The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Help needed with Sex1 condensor Mic!!
Old 14th August 2017
Here for the gear

Help needed with Sex1 condensor Mic!!

Hi, I have recently bought a used Sex1 condenser microphone off ebay, now the thing is I have plugged it into my karaoke/hifi set up and it doesnt make any sound what so ever! I am not the most technologically understanding person but my sure sm58 mic has always worked fine with it. Now the question is, has the person who sold me this sent me a dead mic or is there something I am missing? Does the Sex1 mic need some kind of power supply or booster etc to get it to work on my, not exactly technologically enhanced set up, or am I right in thinking I should press for a refund?

Thanks in advance for any help from in the know people!
Cheers
Old 14th August 2017
Old 14th August 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks! upgrading always comes with yet more upgrading! Am glad I haven't been sold a dead mic though!
Old 14th August 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMark777 View Post
Thanks! upgrading always comes with yet more upgrading! Am glad I haven't been sold a dead mic though!
99% of mic inputs have 48v phantom power switch. They're usually quite small. Look carefully around where you have it plugged in.
Old 16th August 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
99% of mic inputs have 48v phantom power switch. They're usually quite small. Look carefully around where you have it plugged in.
Looks like mine is in the 1% then, doesn't surprise me tbh. Now to try and get my head around figuring out if my set up is best with balanced or unbalanced mic leads.. have you any idea about that? I'm guessing probably unbalanced?
Old 17th August 2017
Here for the gear

Well, after a bit of heavy reading of good understandable info I have realized that my initial guess was completely wrong! Balanced seems totally the way to go for mic cables. You know, when you've been not an avid follower of technology for most of your life like I haven't been, trying to make good choices when updating and bettering your recording facilities etc can be a right brain blower!

I have a neweer 1 channel 48v phantom power supply on its way from ebay as well, really hope all this makes a massive difference to my recordings. Got a Presonus Inspire 1394 Audio Interface Pre Amp on its way too, Hoping this will be a lot better for converting analogue to digital audio to my pc than my little behringer u control was! .. Time will tell!
Old 17th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have a neweer 1 channel 48v phantom power supply on its way from ebay as well, really hope all this makes a massive difference to my recordings. Got a Presonus Inspire 1394 Audio Interface Pre Amp on its way too, Hoping this will be a lot better for converting analogue to digital audio to my pc than my little behringer u control was! .. Time will tell!
Does your PC have a 'firewire' port? This interface does not connect via USB.
https://www.presonus.com/products/In...394/tech-specs

So far as phantom power for the mic, I think I would have bought a small mixer that has 48v phantom. A small mixer would provide a proper balanced connection for the mic and as well to whatever your karaoke/hifi setup might be. A mixer could also have USB to do recordings to a computer.
Something like this for example.... https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Q1002USB
Old 17th August 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF48 View Post

So far as phantom power for the mic, I think I would have bought a small mixer that has 48v phantom. A small mixer would provide a proper balanced connection for the mic and as well to whatever your karaoke/hifi setup might be. A mixer could also have USB to do recordings to a computer.
Something like this for example.... https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Q1002USB
That looks far too complex for my head! Any sign of loads of switches and nobs usually gets me running in the opposite direction! ... As for the Presonus and the firewire, I was thinking I would get a firewire to usb cable. I know what its like though, some times you think it could be as simple as that and then you find out its really not!
Old 17th August 2017
Quote:
That looks far too complex for my head! Any sign of loads of switches and nobs usually gets me running in the opposite direction! ... As for the Presonus and the firewire, I was thinking I would get a firewire to usb cable. I know what its like though, some times you think it could be as simple as that and then you find out its really not!
How did you decide upon that PreSonus? That seems like a somewhat obscure selection.

To simplify your signal chain, I would ditch the current PreSonus you have as well as the Neewer in favor of a regular USB audio interface such as a PreSonus Audiobox or a Focusrite Scarlett. They connect via USB and have built-in phantom power.

The mixer option you were provided with above is more simple than you realize, and was suggested because it gives you more options as far as what you can connect as an input as well as what you can output to.

You mentioned you have a karaoke/hifi setup. What exactly are you working with and what are you trying to accomplish? The SE X1 is a fine mic but a very odd choice to use for karaoke.
Old 18th August 2017
Here for the gear

Its not really that I decided upon the Presonus, I just came across it on auction while looking for a phantom power supply. I've had issues in the past with my Pc as its the small tower type that's apparently more difficult to update (I think the parts are a lot more expensive and regular sized sound cards don't fit it). Anyway, I heard on a youtube review a while back that 96k 24bit convertors were better than my Behringer u control, so I saw this, read some reviews and thought if I get it for a bargain why not! £17.50 I won it for and a big swaying point for me was the fact it has phono lead inputs which means I don't have to change my whole set up! .. Well at least hopefully not!

I've been working on quite a lot of original metal tracks recently, writing lyrics and singing to them and I'm particularly pleased with my latest one so I thought it about time I tried to better my recordings! I'm not entirely sure the Shure mic (pun partially intended!) does my voice justice either. The karaoke machine I have just makes it easy to whack a mic and a CD in and sing to it, while also having the option of doing covers with the lyrics on the tv!
Old 18th August 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF48 View Post
I've just had a closer look at my pc and found it does have a firewire port! Its the smaller 4 pin one I think which means I'll need a power supply but I think I've got one of them to power it! ! I've just ordered a 1394 6pin to 4 pin lead for £1.09! Bargain shopping hapefully!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search