The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Microphone recommendation pls... Condenser Microphones
Old 4th October 2017
Gear Head

Microphone recommendation pls...

Hi Everyone, I need a mic to record both solo and group vocals. Any particular mic to suit my need? I do mostly pop/rock and christian music. I am currently using se 2200a II c and i want a better mic for vocal and guitar recording. My main concern is vocal. Kindly help me pls....
Old 4th October 2017
Lives for gear

I have an se2200a II c and it is one of my better mics for for vocals. I also have a Miktek C1 which I do consider a step up from the se2200a.

You might want to give a hint as to what your budget is.
Old 4th October 2017
Gear Nut

I agree that the sE2200A II c is a good microphone.

I would also suggest the Aston Origin if you're looking for a single pattern condenser
or even better the Aston Spirit that has 3 polar patterns.

You can always go for something more expensive like an AKG C414 but it depends on your budget.

But if you are not satisfied with the sound of your recordings, it will make a bigger difference and improvement
if you invest on acoustic room treatment than to buy a new microphone.
Old 5th October 2017
Gear Head

Thank you Bros, My budget ceiling would be $1000/-. And I want one with 3 polar patterns. I need something that should sound smooth in the highs and and flat enough to record groups utilising the omni. I will also be using it for recording guitar in m/s and cardiod mode with my present se 2200a II C. I thought of the k2 by rode but i want better (if any exist in the said price). Thanks again bros...
Old 5th October 2017
Lives for gear
Since you didn’t originally specify that you were open to a tube mic, I wouldn’t have thought of the K2, but that is certainly a good choice. It has pattern choice, it is very quiet for a tube mic, is almost immune to distortion due to volume, and it is a very neutral and smooth mic. It is well under your budget.
The “very neutral” character can be considered a plus or a minus. It works well enough on everything, but it may not have enough quirks to be the most special mic on a particular voice or instrument. I’m still trying to buy and pry a pair of almost unused K2s away from a friend who seldom uses them.
Old 6th October 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Since you didn’t originally specify that you were open to a tube mic, I wouldn’t have thought of the K2, but that is certainly a good choice. It has pattern choice, it is very quiet for a tube mic, is almost immune to distortion due to volume, and it is a very neutral and smooth mic. It is well under your budget.
The “very neutral” character can be considered a plus or a minus. It works well enough on everything, but it may not have enough quirks to be the most special mic on a particular voice or instrument. I’m still trying to buy and pry a pair of almost unused K2s away from a friend who seldom uses them.
Thanks Bro. Actually i want less coloured mics as i will be using on as many source as i can (i mean vocals in general). It wil be my main vocal mic and i don't plan to purchase another unless i do drum recording (which can be totally different). all I need now is for vocals and guitar. I don't really need it to be good on guitars as long as it sounds good on vocals. i don't mind if it is tube or fet, all i need is a warm flat mic to use on both male and female as well as on groups. I don't know if i make my needs clear but, pardon me, thats all i can. I have been considering shure ksm44,44a, c414 and the k2 but no decision yet.
Old 6th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gegen View Post
Thanks Bro. Actually i want less coloured mics as i will be using on as many source as i can (i mean vocals in general). It wil be my main vocal mic and i don't plan to purchase another unless i do drum recording (which can be totally different). all I need now is for vocals and guitar. I don't really need it to be good on guitars as long as it sounds good on vocals. i don't mind if it is tube or fet, all i need is a warm flat mic to use on both male and female as well as on groups. I don't know if i make my needs clear but, pardon me, thats all i can. I have been considering shure ksm44,44a, c414 and the k2 but no decision yet.
The KSM 44 is relatively flat, not very colored, and does an excellent job with "group vocals" IME and IMHO. I do not find it "warm", although it is not harsh or strident, and is pretty smooth overall. Excellent microphone, I far prefer it to newer 414's. It may be too "realistic" for some solo voices up close, same with acoustic guitar, this mic likes a little distance from the source, IMHO. Good luck.
Old 6th October 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by edva View Post
The KSM 44 is relatively flat, not very colored, and does an excellent job with "group vocals" IME and IMHO. I do not find it "warm", although it is not harsh or strident, and is pretty smooth overall. Excellent microphone, I far prefer it to newer 414's. It may be too "realistic" for some solo voices up close, same with acoustic guitar, this mic likes a little distance from the source, IMHO. Good luck.
Thanks Bro, may be that may suit my need (if it sounds good on vocals). i know the sound of k2 and ksm44 and i want something i between, to have the warmth (if its the description) of k2 and the pleasing highs of ksm44. any suggestion pls....
Old 9th October 2017
Gear Head

so, the answer is ksm 44?
any other mic i should consider?
Old 9th October 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
so, the answer is ksm 44?
any other mic i should consider?
Why would the answer be the ksm44 and not the K2?
Old 9th October 2017
Lives for gear

Akg c-414
Old 9th October 2017
Lives for gear

Look at the Avantone pro BV-1. I think it would be perfect for what you need. Very good mic at a great price.
Old 10th October 2017
Gear Head

Thank you guys. Anymore suggestion?pls.........
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Hello guys, just got my rode k2. Anything I need to know before firing it up? Any tube modification needed? The stock tube is electro Harmonix...

Last edited by gegen; 4 weeks ago at 07:13 PM.. Reason: Spelling mistakes
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You want to consider mod'ing it before you even listen to it? Maybe you're leaning on GS opinions a bit too much. Use your ears, then if it's not up to it, consider another tube. I don't think Rode would intentionally release sub par product straight out of the box. Their reputation's at stake.

Congrats on your purchase.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
The tube swap fanatics and the boutique cable nutzos hijack a lot of threads. Maybe manufacturers of the very lowest priced tube mics don’t care to know much about tubes beyond the price, but it’s not sensible that reputable tube microphone manufacturers aren’t careful in selecting very good transformers, tubes and cabling for their products. Unless you are buying mics mainly as platforms for parts shuffling, at least audition the mic with the tube selected by the factory. They might actually know a lot more than you do about the qualities that are optimum for their design. They also buy in bulk (relative to a random audio guy), and that means you pay a lot more than they paid for a comparable tube, and a stiff premium for “better” NOS tubes.
But maybe you’re one of the few (if any) who buy a new car and replaces the front suspension before driving it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo4u View Post
You want to consider mod'ing it before you even listen to it? Maybe you're leaning on GS opinions a bit too much. Use your ears, then if it's not up to it, consider another tube. I don't think Rode would intentionally release sub par product straight out of the box. Their reputation's at stake.

Congrats on your purchase.
Thanks for the input bro. By the way do I need burn in for the mic? Actually I was considering the same that the stock tube will be more than enough for my need. But as you said after reading posts on g's I was a bit confused.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
The tube swap fanatics and the boutique cable nutzos hijack a lot of threads. Maybe manufacturers of the very lowest priced tube mics don’t care to know much about tubes beyond the price, but it’s not sensible that reputable tube microphone manufacturers aren’t careful in selecting very good transformers, tubes and cabling for their products. Unless you are buying mics mainly as platforms for parts shuffling, at least audition the mic with the tube selected by the factory. They might actually know a lot more than you do about the qualities that are optimum for their design. They also buy in bulk (relative to a random audio guy), and that means you pay a lot more than they paid for a comparable tube, and a stiff premium for “better” NOS tubes.
But maybe you’re one of the few (if any) who buy a new car and replaces the front suspension before driving it.
Thanks bro Bushman. I will remember that
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Can you suggest me a good preamp for the mic?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can you suggest me a good preamp for the mic?
With no budget ceiling? Neve!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the input bro. By the way do I need burn in for the mic? Actually I was considering the same that the stock tube will be more than enough for my need. But as you said after reading posts on g's I was a bit confused.
No. Plug the mic in an hour or so before you record with it for the first time to get it warmed up, then sing your heart out or have your client sing. Then again, I have three tube mics and two of them are over 50 years old with the original tubes so my opinion might not be worth much.

Where do people get all these weird preconceived notions like you need to retie your right shoe, hop three times on your left leg while spinning around and chanting incantations to the tube mic gods? There must be an audio gear website out there that allows comments from the general public where anyone can post some strange advice.

Burn in time is just a waste of energy IMHO. After a short period some gear might get marginally better after a few hours, but it's so slight as to be virtually imperceptible. If you're recording some internationally famous singer with your new tube mic, you might have some reason for apprehension, but otherwise, not needed. Here's your chance to experiment and come up with your own conclusions to share with the rest of us.

Mic pre's? I'm surrounded with Neve mic pre's (about 36 of them of different types) and they're all very nice, but the pre's I've been using for vocals lately are some SSL 615's I have in a rack. Those Jensen transformers are so smooth and precise.

If I was looking for a new single mic pre I'd probably consider either the Geoffery Daking single pre or the Aurora Audio Stinger depending on the budget. Best bang for the buck I think.

Last edited by voodoo4u; 4 weeks ago at 01:45 AM.. Reason: more info
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
For the group vocals, the option of OMNI will be important.

Being able remote change patterns only typically comes from tube mics.

For the mixture of those issues, I suggest you look at Advanced Audio.

the CM414 is a good choice.

They have many tube mic's in the $500 to $1000 range.

If you are only doing this for one job, get a CM414.

If you are starting a production line to do this over and over with different people, then a U87 or if that's too much, a CM67se.

I did not read all the thread, did not catch the budget.

For preamps, I suggest shopping at revive audio.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

hey gegan!
Personally, i think the preamp is more important. But, if you have money for both, everybody else's suggestions are great. If not, and u have a decent mic, try a new preamp first. It can make a world of difference
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Thanks everyone for your replies. And thanks again for all the valuable informations. Actually regarding preamp, I want only one channel with or without Di mainly for vocal recording with k2. As for the price, I want the best (if there is) below 1000/-. Thanks again for all your valuable supports.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search