The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha MG10XU
Old 8th August 2017
Here for the gear

Yamaha MG10XU

So, I'm looking at the Yamaha MG10XU for recording purposes, and I've got a few questions I'm not sure the answers too.

So, It has a USB interface. From my understanding that will replace a traditional interface like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Would this be a good move over the Scarlett 2i2? I plan to use it for recording Vocal, Guitar, Bass, and maybe drum. We're still talking about getting some sound proofing for my buddies drum room. I'm a bit of a noob so I really don't know if this will fit all my needs to start out and learn how to properly record and mix. Also, I know Scarlett does come with free daw software. I don't know what to look at in that department but my main goal right now is to record bass, and guitar through direct input to a daw.

Also, How would a chain work with this? Ive looked it up a few times and haven't found much info on how to chain equipment racks to a mix board, and to a computer.
Old 8th August 2017
Gear Nut
Personally, I think recording into a computer with a mixing board is a terrible idea. There is no benefit, there are too many ways to mess it up, and it's not going to be as good of a sound card as a 2i2. You would get way better results with just the 2i2 doing what you are trying to do.

SO, I would save that money you were going to spend on the MG10XU, and spend it on something else sweet for your studio. Maybe put it toward treating your room, a decent mic, some sweet plugins.
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

Most budget mixers record to a stereo track (not sure about the MG10XU). If you record a vocal and guitar together with a USB mixer it will be combined/'mixed' to a stereo track and not easy to edit either one. An interface such as the 2i2 can record to two separate mono tracks and either track can be edited/tweaked independently. An interface may be a bit better when it comes to monitoring tracks on playback as well. A mixer may be useful at times when used along a 'real' interface, but not really a good way to build tracks in a DAW.
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

A dedicated interface will serve you better though the 10xu will do that for you. However, the mixer is a GREAT little live board and the preamps sound excellent. I sold my 6x a while back and may get the 10xu to replace it. Yamaha makes really nice stuff and the effects sound nice, too.
Old 9th August 2017
Here for the gear

Scarlett 212 w/bundle

So, from what you guys are saying. Would this be a good deal to grab up?
Old 9th August 2017
We have a couple of the yamaha boards here for mini PAs. They're fine for the job they do, but it's not a recording desk. The USB audio function is just for capturing the output of the desk - you can't really use it to do overdubs or anything.

An interface (such as any of the Scarletts, with the features you need) is a much better bet for recording.
Old 9th August 2017
Here for the gear

Alright so here's my next question. Racking and mixing boards. How would you chain a rack to a guitar amp or microphone?
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
We have a couple of the yamaha boards here for mini PAs. They're fine for the job they do, but it's not a recording desk. The USB audio function is just for capturing the output of the desk - you can't really use it to do overdubs or anything.

An interface (such as any of the Scarletts, with the features you need) is a much better bet for recording.
Can't it be used to do overdubs if you're using it in its 2 channel recording capacity - just like any 2 channel interface?
Old 9th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontsimon View Post
Can't it be used to do overdubs if you're using it in its 2 channel recording capacity - just like any 2 channel interface?
I'd have to double check exactly, but it wouldn't be easy. You're always capturing the output of the board - so to use say a mic pre, you'd have to send that to the stereo outs, but not the backing track of whatever you're playing to. So how do you monitor your backing track? well, I suppose you could use a group...it's a fiddle though. And there's no channel direct outs, so you're buying 10 mic pres but only able to record stereo.

It's just not designed for this task. There's many small desks and interfaces that are. It's not really a great purchase for this job.
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd have to double check exactly, but it wouldn't be easy. You're always capturing the output of the board - so to use say a mic pre, you'd have to send that to the stereo outs, but not the backing track of whatever you're playing to. So how do you monitor your backing track? well, I suppose you could use a group...it's a fiddle though. And there's no channel direct outs, so you're buying 10 mic pres but only able to record stereo.

It's just not designed for this task. There's many small desks and interfaces that are. It's not really a great purchase for this job.
Only 4 mic pres, and you'd have to monitor via the aux send, or, possibly...there's a button on Ch 9-10, the USB input, which says To Mon or, To Stereo. If they route that like a seperate buss, your backing trax would come in on 9/10, feed your monitors or cans, but not the Stereo Out, which you could presumably record seperately.

