The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I'm looking for a good color preamp
Old 12th September 2017
I'm looking for a good color preamp

I know this topic has been beat to death, I've spent the last few days doing nothing but reading threads. I have just acquired a BAE 6 chassis free, I checked it has the newer PSU. I'm looking at a real good pre amp, it's not for pro recording use, just my home studio. I love the 1073 Sounds ( looking at HA73jr). I have also heard great things about the Chandler TG2 the EMI type preamp. What I'm looking for is one that will work great on male vocals first and foremost (being the most important part of my music) but, could work well on guitars. I do drums, and keys ITB. I DI the bass, and DI plus reamp the guitars (where the preamp would come in for guitars).I do all the vocals. I'll be using a u47 clone, I'm thinking of getting Lauten oceanus LT 381 as another mic. What preamp do you think would work the best in this price range?
Old 13th September 2017
Gear Addict

The Neve AMS 1073lb, Great River MP-500 NV, A Designs P1, Avedis MA5 are all solid choices.

You have to demo the gear to really know what suits your fancy.
Old 13th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanbison View Post
The Neve AMS 1073lb, Great River MP-500 NV, A Designs P1, Avedis MA5 are all solid choices.

You have to demo the gear to really know what suits your fancy.
Thanks for the quick Re: I had forgotten about the A designs P1. In fact I think that is going to be my first 500 series preamp purchase. Then the MA5, after that either a AML 1073EZ, or HA 1073.

I wonder about the Total Audio Control MicPre One. I know it's not an AMEK clone, I wonder if it's close though. One of my favorite sessions was recording through an AMEK console, with Ed Rose behind the desk.
Old 14th September 2017
After a lot of listening, and reading. I'm down to the RND 511, HA73JR, AML1073EZ, or just go get an API512C. I keep hearing Neve for vocals, today I listened to a few great sounding vocals done on the API512C, they sounded thick, and warm, especially the female vocals. That said for a first time 500 series buy the RND511 is used by a lot of people here, with excellent results, plus it's a bit cheaper. I'm still confused, luckily I'm getting setup with Vintage King to tryout some preamps.
Old 15th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastedgoat View Post
I'm getting setup with Vintage King to tryout some preamps.
That's an intelligent way to proceed.
Old 16th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
That's an intelligent way to proceed.
Best conversation with the sales rep. He wasn't rushed, asked me to get a pen and paper. We went over several options. He was really informative, the preamp he wants me to try out is one that is mentioned favorably here in many threads.
He's pretty sure it won't be returned for a demo. I think he's probably right. I'm looking forwards to learning how to record with a good preamp.

I was thinking preamp, then distressor purchase, then mic purchase. He likes the mic I have, he agreed it was not probably the best mic for my voice. Suggested I get the preamp, then suggested several mics to look at for next purchase. I should then get the distressor if I need it. I believe he's right so I'm gonna follow his advice for now.
Old 18th September 2017
I just purchased one Avedis MA-5 today. I doubt I'll be sending it back.
Old 19th September 2017
Lives for gear
I've never heard it. Please post back on this thread after you've used it for a while.
Old 19th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
I've never heard it. Please post back on this thread after you've used it for a while.
Will do. I'll track some acoustic guitars and vocals.

Last edited by toastedgoat; 22nd September 2017 at 06:06 AM..
Old 22nd September 2017
I got the MA5 in today. Hooked it up tonight, I have a piano piece I'm working on. I decided to put a vocal track on it just to see how the preamp would be.. I really like it. It's a lot better than the cheap Focusrite preamp. I didn't even put up a mic stand so it's not much of a test but, just hand holding an AT4047. I noticd several things. The harshness I was hearing with the AT4047 throught the Focusrite was gone. The mic had a nice warm midrange, and even with the 28k button in, the top end still was silky smooth with nice air. This one surprsed me, the meters on my IA would be all over the place with the Focusrite, you had to really crank it up, or use the crappy compression built in. It was hard to get a good vocal level. The MA5 held a very good level, with just milder peaks if I didn't use decent mic technique.
The MA5 had a full big sound, with a nice smoothness to it. I did not try to push the input though. After much thought, and some guidance my next purchases will be some kind of nice compressor, and a Coles ribbon mic.
Old 22nd September 2017
Lives for gear
Mic and preamp color---attached
the chart does not represent quality, only color

Cost effective 73 sound, Revive M73
Cost effective API sound, Revive M12
If you use ribbons, AEA TRP or RPQ are cool
In general Class A tubes are always great sounding, Locomotive makes a good one for not overboard cash.

Grace is painfully uncolored would hate to use one with a Sanken mic. Expose all weakness!
Attached Thumbnails
I'm looking for a good color preamp-preamp-color.jpg   I'm looking for a good color preamp-mic-graph1.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search