The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best cable type for summing to a mono Mixcube?
Old 22nd September 2017
Best cable type for summing to a mono Mixcube?

What is the best way to take a stereo output via 1/4" outputs and push it to a single (mono) Mixcube for referencing mixes etc..?
Old 22nd September 2017
Lives for gear

You can't.
You just fed it the left or right side and then force your stereo output into mono within your DAW
Old 23rd September 2017
Forcing DAW to Mono?

I'm using ProTools 12. Other than using a Plugin, is there an easy way to force to Mono?
Old 23rd September 2017
Lives for gear

I bought a whirlwind Line combiner for this exact purpose IMP LINE LEVEL COMBINER - Catalog - Whirlwind takes two signals and makes them in to one for a mono mixcube. I'm sure one could make a cable with resistors or whatever but I'm not that clever
Old 23rd September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyintheBack View Post
I'm using ProTools 12. Other than using a Plugin, is there an easy way to force to Mono?
Go to the I/O settings and set-up a mono bus and map it to whatever output you want to use on your interface. Have that mono bus receive the same mix as the master bus.

I do this same set-up with Reaper, sending a mono mix to one Avantone mixcube. Works great.
Old 23rd September 2017
Lives for gear

If none of the previous ideas work this is how they do it in larger set ups. Not that expensive and better workflow.

1) A little monitor controller like this, Drawmer Electronics - CMC2 Compact Monitor Controller
source select, select B monitors, hit mono button. Have your regular pair on A and one Avantone on B. Most monitor controllers can do this.

2) Step up controllers like MC2.1 add L or R only plus still have a mono button, so you can have a stereo set up and select L or R of any of the pairs on the controller for mono. This is most efficient.

I visit Tom Elmhirst from time to time and he has but two pairs of speakers: ATC 50s and his Auratones on the meter bridge. Uses both of them for some of the big records he works on like David Bowie's last-Adele-U2 etc. Likes and uses mono.

Glad to see you are doing this, its a very important step of the overall audio process, can save you from some major phase mistakes or problems with mics you didn't know were there. Useful in tracking and mixing.

Brad
Old 24th September 2017
Lives for gear

Like Brad Lunde says . . I also use a monitor controller, the SPL 2Control is great for this as it has a dedicated mono out.

Logic outputs stereo to the SPL . . . then the SPL has three selectable outputs, 2 stereo pairs for your regular monitors (in my case Adam A7Xs and NS10s) and a dedicated mono XLR output for your Mixcube, all the summing to mono from the stereo signal is done internally in the SPL.

Additionally you also have a mono button if you want to throw your regular monitors into mono as well.
Old 25th September 2017
Why Not Wye?

I used this :: Figure 4. Balanced summing box using 1/4" TRS connectors :: for my mixcube. Works fine.
Old 25th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchbend View Post
Go to the I/O settings and set-up a mono bus and map it to whatever output you want to use on your interface. Have that mono bus receive the same mix as the master bus.

I do this same set-up with Reaper, sending a mono mix to one Avantone mixcube. Works great.
this
Old 28th September 2017
Gear Guru

a potentially viable low cost solution could be provided by the recent Mackie Big Knob Passive.
it looks as though it provides two switchable sources and destinations along with a volume knob,
mute and mono. it also has a mini jack in option. collapsing to mono and quick
access to a dedicated control and switching monitors is usually hard to beat.
another reason, is because even if you stop using it, what it provides can be very handy for other uses.
Old 14th December 2017
Gear Head
A Solution?

Try this - (see attached screenshot as well)

1. Create 2 stereo busses in Pro Tools. (Call one 2BUSS and one FLIP)

2. Set all of your tracks' outputs to the 2BUSS

3. On the FLIP Buss insert Panipulator or similar plug that will flip the polarity of both L and R (in Panipulator you would select the separate L Polarity and R Polarity switches - not the Flip L/R switch)

4. Create a stereo postfade send on the 2BUSS to the input of the FLIP buss.

5. Create a mono postfade send on the FLIP buss going to the mono line output connecting to your mixcube.

Now when you mute the FLIP buss you'll hear your stereo mains. When you unmute the FLIP buss the stereo mains will cancel, leaving only the send to the mixcube audible.

If this is in some way an incorrect way of sorting out this problem from a technical standpoint, please sort me out. But this seems elegantly clunky enough to be simple and effective.
Attached Thumbnails
Best cable type for summing to a mono Mixcube?-screen-shot-2017-12-14-12.12.47-am.jpg  

Last edited by coreycoleman; 14th December 2017 at 06:14 AM.. Reason: Added screenshot
Old 8th May 2019
Here for the gear

Hello everyone!

Big sorry for starting again so old topic, but I think it's much better to write here than making a new one.

I'm a little ashamed of asking this question because I'm working in audio industry quite a long time, but for all those years I was always working only with stereo setup. In upcoming weeks I'll have a lot of new toys in my studio and I need to connect all those things, so I would like to ask if I'm thinking correctly. Better to double check than double cry

I'll have RME Fireface UFX II interface, and I'll connect 2 pairs of stereo monitors, and 1 mono monitor (Avantone Mixcube) into it. If I understand it correctly, if I would like to hear my mix in mono through Mixcube, I need to set it up in RME TotalMix, so I'll have two "normal" signals through outputs 1/2 and 3/4 as a stereo mix, and another signal should be set in TotalMix as a mono signal which will be send to output 5, am I right? It will work perfectly and no additional magic is needed?

Thank you very much in advance for your kind help.

Adam

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search