I don't have a manual handy, but the way they label that button, together with your observation that the unit is useless as an interface, otherwise, suggests to me that it's possible.
Old 9th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee4303 View Post
Only 4 mic pres, and you'd have to monitor via the aux send, or, possibly...there's a button on Ch 9-10, the USB input, which says To Mon or, To Stereo. If they route that like a seperate buss, your backing trax would come in on 9/10, feed your monitors or cans, but not the Stereo Out, which you could presumably record seperately.

I don't have a manual handy, but the way they label that button, together with your observation that the unit is useless as an interface, otherwise, suggests to me that it's possible.
yep possibly.

It's just not the best way to spend that amount of money for a recording interface.

They're designed as little live or rehearsal room desks, and they're pretty good for that purpose. The recording function is really just for capturing that.

I don't know exactly where it routes to, but the 9/10 switch makes the USB return in place of line in 9/10...I can't remember if it goes to main outs or not.

(I've actually got 2 different versions of this desk, neither of which is this exact version - but the USB is the same on all, the routing options are different though).
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
yep possibly.

It's just not the best way to spend that amount of money for a recording interface.

They're designed as little live or rehearsal room desks, and they're pretty good for that purpose. The recording function is really just for capturing that.

I don't know exactly where it routes to, but the 9/10 switch makes the USB return in place of line in 9/10...I can't remember if it goes to main outs or not.

(I've actually got 2 different versions of this desk, neither of which is this exact version - but the USB is the same on all, the routing options are different though).
I use them on an 8 ch snake, tapping the audio that we route back to source interfaces atop clock sync on ADAT pipes, for artist headphone mixes, which is why I'm not up on their USB capabilities.

There's two switches on Ch 9-10, the one that selects either quarter inch or USB for the Ch 9-10 input, at the top of the channel strip, and the second one down by the fader knob, marked "To Mon" and "To Stereo".

Oh hell, it was lazy of me to mention this without looking into it, be back in a bit.

Ok, from the manual, this switch either routes the 9/10 signal to the Monitor Outs (and headphones), or to the Stereo Outs (which also feed the USB pipe to the computer.)

So, you can hit this switch, and essentially have a two buss mixer for recording, but 9/10 are the only channels assignable to the "buss". With the switch depressed, (and USB engaged) the stereo return from the PC on Ch 9/10 is heard on speakers or headphones, but is not sent back to the PC via USB.

Therefore, you can monitor what's already recorded, while recording one stereo signal or two mono signals, independantly, without re-recording the monitor feed.

Not quite a full two buss implementation, but better for recording than a single buss desk, and much better than trying to use the Aux Send for monitoring.

Price/performance...I just don't know. Four pres, two one knob comps, EQ, built in FX, a 2x2 USB functionality, and the partial two buss capability, for $200...well, there's more there than a $100 Focusrite or Presonus 2x2 USB...IF you use all of it, and IF the quality level of these very basic functionalities achieves your objectives, and IF the latency is acceptable on stable drivers, and IF you can't find something better in the $200 USB range, an area I'm not familiar with.

It seems like it could be (and is designed to be) the hub of a practice /demo tracking rig, but...one very obvious shortcoming I see in that approach...you either have to lay an otherwise useless stereo bed track up front, or try to lay independantly mixable single tracks without hearing the rest of the band.

Or...this gets deep...you could track one mono track independantly, and hear all, by getting fancy with the pan controls on both the mixer AND in the DAW.

At that point, I'd rather pick up a $100 2x2 USB, and a $100 B-Word mixer with two full busses.

Last edited by JayTee4303; 9th August 2017 at 04:26 PM..
Old 10th August 2017
Quote:
I use them on an 8 ch snake, tapping the audio that we route back to source interfaces atop clock sync on ADAT pipes, for artist headphone mixes, which is why I'm not up on their USB capabilities.

There's two switches on Ch 9-10, the one that selects either quarter inch or USB for the Ch 9-10 input, at the top of the channel strip, and the second one down by the fader knob, marked "To Mon" and "To Stereo".

Oh hell, it was lazy of me to mention this without looking into it, be back in a bit.

Ok, from the manual, this switch either routes the 9/10 signal to the Monitor Outs (and headphones), or to the Stereo Outs (which also feed the USB pipe to the computer.)

