The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Akg c314 vs Neumann u87
Old 5th October 2017
Gear Nut

Akg c314 vs Neumann u87

so i have a Akg c314 and am using a 710 twin finity pre into apollo twin and Ableton on a 2015 MacBook pro, i'm not getting the professional sound i want as far as vocals, back in 2005 i was using a ksm27 and cheap mic pre and getting better results and using cubase, so my question is does it sound like a gain staging problem? i've tried every single configuration and mic proximity possible and can only achieve a decent sound at best, not pro. So i was thinking about getting a Neumann u87 or even trying the Ksm 32 first as to try and trouble shoot what part of the chain needs to be upgraded in order to get a truly pro sound that i'm trying to achieve. my eq and compressing is where it needs to be and mastering as well, but i'm more concerned with the original recording as i feel it just doesn't have the juice/depth/warmth and feel I'm looking for.

So all in all does the Neumann u87 have that much of a noticeable difference from the akg c314 for vocals, or can i get fairly close to a similar recording using the c314 and just need to rethink something else i'm doing wrong?
Old 5th October 2017
Gear Nut

Neumann u87 is a better microphone than Akg C314.
But before you buy a new microphone think of all the other parameters that affect the quality of your recording.
If back in 2005 you were using cheaper gear and you were getting better results, the first thing that
comes to mind is that you were recording in a better room.
Treating your room acoustically, will have a lot more impact on the quality than replacing your microphone
or your mic pre, except if there is something wrong with this gear and doesn't function well for some reason.

710 Twin-Finity is a very nice mic pre. If you are recording in the proper levels it should give you a good sound.
Think about gain staging. Are your recording levels ok?

So my suggestion is start with your room, think about the conditions you were recording in back in 2005 and compare.
Then check your pre amp. Are the tubes very old and need replacement?
Old 5th October 2017
Gear Nut

thanks for the advice bedroom studio, ill look into getting some treatment and messing around with stuff some more

btw all the stuff has been bought new and sounds and feels like its working properly
Old 15th July 2019
Here for the gear

I have a C314 matched pair because I like to record my voice in stereo. I’m feeding them into a Steinberg UR22mkII with Cubase 10 Elements. These are excellent mics…but, they pickup EVERYTHING! So you have to use them in a sound isolation booth or a very quiet, room with some bass traps to get the best from it.
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Nut

They are very different mics. I auditioned various versions of 414s (which are very similar to 314s), and they sounded terrible on my voice. Neumanns sound great on my voice. Maybe other people sound similar on an AKG and a Neumann, but for me it's worlds apart in sound. Your voice simply might not like the 314. My voice can't stand the 414.

remember: if you are going up to a u87ai, that is an expensive mic. there are other worthy players at that price and below. so if you are going to spend that kind of money, audition things until you find something you really like.
Old 19th July 2019
You can't go wrong with a u87 imho, and it's simply a much higher quality microphone than your c314, but you'll need to work on your room sound and probably
your recording technique either way.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search