The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Signal out on monitor is completely dry on my new Alto Live 1202
Old 17th August 2017
Here for the gear
Signal out on monitor is completely dry on my new Alto Live 1202

Hi all. I have setup my Alto Live 1202 mixer and I am quite happy with the setup. The sound out to my PA is excellent, but I have an issue:

Let´s say I add a maximum of the effect 51 (reverb/delay on my vocal) in channels one. I set the fx to maximum and I hear the effect loud and clear on my PA. However, if I mute the PA and listen only to my monitor, the signal is completely dry (no effects).

I find this disturbing since I want to hear what my listeners are hearing.

I have my monitor connected to Aux sends 1 (as the manual states).

I have looked through the manual several times, and search the interwebs, but I just can´t seem to find the answer.

It´s probably just a small thing to fix, but ... I can´t find the solution.

Any one knows a solution?

Keep on rocking.
Kjell
Attached Thumbnails
Signal out on monitor is completely dry on my new Alto Live 1202-aux-sends-1.png  
Old 17th August 2017
Gear Maniac

The idea of connecting the monitor to aux 1 is to have a different mix than the mains. If you really want the same signal as the mains in your monitor you can just use the same signal, but I think you'll find hearing what the audience gets from the mains isn't helpful.
A good approach is to only send what you are having trouble hearing on stage to your monitor. Some mixer's do have a send to put the effects in the monitors, but this can really just muddy things up and make it harder to hear your performance.
This has been my experience with live bands and smaller systems anyway.
Old 17th August 2017
Here for the gear
Ah... that makes sense. I will look into this further and experiment to find the right setting.

So, another newbie question (sorry), does this mean that when I do soundchecks I should do it first with monitor off - to get a clear picture of what the audience gets, and then do monitor settings afterwards?

Thanks for the feedback.
K
Old 17th August 2017
Lives for gear

Once I get the mic balances dialed in for both the mains and monitors, I like doing a pass with just mains, just monitors, and both. It gives you a view how each, and their combination contribute -on the band stand and in the room. Sometimes you find the monitors -combining out of time, and off axis, muddy the sound in the room. Conversely, on stage you may find you don't need much low end on the monitors- and with the main's lows spill on to the stage, fill in just what's needed for articulation.
Then, less low end from the monitors.. = less 'mush out front in the room. :>)
Old 17th August 2017
Here for the gear
Thnx so much for feedback. Really helps me a lot. Next gig is on Saturday. Will put this to practise. Thnx.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi
I’m looking to buy this mixer for my live gigs...I'm an engineer and artist too....but what disturbs me is like the original poster said, if I want to hear myself on stage with the reverb effects on, how do I do it?

My main mix and monitor mix shall be different in terms of levels but on stage I shall need the effects too..

Also if I'm playing back some track from my laptop using the usb in I would like to hear it on stage monitors too while performing.

How to achieve that?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search