think I really need 4 preamps or do you think 2 preamps are fine?
Depends entirely on your requirements.

Quote:
The Hi-Z instrument input on the Apollo seems pretty cool...Does the Focusrite have an equivalent type of instrument input? I’m not even sure what the Hi-Z input means.
Focusrite has 2 channels switchable to hi-z (labelled as instrument).
The hi-z is a high impedance input for plugging electric guitar or bass direct.

Note that although the Apollo has a dedicated hi-z input the channel is shared with the mic pre so you couldn't record 2 mics AND hi-z at the same time.
Old 13th February 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
Yes (In fact you can record 4 mics and 4 line inputs or 8 line inputs simultaneously)

Depends entirely on your requirements.

Note that although the Apollo has a dedicated hi-z input the channel is shared with the mic pre so you couldn't record 2 mics AND hi-z at the same time.
Thanks.
Could I record 1 mic and the hi-z at the same time on the Apollo? I’m assuming that the hi-z
is only shared with 1 of the mic pres? Stupid question, I know :P
Also, is the quality of the Apollo MKII worth it over the Focusrite 4Pre in your opinion? I’ve read and watched numerous reviews and people seem to rave about the Apollo?
One more question: Could I record a keyboard and vocal track simultaneously through the Apollo MkII?
Again, any feedback/clarification is greatly appreciated.
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks.
Could I record 1 mic and the hi-z at the same time on the Apollo? I’m assuming that the hi-z
is only shared with 1 of the mic pres? Stupid question, I know :P
Also, is the quality of the Apollo MKII worth it over the Focusrite 4Pre in your opinion? I’ve read and watched numerous reviews and people seem to rave about the Apollo?
One more question: Could I record a keyboard and vocal track simultaneously through the Apollo MkII?
Again, any feedback/clarification is greatly appreciated.
Yes you could record mic and hi-z at the same time.

On the Apollo you have 2 channels only. Keyboard would have to be in mono to record vocal.

As to sound quality I haven't used either....maybe some bias in this test but still may be interesting.

Thunderbolt Interface Shootout | Focusrite

Googling Clarett vs Apollo will yield plenty of results if you want to see what others have to say on the matter.
Old 13th February 2018
Here for the gear

Thx
Old 13th February 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post

You mentioned that the Focusrite 4 pre has 2 channels “switchable” to hi-z? Probably another stupid question (newbie talking) but how can you switch these 2 inputs to hi-z? And when you say channels do you mean inputs?
So the Focusrite does not have the hi-z inputs shared with the mic preamps? What is the benefit of the Apollo’s hi-z shared with the mic pres?
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
You mentioned that the Focusrite 4 pre has 2 channels “switchable” to hi-z? Probably another stupid question (newbie talking) but how can you switch these 2 inputs to hi-z? And when you say channels do you mean inputs?
The first two inputs or channels on the front of the Focusrite are useable as Mic in (XLR), Line in (Jack) and Hi-Z (switchable in software control panel I guess)

Quote:
So the Focusrite does not have the hi-z inputs shared with the mic preamps? What is the benefit of the Apollo’s hi-z shared with the mic pres?
No they are shared just the same as the Apollo....but in case of Focusrite there are still two other mic preamps AND another 4 line inputs on the back panel.
Old 13th February 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks again, you cleared things up for me
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search