The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to buy accapellas for remixing purposes?
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Thread Starter
How to buy accapellas for remixing purposes?

Hi there,

Where can i find real accapellas of songs i like and would like to remix. I would pay for it im not looking for anything generic. Anyways, how does one remix. I mean lets say i got an accapella of a rock song and turned it into a dnb track. Whats next do i have to pay that artist something like royalties? Or watever its called. What are the steps. I would like to go the legal way. Like maybe original artist be aware i remixed his track.
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Gear Addict
 
FreshProduce's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrapKontrol View Post
Hi there,

Where can i find real accapellas of songs i like and would like to remix. I would pay for it im not looking for anything generic. Anyways, how does one remix. I mean lets say i got an accapella of a rock song and turned it into a dnb track. Whats next do i have to pay that artist something like royalties? Or watever its called. What are the steps. I would like to go the legal way. Like maybe original artist be aware i remixed his track.
You wouldn't pay royalties unless you, yourself were earning money off of said patent.

It is still respectful to give credit where credit is due.
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrapKontrol View Post
Hi there,

Where can i find real accapellas of songs i like and would like to remix. I would pay for it im not looking for anything generic. Anyways, how does one remix. I mean lets say i got an accapella of a rock song and turned it into a dnb track. Whats next do i have to pay that artist something like royalties? Or watever its called. What are the steps. I would like to go the legal way. Like maybe original artist be aware i remixed his track.
The legal way is to contact the label that owns the song/masters that you want to remix. Express interest in doing a remix. If they like you and your previous work, they will send you a contract that says you have no rights or claims on the remix and it will be a “work for hire” and they will own it. They will pay you between $3000-$5000 to do the remix. After all the paperwork and NDAs are signed they will send you the masters including isolated vocal tracks and you do your remix. When it is done you turn it in to the label. They will probably give you notes and ask for changes. You do those and send those in. Once approved you are done and you pray the label will release the remix as a single.

Usually within the contract your lawyer will fight for a clause that allows you to use your remix at your live concerts, but the label won’t let you sell any copies of it on your own. If you get permission to use it, then when you DJ at clubs you can play it in your set.

You could go the other route, which would be to sample the song into a new song that you are writing. After it is all done you have to submit the song to the label AND music publisher for “sample clearance”. Which can be a whole other can of worms
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Gear Addict
 
FreshProduce's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
After it is all done you have to submit the song to the label AND music publisher for “sample clearance”. Which can be a whole other can of worms
This process can take quite a long time for sure.
Old 3 days ago
  #5
Here for the gear
 

Thread Starter
Thanks guys. However regarding accapellas themselves. Any good site selling accepellas of know artists?
Old 3 days ago
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrapKontrol View Post
Thanks guys. However regarding accapellas themselves. Any good site selling accepellas of know artists?
That is the whole point. There are none. And even if there were, you can’t just use it. You would still need to get permission from the publisher and label.
Old 2 days ago
  #7
Here for the gear
 

Thread Starter
Well couldnt u just find an accapella somewhere. Remix ur track and send it to owners to listen to? Where do most famous artists get quality accapellas?! Are there some unknown secrets to this? Cuz making an accapella requires more effort than anything else...at least to me.
Old 2 days ago
  #8
Gear Addict
 
FreshProduce's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrapKontrol View Post
Well couldnt u just find an accapella somewhere. Remix ur track and send it to owners to listen to? Where do most famous artists get quality accapellas?! Are there some unknown secrets to this? Cuz making an accapella requires more effort than anything else...at least to me.
Do you know what an accapella is..?
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump