The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shure M367 mono preamp and Tascam Recorder Condenser Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Shure M367 mono preamp and Tascam Recorder

Hello,

I have Shure M367 6 channel mono portable mic preamp, that has 6 input channels and two mic/line output.

I also have a Tascam DP-008EX portastudio multi track digital recorder.

The Tascam recorder has two separate mic inputs A & B and can record simultaneously those two separate inputs.

I was thinking about using an AKG P420 large diaphragm mic to record the ambient sound of an instrument like a nice acoustic guitar into one of the Tascam recorder mono channel, let's say channel A and then use an end address type cardiod mic like a Rode NT3 to get the more direct guitar sound pointed at the 12th fret aproximately and record this in the other mono input channel B of the Tascam recorder.

The problem is that the I don't know if it's possible to do that using this Shure M367 preamp, since it's got the 6 input but seems like you can only use one output?

Just for the record, the 2nd output that says "Line" can be internally changed to a mic level output, but I think it does not make a difference in what I am looking for, which is to have two separate different microphones to be individually preamp and go into the recorder A & B individual mono channels, so that I could use those two individual A and B channels to create a Left and Right stereo master track later.

Thanks a lot
Attached Thumbnails
Shure M367 mono preamp and Tascam Recorder-20171027_100322.jpg  

Last edited by javierj; 1 week ago at 02:56 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I don’t see a way to get two simultaneous separate outputs from that mono mixer.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Got it!

Thanks a lot!

I wonder what are the two mono output for, like for example on which setting would you use those two mono output for or could you only use one or the other?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by javierj View Post
Got it!

Thanks a lot!

I wonder what are the two mono output for, like for example on which setting would you use those two mono output for or could you only use one or the other?
There is probably literature from Shure explaining their intent. I haven’t looked for it. My guess is that the “extra” output that can be switched to mic level would allow you to daisy chain this into another mixer through a mic input.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

I read on the Shure M367 manual, about connecting this M367 mixer to another mixer, but they say to do this you can use this "Mix bus jack"
Attached Thumbnails
Shure M367 mono preamp and Tascam Recorder-20171113_085930.jpg  

Last edited by javierj; 6 days ago at 04:09 PM.. Reason: Update
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

This is what I got from Shure support about it:
Attached Thumbnails
Shure M367 mono preamp and Tascam Recorder-screenshot_20171113-095446.jpg  
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
I looked at the online literature also. I read it as saying you can safely use both outputs at the same time, but they will have identical mono content. The two outputs are useful because they can be set up to feed different levels and impedances to following equipment. Each output is transformer isolated to reduce the possibility of ground loops or hum when interconnecting equipment.
With the included limiter this is a well thought out pro mono mixer capable of simultaneous live and broadcast mixing for meetings and conferences (as two examples). It was probably not designed or intended for music recording, but it specs out as capable of quality recording. The lack of panning and stereo outputs unfortunately limit its usefulness. I can’t think of how I could use it for recording.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
If that is your 1202 mixer in the picture, it will do everything you want to do with the Shure. I don’t think the Shure adds anything, unless you need six additional sources mixed to mono.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Yes I also have an old Behringer 1202fx mixer that I used for small live applications, but I am not planning to use it for recording.

I got the Shure M367 preamp/mixer because of it being portable, just in case I needed the portability and also because it had good reviews about it's sound quality as a mic preamp and the price was good.

I think I can also use it as a mono mic preamp and record everything into separate input track on the multi track Tascam recorder and then export each individual track to Pro Tools on the computer and then create a stereo master track using each individual mono tracks.

Also about what I wrote on my original post in wanting to be able to use two different microphones to record a mono source, like an acoustic guitar, this was mainly for blending of the two microphones, one that captures more the sound of the guitar directly (the Rode NT3 mic) and the other that gets more of the ambient sound (the AKG P420). I think I could still achieve that even with a mono single output mic preamp. Maybe it's not necessary to have individual outputs or stereo output mixer to be able to to this. It would be just like those acoustic electric guitar pickups that have an undersaddle pickup transducer and a small microphone or soundboard transducer and it blends a mono signal.

Does this make sense or sounds right?

Last edited by javierj; 5 days ago at 06:51 PM.. Reason: Mistake
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

The M367 was not designed for recording as its' primary application, although it can certainly be used in a "pinch". It was meant to be used in the broadcasting business, specifically in remote situations. The reason that there are (2) line outs (1 /w a mic-level switch), yet one mix bus, is to split the mixer's signal to two different destinations...typically to a mobile uplink/transmitter and simultaneously to a monitor amplifier or console.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Yes now I realize that the Shure M367 was not such a good choice as a mic preamp for recording music or songs. I got it because I wanted to have the portability of being able to use it as a mic preamp for on location recording, along with the Tascam DP-008ex portable recorder and also try to get the most out of it by using it as a mono mic preamp for home recording, before I get a better more suitable mic preamp for home recording.

Last edited by javierj; 5 days ago at 07:07 PM.. Reason: edit
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by javierj View Post
Also about what I wrote on my original post in wanting to be able to use two different microphones to record a mono source, like an acoustic guitar, this was mainly for blending of the two microphones, one that captures more the sound of the guitar directly (the Rode NT3 mic) and the other that gets more of the ambient sound (the AKG P420). I think I could still achieve that even with a mono single output mic preamp. Maybe it's not necessary to have individual outputs or stereo output mixer to be able to to this. It would be just like those acoustic electric guitar pickups that have an undersaddle pickup transducer and a small microphone or soundboard transducer and it blends a mono signal.

Does this make sense or sounds right?
Yes, you can certainly use this mixer to blend multiple mics on one source, as is often done on guitar amps, or to blend a pickup with a mic.
I’d be curious how the Behringer compares with the Shure on the same source with the same mic. I’m very familiar with the sound of the small Behringer mixers, but I haven’t recorded through a Shure broadcast mixer since the 1970s. I think the small Behringer mixers actually sound cleaner than their rack gear, or at least that was true 15 years ago.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

I also like to use this Shure M367 for live applications, as sound reinforcement. I have already tried it like that along with me Behringer mixer and it sounds okay but maybe I should not use two preamps. Now I want to try it without the Behringer mixer and maybe a nice rack EQ in between.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search