So, you can hit this switch, and essentially have a two buss mixer for recording, but 9/10 are the only channels assignable to the "buss". With the switch depressed, (and USB engaged) the stereo return from the PC on Ch 9/10 is heard on speakers or headphones, but is not sent back to the PC via USB.

Therefore, you can monitor what's already recorded, while recording one stereo signal or two mono signals, independantly, without re-recording the monitor feed.

Not quite a full two buss implementation, but better for recording than a single buss desk, and much better than trying to use the Aux Send for monitoring.

Price/performance...I just don't know. Four pres, two one knob comps, EQ, built in FX, a 2x2 USB functionality, and the partial two buss capability, for $200...well, there's more there than a $100 Focusrite or Presonus 2x2 USB...IF you use all of it, and IF the quality level of these very basic functionalities achieves your objectives, and IF the latency is acceptable on stable drivers, and IF you can't find something better in the $200 USB range, an area I'm not familiar with.

It seems like it could be (and is designed to be) the hub of a practice /demo tracking rig, but...one very obvious shortcoming I see in that approach...you either have to lay an otherwise useless stereo bed track up front, or try to lay independantly mixable single tracks without hearing the rest of the band.

Or...this gets deep...you could track one mono track independantly, and hear all, by getting fancy with the pan controls on both the mixer AND in the DAW.

At that point, I'd rather pick up a $100 2x2 USB, and a $100 B-Word mixer with two full busses.
I'd agree with all of that - and to be fair, it's probably better value as a demo rig than the bigger versions we have (that are more expensive and have more channels, but still only a stereo record path).

It does seem a little wasteful buying a setup with 4 pres, eq and built in fx/aux sends etc instead of a simple 2ch interface if all you need is the 2 channels.

Your money goes farther if you only buy the features you need.
Old 10th August 2017
Deleted 6ccb844
Personally I love mixers and a lot of them sound great, although starting off with one can be a little daunting. As much as the D-Pre's in Yammie / Steinberg stuff sound great I can't imagine the USB two out is going to be as good as your Focusrite..

If you actually want to mix on this desk then you're going to need in's and an out's for every channel and it just starts to get expensive, especially when you approach mid ranged territory where there are interfaces tugging on the tail of high end audio interfaces.

You might want to check out the Soundcraft MTK12, it's a drop in replacement for your soundcard and in all fairness I've heard some really good mixes done on it's bigger bro the MTK22 (which is just a bigger version really) and in terms of quality it's comparable to most other decent mixes I've heard.

The soundcraft ultimatley is a recording desk though (as opposed to a straight up live desk), it sends tracks to your DAW dry for you to edit and then sends them back out to futher mix down / sum. It'll save you headaches in patching / routing / mixing and general workflow.

Anyway that's my 2c.
Old 10th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD View Post
Personally I love mixers and a lot of them sound great, although starting off with one can be a little daunting. As much as the D-Pre's in Yammie / Steinberg stuff sound great I can't imagine the USB two out is going to be as good as your Focusrite..

If you actually want to mix on this desk then you're going to need in's and an out's for every channel and it just starts to get expensive, especially when you approach mid ranged territory where there are interfaces tugging on the tail of high end audio interfaces.

You might want to check out the Soundcraft MTK12, it's a drop in replacement for your soundcard and in all fairness I've heard some really good mixes done on it's bigger bro the MTK22 (which is just a bigger version really) and in terms of quality it's comparable to most other decent mixes I've heard.

The soundcraft ultimatley is a recording desk though (as opposed to a straight up live desk), it sends tracks to your DAW dry for you to edit and then sends them back out to futher mix down / sum. It'll save you headaches in patching / routing / mixing and general workflow.

Anyway that's my 2c.
None of this range have channel direct outs though - even the bigger models! Most you could record from those would be 6 mono sources (2 stereo groups plus 2 sixes)...just a bodge when there's so many better options.

The desks sound "fine" in a live environment, but I've no idea how they compare to other IC pres.
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear

If it had a full two buss implementation, I could really see using it in a reh hall. FOH and demo tracks in a single cabling scheme. Simple and effective.

I'd want more channels and at least four sends, really, six. Two FX, 4 monitor mixes.

$200 probably could buy such a board, used, low end, but the problem there is that the used, low end boards probably won't have USB.

Once again, you're back to a seperate board and interface.

When many roads seem to all lead to one spot, I find it best to sit back and enjoy the ride, as opposed to fighting it.
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear

Couple other things. We have 5 or 6 similar class Yamaha boards here. The EQ on all is very touchy. A micro-twist on the knob moves from "none" to "way too much".

The panning, on the stereo channels is wonky too. You can't bring two mono signals in on a stereo channel and use the pan/balance to set relative levels.

What comes in left, stays left only, same for right. The pan/balance control just turns one up and the other down, it does not control how much crossfeed, because there isn't any crossfeed.
Old 10th August 2017
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
None of this range have channel direct outs though - even the bigger models! Most you could record from those would be 6 mono sources (2 stereo groups plus 2 sixes)...just a bodge when there's so many better options.

The desks sound "fine" in a live environment, but I've no idea how they compare to other IC pres.
Besides the 22 in / 24 out audio interface that's built into the Soundcraft mixer you mean? In which you can track 22 channels at once.. Straight to your DAW, no patching needed. Make sense? (Also you can send all tracks back to the desk to be mixed as that's what it's purpose is)..

Of course the MTK 12 is smaller, which has a 14 in / 12 out interface built into the mixer.

The pre's are from the Soundcraft Ghost, as much as I think it's fun debating one high headroom low THD pre-amp vs. an expensive standalone high headroom low THD pre-amp, they have been used on a lot of records and AFAIK have a decent track record.

The MTK series is Soundcrafts equivalent of the Zed-R16 and Onyx 1640i, although as the other two is either defunct or on it's way out the choice for a studio "all-in-one" mixer is slim.

Not saying the Soundcraft MTK doesn't have it's limitations, but they're not what you're describing. There's an MTK thread which is probably worth the OP having a gander.
Old 10th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD View Post
Besides the 22 in / 24 out audio interface that's built into the Soundcraft mixer you mean? In which you can track 22 channels at once.. Straight to your DAW, no patching needed. Make sense? (Also you can send all tracks back to the desk to be mixed as that's what it's purpose is)..

Of course the MTK 12 is smaller, which has a 14 in / 12 out interface built into the mixer.

The pre's are from the Soundcraft Ghost, as much as I think it's fun debating one high headroom low THD pre-amp vs. an expensive standalone high headroom low THD pre-amp, they have been used on a lot of records and AFAIK have a decent track record.

The MTK series is Soundcrafts equivalent of the Zed-R16 and Onyx 1640i, although as the other two is either defunct or on it's way out the choice for a studio "all-in-one" mixer is slim.

Not saying the Soundcraft MTK doesn't have it's limitations, but they're not what you're describing. There's an MTK thread which is probably worth the OP having a gander.
I was talking about why the Yamaha isn't suitable!
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear

Good little rehearsal mixers. I've used one as a headphone mixer in the studio for a bit. It quickly became apparent that they lack in the headroom department, even with all the pads engaged ... really have to back off the inputs. They distort easy.
Old 11th August 2017
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
I was talking about why the Yamaha isn't suitable!
Oh ok, yes I agree..
Old 2nd January 2018
Here for the gear

I am new with the MG10XU mixer

Hi everyone,
I have tried to read all your comments but i haven't got a bright idea yet.
I would like to get some help too. I hope this is the correct place for asking.

I own a YAMAHA MG10XU mixer and just recorded my vocal though some DAWs (Cubase 9 and Audacity). I played my backing track from Youtube while i record my vocal. I was expecting that the vocal track recorded would only have my dry vocal but apparently the backing music from youtube (which i monitor through my headphone while singing) was also recorded into the my vocal track. This happened in both DAWs i mentioned respectively. I am pretty sure my good quality headphone did not spill voices.
FYI my vocal microphone was plugged into CH1.

On different instance, i intended to record some song using Cubase 9. So, in the DAW, one track i dedicated it to Cubase's looping drum set just for my tempo-keeper, and another track was my vocal track. However, after the recording is done, i realized that when i try to play solo of just the vocal track (drum track's muted), it also has the drum sound at the back ground.

The track recorded seemed to always have other tracks spilled into it. This is quite problematic when i do sound mastering.

Just for your information before this MG10XU mixer, i had owned a Steinberg UR22 MKII interface. I have recorded songs using the UR22 but never encountered problem like this before. I guess this is a problem with the USB mixer or it's just me who is still uneducated.

