The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
In a Speaker Monitor, what dictates the crossover frequencies? Studio Monitors
Old 12th January 2018
Here for the gear

In a Speaker Monitor, what dictates the crossover frequencies?

tl;dr
What is responsible for the low to high frequency crossover in a speaker monitor? The audio circuit board? The amplifier board? The drivers themselves?

Long version
I had a pair of Rokit RP6G2 and one of them had the woofer signal die, the tweeter still made sound so I know it's still a good woofer, but the amplifier board doesn't work. I decided to spend $100 to fix it. I looked on Craigslist for a replacement to swap parts but there was nothing. Instead, I saw the 8-inch version being sold for $100 a piece. I didn't want to mismatch the monitor sizes, so I offered $150 for both 8-inch RP8G2 monitors. Low and behold, one of the RP8G2 monitors did not put out a signal for LF/HF but did power on. He offered me $100 for both (I wanted each for $75). I took the deal knowing the woofer and tweeters are worth $60 total. I decided to inspect the internals and saw that the pieces looked identical to the 6-inch version I had. A few screws loose later I had both RP8G2 working, I swapped the 6-inch signal/audio board to the broken 8-inch monitor and now works in outputting LF/HF. The issue that I am having is I am wondering if the 8-inch monitor is acting like a 6-inch monitor because of the crossover frequency. The only difference that I can see between them according to the specs is the crossover frequency and the total power usage (which I know is handled by the amplifier board). So the question becomes, does this 8-inch monitor have a crossover frequency of the 6-inch monitor? What controls or dictates this crossover frequency. If it's the drivers themselves, how does that work if the tweeter is interchangeable between models? Possibly just the woofer?

Thanks for all the help. I'm no pro but I do like the sound of these monitors and hope they last haha.
Old 13th January 2018
unless there is a pot on the back that allows you adjust the crossover point, most will be hard wired internal to the monitor. The specs should tell you not only the crossover frequency, but the slope of the cross over point. With KRK's it's mostly hardwired to what the manufacturer determines best and looking at the link below, the crossover is after the limiter but before the amplifier block.

http://www.krksys.com/manuals/vxt/vx...eet_3_2010.pdf

As far as a different crossover points between 6 and 8 inch drivers, one would think their would be a slight adjustment but KRK might save costs by putting in the same crossover for both units.
Old 14th January 2018
Here for the gear

How does it sound? If your ears are good, first thing would be listen to something you are really familiar with. If it sounds different than what you recall- it is not right. Monitors are supposed to be a reference, If you rely on them to represent your intent in mixing- You have just lost your reference by switching components. Sell them and buy something that hasn't been altered.
Are the components of both units matched, or does one have 6" parts and the other 8" parts? If they're not matched but you 'like' the way they sound- use them like home stereo gear.
To really know what to do would take more test equipment than the speakers are worth. . . and you need to get degrees in acoustics and electronics.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search