The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Wuts the best mic for rock vocals? Condenser Microphones
Old 19th October 2002
Gear Nut

Wuts the best mic for rock vocals?

Or better yet, wuts the standard used by most? I use a Rode NTK and have no complaints.
Old 19th October 2002
Lives for gear

I'll use anything from a SM58 (vintage model) to a C414 to a U47. The choice of Mic is singer depended first IMO. It has little to do with the style of music.
Old 19th October 2002
Gear Nut

I completely agree with that it has to do with the singer. I was just curious to c wut sum of you guys and girls used. Im only starting to learn the principles of audio engineering, so dont get pissed if I ask stupid q's. Im just a poor musician with a whole bunch of songs that need to get on tape, or hard disk.

PS I do like to think that I know more than yer average beginer though.
Old 19th October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by AgonizingpaiN
I completely agree with that it has to do with the singer. I was just curious to c wut sum of you guys and girls used. Im only starting to learn the principles of audio engineering, so dont get pissed if I ask stupid q's. Im just a poor musician with a whole bunch of songs that need to get on tape, or hard disk.

PS I do like to think that I know more than yer average beginer though.

Cool, .... no stupid Q's btw .... only stupid answers.

Old 19th October 2002
Gear Maniac

It´s depending on the voice. I like mics that have fast attack so you get a kind of compressed sound from the mic.

Blue Baby Bottle
SM7
C12
Old 19th October 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

It depends on the voice and type of delivery involved. It also depends on the pres and comps being used.

Still, for male rock vocals, I haven't found anything that sounds better than a good U47.

I'd be interested to check out the new Elux47 and Telefunken mics in comparison, though.
Old 19th October 2002
Gear Head

When I tried out mics I felt like the M149 was the most agressive mic around. Thus making it to agressive for a lot of people but i do a ton of punk and hardcore and its just right. As well I don't find the c 12 fast. then again ours is probably diffrent then yours.
Old 19th October 2002
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by C.Lambrechts

no stupid Q's btw .... only stupid answers.

Oh - I always thought that quote was "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people" But that seems a bit harsh.
Old 20th October 2002
Lives for gear

SM57-58's witha touch of LA2A and Neve EQ

SM7's... ROCK!!!

U47 tube and FET

AKGc12a/b

but its totally dependant on the singer.. and more so their skill or lack there of....

there are things that antares cant fix!!!!!

heheheheheh

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 20th October 2002
Moderator emeritus

One mic that no one seems to mention is the Pearl Mic, the CC22. I had one for a review a while back, and liked it quite a bit on male vocals. www.pearl.se/
Old 20th October 2002
Lives for gear

U47tube, perhaps a 67
Old 21st October 2002
Gear Addict
SM-7. Everytime I put up another mic It always comes down and the SM-7 goes up. Plus the singer can get right on it and they feel real comfortable.

-Z-
Old 21st February 2014
Here for the gear

No one rule

Definitely completely dependent upon the individual vocalist. Key factors are timbre, tone, volume, power, etc.

I prefer a good old Shure SM57 with Antares Mic Modeler and Waves Renaissance Compressor. For some reason, my voice sounds better with a $100 mic than with a $2000 mic.

Also, using different mics for lead and backup vox can be a good thing. I try to record the sound I want and not have to EQ when mixing. 80Hz is always an issue with my voice when using an expensive condenser mic, even when singing in my higher range. With the SM57, i never need to cut 80Hz at all. And you can wail into the thing.

If you want a real up-close sound and the part is low and breathy, then condensers are PROBABLY better, but with a mic modeler plugin and the right compression, the SM57 works great for me. But I have a very loud, powerful voice, similar to Layne Staley & Chris Cornell. If you want to "beef up" you vox, then a condenser mic would probably do the trick.

if you're on a budget and need a good versatile mic, I recommend the Shure SM57 for $100. Can't go wrong, and can always eventually add on to the collection. But every engineer/producer I've ever met always has a couple SM57's in their arsenal.

I do like the AKG SolidTube, especially for low, breathy, close-up sounds, but always have to cut 80Hz by a few DB unless the mix is sparse. You could be TOTALLY different. That's why I am a big fan of real-time plugins. Play around with the sound. If you start having issues with CPU usage, save sessions copies with different effects processed to disc, but always keep your original session with no effects processed to disc.