Could anyone give me some advice?
Old 2nd January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian76 View Post
Hi everyone,

I own a YAMAHA MG10XU mixer and just recorded my vocal though some DAWs (Cubase 9 and Audacity). I played my backing track from Youtube while i record my vocal. I was expecting that the vocal track recorded would only have my dry vocal but apparently the backing music from youtube (which i monitor through my headphone while singing) was also recorded into the my vocal track. This happened in both DAWs i mentioned respectively. I am pretty sure my good quality headphone did not spill voices.

On different instance, i intended to record some song using Cubase 9. So, in the DAW, one track i dedicated it to Cubase's looping drum set just for my tempo-keeper, and another track was my vocal track. However, after the recording is done, i realized that when i try to play solo of just the vocal track (drum track's muted), it also has the drum sound at the back ground.

The track recorded seemed to always have other tracks spilled into it. This is quite problematic when i do sound mastering.

Just for your information before this MG10XU mixer, i had owned a Steinberg UR22 MKII interface. I have recorded songs using the UR22 but never encountered problem like this before. I guess this is a problem with the USB mixer or it's just me who is still uneducated.

Yes. As mentioned above, the Yamaha sends the output of the desk to the USB interface. So if you're using the desk for monitoring too, by sending your youtube backing into the desk channels, that's captured too.

It's not "spill" as such; you're just recording what you hear, as the desk is designed to.
Old 3rd January 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Yes. As mentioned above, the Yamaha sends the output of the desk to the USB interface. So if you're using the desk for monitoring too, by sending your youtube backing into the desk channels, that's captured too.

It's not "spill" as such; you're just recording what you hear, as the desk is designed to.
Alright sir. Is there a technique to cope with this problem?

If no, Do you think it's better if i get myself a dedicated USB interface (like the UR22 or Scarlett 2i2) instead of the USB mixer?
Old 3rd January 2018
Quote:
Alright sir. Is there a technique to cope with this problem?

If no, Do you think it's better if i get myself a dedicated USB interface (like the UR22 or Scarlett 2i2) instead of the USB mixer?
I think a proper interface is a much better idea. As I mention above - the USB interface on the Yamaha boards is more of a simple 2 track capture than intended as a tracking setup.
Old 3rd January 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
I think a proper interface is a much better idea. As I mention above - the USB interface on the Yamaha boards is more of a simple 2 track capture than intended as a tracking setup.
Alright noted sir.
Really appreciate your help.
Thank you!
Old 3rd February 2018
Gear Head
Quote:

I bought the MG10XU only for the D pres and the compressor knobs,pad button,hi cut filter and three band eq and the fx to record my mics,then the signal goes out to my external effwcrs pedals then into two Rupert Neve RNDIs to capture from that Neve sound then with two xlr canles direct into my RMW Babyface Pro to capture the sound from its preamps thwn into my laptop into DAW.I get great recorded clean tracks,then I add plugins for final mixing amd mastering.Thats my chain.Besides that the handy 24/192khz audio interface is really good for capturing stereo tracks from the mixer itself.Anyway I track,my mic,guitarbass,synths one by obe so for me is not a problem that my track will be recordwd in a stereo track,actually I need that.
Old 3rd April 2018
Here for the gear

The Yamaha MG10XU is a great starter mixer for a beginner but even the pros can find it very useful. Although there are a couple shortcomings I still strongly recommend it. If you’re looking for a mixer that has a huge range of features then I assure you that this analogue mixer is for you!

If you want to read my full review then click here: Yamaha MG10XU Review - Best Analogue Mixer? | TheMusicSphere
Old 4th April 2018
Here for the gear

I've got a MG12XU that I use as an interface at home when I'm not using it for solo gigs. It works perfectly. The preamps are far superior to any of the comparably priced USB interfaces, and setting it up to overdub is quite simple. One of the stereo channels can be used for playback of USB. If you want a mono track or two mono tracks you just use the pan and send them to either the left or right of the stereo bus. For monitoring playback from the USB, you just bus that channel to the group outputs which feed your monitors. That keeps everything in order.

And the sound quality is so much better than a scarlett or steinberg interface.
Old 5th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I know I'm late, but from the 12th post of this thread by JayTree4303, it looks like, while recording, if you press the Line/USB button on the channel 9-10 section of the mixer and keep the the Mon/St button there in Mon position, then you can hear the track from DAW on headphone/monitor without mixing it with your input signal in the recorded material.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search