The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Where to find reviews of studios in the L.A. area
Old 21st January 2018
Here for the gear

Where to find reviews of studios in the L.A. area

Hi, I'm based in Northern California, but I go to L.A. for business fairly often and some of my collaborators are located there. I'm looking for a studio to shoot a performance video at, and also mix an album. While there are plenty of studios with slick websites, and I will visit some of them, what's missing is people's feedback on what they are like to actually work with on something. Who/where should I ask? Thanks!
Old 21st January 2018
Change your location so you can see google reviews fro each studio when they come up on the search.
Old 23rd January 2018
Here for the gear

On the recording studio side, Warren Huart's tours have covered a lot of them. YouTube
Old 23rd January 2018
First and foremost... if you haven't used Studio Referral Service before, you should. Ellis and his team are great and they always hook me up with the perfect studio for my needs.

Recording studios - find a recording studio at Studio Referral Service

Ellis has great working relationships with studios throughout LA and also around the world. He works with big and small studios alike. At first I was intimidated to call because I know Ellis has done studio bookings around the world for big artists like Lady Gaga and Mariah Carey, etc. But when I finally did call him looking for a small $50/hr or less studio to record vocals in for a local indie project... he gave me a list of 8 phenomenal places in LA... and I have been using him ever since. He has been able to get me into famous studios that would never call me back for bookings (I was trying to book a famous studio for a rhythm section session and they weren't calling me back... I called Ellis and 30 minutes later he had booked the session for me).

And the best part is, SRS is free for us. The studios pay a percentage of the booking. anyway, if you haven't checked out SRS... I definitely recommend it. Not just for LA but for San Fran and pretty much anywhere else around the world. I know he has deals worked out with studio throughout the US, Canada, Europe, the middle east, central america, etc. It's pretty amazing what he can do.

Also, not sure if you've looked at yelp but most of the big and small recording studios in LA are on yelp. The only downside to yelp is they lump recording studios, mastering studios, rehearsal studios, mastering studios and audio post production studios together into he same category... but you can scroll through the list and just by looking at the page you can usually tell which ones are recording studios.

Here are a few music recording studios on yelp that I have used in the past...

NRG Recording Studios

Larrabee Studios

The Village Recorders

East West Studios

The Bridge

Westlake Studios

Clearlake Audio

Stagg Street Studios

Boulevard Studios (Formerly Producer's Workshop

ES Audio

Grandmaster Recorders

Paramount Music Studios

Sunset Sound

Glenwood Place

Chalice

Ocean Way Studios (Now called United Recording Studios)
Old 26th January 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
First and foremost... if you haven't used Studio Referral Service before, you should. Ellis and his team are great and they always hook me up with the perfect studio for my needs.[snip]
Thanks a million!!!!! Wow, this is amazing. Perfect for my needs.
Old 26th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellic View Post
Thanks a million!!!!! Wow, this is amazing. Perfect for my needs.
oh nuts... what happened to my list of studios? I can't see them in my post anymore... that's weird. There is supposed to be a list of links to studios in LA.
Old 26th January 2018
what's even more weird is if you quote my post above... you will see all the text for the links in the reply... Let me quote it and see if it just shows up in the quote.
Old 26th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
First and foremost... if you haven't used Studio Referral Service before, you should. Ellis and his team are great and they always hook me up with the perfect studio for my needs.

Recording studios - find a recording studio at Studio Referral Service

Ellis has great working relationships with studios throughout LA and also around the world. He works with big and small studios alike. At first I was intimidated to call because I know Ellis has done studio bookings around the world for big artists like Lady Gaga and Mariah Carey, etc. But when I finally did call him looking for a small $50/hr or less studio to record vocals in for a local indie project... he gave me a list of 8 phenomenal places in LA... and I have been using him ever since. He has been able to get me into famous studios that would never call me back for bookings (I was trying to book a famous studio for a rhythm section session and they weren't calling me back... I called Ellis and 30 minutes later he had booked the session for me).

And the best part is, SRS is free for us. The studios pay a percentage of the booking. anyway, if you haven't checked out SRS... I definitely recommend it. Not just for LA but for San Fran and pretty much anywhere else around the world. I know he has deals worked out with studio throughout the US, Canada, Europe, the middle east, central america, etc. It's pretty amazing what he can do.

Also, not sure if you've looked at yelp but most of the big and small recording studios in LA are on yelp. The only downside to yelp is they lump recording studios, mastering studios, rehearsal studios, mastering studios and audio post production studios together into he same category... but you can scroll through the list and just by looking at the page you can usually tell which ones are recording studios.

Here are a few music recording studios on yelp that I have used in the past...

NRG Recording Studios

Larrabee Studios

The Village Recorders

East West Studios

The Bridge

Westlake Studios

Clearlake Audio

Stagg Street Studios

Boulevard Studios (Formerly Producer's Workshop

ES Audio

Grandmaster Recorders

Paramount Music Studios

Sunset Sound

Glenwood Place

Chalice

Ocean Way Studios (Now called United Recording Studios)
Let's see if the list is now visible inside the quote box.
Old 27th January 2018
Here for the gear

@Etch-A-Sketch, thanks for all the recommendations. I appreciate your taking the time to put the list together as well. I am very happy to indicate that we are touring Capitol and NRG to start, and will probably pick one of those two for the video shoot. Hard to believe I may actually be able to shoot the video at Capitol, though I would be paying a lot for the privilege. So much history there.
Old 27th January 2018
Quote:
@Etch-A-Sketch, thanks for all the recommendations. I appreciate your taking the time to put the list together as well. I am very happy to indicate that we are touring Capitol and NRG to start, and will probably pick one of those two for the video shoot. Hard to believe I may actually be able to shoot the video at Capitol, though I would be paying a lot for the privilege. So much history there.
No problem. Capitol is great, but if you are shooting video NRG might ultimately look cooler since NRG has a much more visual experience to each room (with all the colors and fabrics and stuff).

NRG has some history too but not like Capitol. Capitol sounds great but it is very bland visually. Lots of wood and grey colors. You’ll see what I mean when you tour the two.

NRG is also less expensive than Capitol... so there is that too. Both studios sound great.

If part of the video is going to be the story of recording in a studio with a rich history then Capitol is the way to go. If the story of the video is more about you recording then NRG might be better because the studios look cooler and would act as a much better visual backdrop.
Old 27th January 2018
Quote:
Also if you haven’t considered it yetx also check out East West Studios 1 or 2. Lots of history there too (Sinatra also used to record in EastWest studio 1 a lot).

East West is also very visual with lots of colors and lighting and each studio has a pretty “hip” lounge that comes with it for shooting interviews or b roll.

East west is about the same price as Capitol. So if you haven’t considered it yet as Ellis about it. He has connections there. Or you can just call them, they are all cool people over there.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search