The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommend me a DAW for my puposes Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Recommend me a DAW for my puposes

Hi,

I know there are millions of similar threads on the internet, however it's hard to make sense of them all as everyone's needs are different.

I am looking to get back into music production as a hobby. I used to use Apple Logic a fair bit. I liked it a lot because of it's ease of use, but mostly because of the extensive library of loops and virtual instruments. I am purely on Windows now after selling my ancient MacBook Pro. I have already gone down the Hackintosh route but didn't have much luck doing that.

My needs: Want to flesh out some of my musical ideas. For my ideas, it would be a mix between real and software instruments. Something like recording vocals, guitar, and maybe bass with real instruments, and the rest using virtual instruments/ percussion loops.
Preferably something with a large collection of included instruments/loops with the core software. Again, it's a hobby, so wouldn't be wanting to shell out a lot of money in addition for instrument plugins etc. Hence why I liked Logic.

Ableton, Cubase, Studio One, and Reason have been thrown around, however not sure what's right for me.

TIA
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steady_eddy91 View Post
Hi,

I know there are millions of similar threads on the internet, however it's hard to make sense of them all as everyone's needs are different.

I am looking to get back into music production as a hobby. I used to use Apple Logic a fair bit. I liked it a lot because of it's ease of use, but mostly because of the extensive library of loops and virtual instruments. I am purely on Windows now after selling my ancient MacBook Pro. I have already gone down the Hackintosh route but didn't have much luck doing that.

My needs: Want to flesh out some of my musical ideas. For my ideas, it would be a mix between real and software instruments. Something like recording vocals, guitar, and maybe bass with real instruments, and the rest using virtual instruments/ percussion loops.
Preferably something with a large collection of included instruments/loops with the core software. Again, it's a hobby, so wouldn't be wanting to shell out a lot of money in addition for instrument plugins etc. Hence why I liked Logic.

Ableton, Cubase, Studio One, and Reason have been thrown around, however not sure what's right for me.

TIA
What's your budget? Based on your requirements Cubase might be your best bet. The cubase VI and midi is the best. The audio aspects are great as well.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Neither is anyone here. It's an impossible question to answer. Your best bet is downloading trial copies, etc and giving them a whirl. Opinions are like (you know) and there's no definitive answer to say the least. A DAW one person will swear by is what someone else will say stinks. etc etc.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal_SINE View Post
What's your budget?
Probably a few hundred. So you think Cubase has a more extensive stock midi collection than some of the others listed? But also handles audio recording pretty well?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Probably a few hundred. So you think Cubase has a more extensive stock midi collection than some of the others listed? But also handles audio recording pretty well?
The stock midi is not extensive. The editing is really good.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks. I've installed Cubase Elements and will have a play around with it for a few weeks. Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Sonar Professional or Platinum seems close to you. Lots of great stock plugins. Including things such as Addictive drums. Easy workflow. Not as expensive either which is great. They also feature pretty decent demo's.

For "me" time I find Sonar great fun. I don't know why but I always get excited by the looks and how it works versus my workhorse (protools.)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Reaper is great!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Regardless of which DAW you opt for, my advice would be: choose the DAW based on which DAW you like best - THEN figure out what virtual instruments/loops etc you really need once you've explored it for a few weeks. There are a TON of reasonably priced bundles, libraries, etc out there - but the one thing you'll be interacting with constantly is the DAW, so get one you like.

All modern DAWs have more than adequate MIDI programming and audio recording functions for the kind of thing you're doing. But since you're used to Logic, it does make sense to go with more of a Cubase or StudioOne flavour, as those have a similar workflow. Ableton is very different; people who love it, love it, but you'd probably find it more of a conceptual learning curve, and not necessarily one that's worth the effort if you were happy with Logic.

As a life-long Cubase user, I'd expect that after a couple weeks with Elements, you'll probably conclude that Cubase is a good match.

The full version of Cubase comes with a few perfectly decent virtual instruments - GrooveAgentOne (or whatever the free GA version is currently called) has decent one shots and a sizeable loop collection (though I never use loops so don't know how up-to-date/desirable they are; but for sketching out ideas ... they should get you going), Retrologue is a pretty respectable classic synth, Padshop does what it says on the tin.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search