Trust your ears, trust your gut, and listen back on good speakers, crappy speakers, average car stereos, cheap earbuds, expensive headphones. DO NOT solely trust high-end studio monitors/headphones as they make everything sound better.

My car stereo is my meter. If it passes the car test, it usually sounds good on just about any system.

The only "rule" I have is that compression is key. Finding the right compression settings for the singer is what will make or break the professionalism of the track. The right compression settings combined with good mic technique. also, you want one of 2 situations for the room you record vox in: completely dead like an isolation booth, or a really good natural acoustic effect, usually achieved in a room with a higher than average celiing and tile or hardwood floors. Linoleum and laminate flooring are both bad acoustically. You want to deaden any natural reverb/delay, or work with it but if so, be very careful that it is what you want because room acoustics cannot be removed.

And fluorescent lights are a big no. Believe it or not, they color the mix. Once I recorded vocals in my kitchen with a linoleum floor and fluorescent light and when mixing, I soloed the track and literally could "hear" the light and floor. Well, not literally, but there was just something unpleasant about it.

Safest bet it record vox in as dead of a space as possible & add any effects later. I got lucky and had a great room in my old place for natural reverb and delay (slight) which really worked for parts i belted while standing 8" from the mic. Not so much for close-up parts.
Old 21st February 2014
Here for the gear

Attack

For me, fast attack is key. whether it comes from the mic or the compressor. I find that a slower attack will make the initial consonant's level significantly higher than the rest of the phrase, thus causing less ability to boost the level of the track in the mix without clipping. But that's just my voice. I like to set my final compression scheme to boost the quiet parts & limit the "beltier" parts and I am a fan of accentuating breaths rather than cutting them out.

This i probably different for males vs. females. I always use garbage as an example because Butch VIG is THE MAN. On their 1st album, Shirley sings more subdued and right on top of the mic, whereas now she sings with more confidence and power. But they ALWAYS accentuate the breath, which I really like. I would imagine on their 1st album, the attack on the comp was probably slower. It really depends on how strong you attack the consonants when you sing.

As I always recommend, record through a limiter initially to prevent clipping and then find the right final compression settings when mixing, playing with RTAS or whatever type of plugins you use. I like Waves personally. I've also had some good results with the BombFactory Purple Audio for a more vintage sound. I can't really get a good vocal compression on my voice with the 1176 but i know many people who can.

Joemeek is pretty transparent but I find it to be a little too slow on the attack for my voice. Occasionally I will bus through it to record and then compress again with Waves R-comp. And if you want a nice, hot, in your face track, the Waves L1 is very transparent and can give you mega gain sound if the track is getting lost in the mix & you can't boost the fader without clipping.

Starting with a preset is usually a good idea. Then tweak it to suit your needs. Save your settings, label them so you know when you used them and i guarantee it won't be too long before you have a basic system to work with, but always be open to try new things.
Old 21st February 2014
Gear Addict

Let´s hope op found a mic that fits, little more than 13 years later
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

SM7 with plenty of clean gain. Add a touch of high-frequency air as needed. Done.
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

u67 - neve - la2a/1176 - done
Old 22nd February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad1radio View Post
For me, fast attack is key. whether it comes from the mic or the compressor.
What are you trying to achieve with the fast attack?

Transient crushing? If so, the comp is the key. An 1176 or similar FET type with its ultra fast 20µsecond attack will cut the transient like a hot knife through butter.

Contrarily, a microphone with a very fast attack will preserve the transient.

I hope I'm not irritating you... I'm not trying to come across as a know-it-all or anything like that, I'm just asking for a little clarity to understand where you're coming from.

Kindest regards!
Old 22nd February 2014
Gear Addict

I will throw my cock in the ring and say that my klaus heyne modified neumann u87 is the best microphone for anyone's vocals!
Old 22nd February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneshowell View Post
I will throw my cock in the ring and say that my klaus heyne modified neumann u87 is the best microphone for anyone's vocals!
WOAH! Put that "Sennheiser" away! You'll scare small children.

But that is a great choice in microphones!
Old 22nd February 2014
Gear Addict

Ok Ward, if you say so
Old 22nd February 2014
One mic that hasn't been mentioned yet but works surprisingly well on some male rock vocals is the Beyerdynamic M88. It's also a lot more affordable than many other options.
Old 23rd February 2014
Gear Addict

Mics aren't genre specific, so use the best sounding one that you can afford.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search