The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help me rec. acoustic guitar
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Help me rec. acoustic guitar

If there is any help to be had.

So I got my gear a week or two ago, and I'm mclovin' it. I've been writing music on the flattop for over ten years and now I can finally lay some of it down. The thing is, that I have no idea about how to lay a whole track with the guitar, which is the first thing i (think) i have to do.
I set the tempo, get it peachy, commence with the gitfiddling...
How in tf can you play 3 minutes of gitfiddle in perfect time? Let alone one minute. And not hit a miss lick either?
And then you throw in pauses (for suspense and added value: "mclovin it") and tempo changes and i might as well butt f my doorknob.
I can play my songs perfectly (since perfection is subjective I can say that)
But add a metronome and try to figure out when to pause, how many clicks to hold it, how to speed up the tempo with the click going, how to slow it back down, how to end the song ect ect ect
Not to mention the energy the music loses when I have to walk with the metro.
This whole ordeal I've just layed before you is by far my biggest problem. If i can figure this out I will be the next Dewey Cox. Mark my words. The next Dewey Cox. Big. Believe me. #trump

Im serious though I can't figure this sh out
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Practice. For years.

By "practice," I mean methodical practice, with a metronome, even.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
How in tf can you play 3 minutes of gitfiddle in perfect time? Let alone one minute. And not hit a miss lick either?
Its called talent. You need to practice and the more you practice , the better you will get. There is no magic button you press to make yourself play guitar good and in time. Also, some people with years of practice still wont be able to do this.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Its called talent. You need to practice and the more you practice , the better you will get. There is no magic button you press to make yourself play guitar good and in time. Also, some people with years of practice still wont be able to do this.
Is it the product of talent or dilligence? You do know those terms are somewhat oppositional, right? Coupled.. Catalysts... But independently they're nonexclusive. So I'm not sure which one you really mean. Can you clarify? Personally, playing to a metronome doesn't really fit my criterion of musical talent, I give more weight to things like assimilation and creativity.

So is it talent or practice? Thanks.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventil View Post
Practice. For years.

By "practice," I mean methodical practice, with a metronome, even.
Thanks man.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is it the product of talent or dilligence? You do know those terms are somewhat oppositional, right? Coupled.
With practice, you acquire talent. There not oppositional at all.
Quote:
Personally, playing to a metronome doesn't really fit my criterion of musical talent, I give more weight to things like assimilation and creativity.
Well if you wan tot play in time like your post says you want to do, you will have to put in hard work and play to a metronome or any kind of drum beat that keeps timing. this is how you acquire good timing.

Creativity has nothing to do with playing in time.
You can be creative, but if you do not have the talent to put what is in your head and play a guitar track and play in time, then creativity is just a thought.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWEETMOTHERMARY View Post
Is it the product of talent or dilligence? You do know those terms are somewhat oppositional, right? Coupled.. Catalysts... But independently they're nonexclusive. So I'm not sure which one you really mean. Can you clarify? Personally, playing to a metronome doesn't really fit my criterion of musical talent, I give more weight to things like assimilation and creativity.

So is it talent or practice? Thanks.
You don't need to take CJs advice, but if I were you I would. The point he's making is that it's a combination of both, diligence and talent. You have to put years of work in to be a decent guitarist, and even then, some people never will.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Start with something short and simple and easy. Like "Happy Birthday," which is actually good because it's got a pause before the last line. Print the click first, then track a guitar/vocal "roadmap" track,* then track your guitar. Do it in pieces and edit if you have to. Get the guitar down, play another part or two, do a vocal and a harmony or three.

Get that first one under your belt, the next one will come easier.

* The roadmap won't matter for "Happy Birthday," but in a 4-minute tune it'll keep you from getting lost.

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 3 weeks ago at 05:28 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Geariophile

Quote:
With practice, you acquire talent.

Not in my reality. But something tells me we have been there with this already.

OP, practice is indeed what is the long term empowerment here. But meanwhile, try to record with a click that only lasts about 16 bars into your tune or so and then disappears. You will get takes that still work editing between because they all started from the same place of pace. But also get complete freedom to drag and push at will without fighting to 'ignore' the click and then finding your way 'back in'. Edit together what you need by ear until happy. If you must, adjust the grid to it last by making the daw learn it as a grid.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not in my reality
But meanwhile, try to record with a click that only lasts about 16 bars into your tune or so and then disappears.
What you wrote is practice, LOL
Old 3 weeks ago
Geariophile

Quote:
What you wrote is practice, LOL
Sure, it will function as that. It might also get him some results. Now.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yes, practicing will get results. Thats a fact.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

What they said.

Practice, but it depends on what and how you practice.

If you practice crap, it stays crap. Work on weaknesses, it gets better.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Can anyone offer any technical advice on how to record in time when there are tempo changes? I just came up with a progression and the chorus is at a faster tempo than the verses. I guess if there was a pause before the chorus I could stop the track and change the metronome, but there isn't a pause in this particular song.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

And as far as practice, I have been practicing for hours at a time with the metronome for weeks. I have a short attention span I suppose, and I can get enveloped in playing the actual song and never misfire, but when it comes to following a click I can't keep concentration. Maybe somebody here on gearslutz can pm me some adderall. That was a joke don't ban me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWEETMOTHERMARY View Post
Can anyone offer any technical advice on how to record in time when there are tempo changes? I just came up with a progression and the chorus is at a faster tempo than the verses. I guess if there was a pause before the chorus I could stop the track and change the metronome, but there isn't a pause in this particular song.
There are a lot of songs that have different tempos and time signatures throughout the songs duration. To achieve this with a click track or metronome, you will make tempo changes in your DAW's Tempo Map. You just make the changes to the tempo ware you want it and your good to go. Then just play a long with it and record it.

CJ
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Well, here is something I figured out on my own nobody mentioned. I'm going to post it here for posterity. Probably so obvious it was looked over.

Find the tempo of the song, record a few bars of the guitar in time.
Then, make a simple drum beat in with vsti over the few bars you recorded.
Then delete the original recording and record over the drum beat with your guitar. Having the percussion in there makes it much easier than just having the metro.

Map out the song with the drums first. Know how many bars are in the verse, chorus ect.
And if you have, say, a four beat pause before the chorus, leave a signal such as a cymbal on the last beat, and leave just the kick in for four beats so you can keep time. This is a breakthrough for me.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search