The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Trouble Coercing Ride Cymbal out of Overheads
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Trouble Coercing Ride Cymbal out of Overheads

Hi there,

So I'm busy mixing a classic hard rock type song and it's all coming together nicely, except the overheads.. I've received all the stems so there's no retakes on mic placements / revisions with tracking.

The overheads are one stereo, the drummer was playing quite hard and there are two parts where he plays the ride cymbal, which I can't get to pop out in the mix. It's like one big wash of sustained cymbal throughout the high frequency spectrum and somewhere underneath that I can hear the ride. if I try boost the sweet spot of the ride I also bring up the ringing sustainedness of the cymbals, which doesn't sound good. And if I try cut around it I ruin the overhead sound.

Has anyone got experience dealing with an issue like this? I can always layer a ride sample over it as a last resort but I would like keeping most of the original sounds in-tact.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Yeah this can happen especially if he's one of those guys with dual crashes waaay high and then the ride parked and inch above the floor tom/kick.

If you're saying he plays the ride two times as in hits the cymbal twice i would layer a sample over it (one with more ping than wash for sure).

If you're saying he plays the ride in two sections of the tune then i would go the extreme automation route and have an eq automated to bring out as much stick out of the thing as possible and pull out the masking stuff from the crashes. Maybe try a transient plug could help with definition? Also may a slower attack (relatively) de,esser would help clean up the OH. I use a desser when room mics are too washy with cymbals and it can help a little bit.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Hi Myles, yeah I'm thinking sample layering now.. on two sections of the tune. That de-essing idea sounds amazing, so I'm first gonna try that to see if it brings more clarity to the ride in a last attempt. Thanks man!

Last edited by MichaelDude; 4 days ago at 03:36 PM.. Reason: Spelling error
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search