The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Giving muddy bass track more clarity
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Giving muddy bass track more clarity

I have a tubby retro bass track that I'm trying to getting more clarity or definition of the notes. I've tried boosts between 500-1K but the bass has distortion in those frequencies and boosting in those areas brings that up and well as the attack of the pick that the bassist used which gets overbearing. I've also tried plugs like BBE and Aphex to simulate more mids without much success. Any suggestions for how I might be able to improve the clarity of the notes in this muddy bass track??

TIA,
prof
Attached Thumbnails
Giving muddy bass track more clarity-img_19643.jpg  
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by profvonsok View Post
I have a tubby retro bass track that I'm trying to getting more clarity or definition of the notes. I've tried boosts between 500-1K but the bass has distortion in those frequencies and boosting in those areas brings that up and well as the attack of the pick that the bassist used which gets overbearing. I've also tried plugs like BBE and Aphex to simulate more mids without much success. Any suggestions for how I might be able to improve the clarity of the notes in this muddy bass track??

TIA,
prof
Have you tried duplicating the track, and using a linear phase EQ, high pass one and low pass the other at the same corner frequency, then lower the low passed track in volume - assuming that you've already tried simply cutting the 'muddy' area shown on the freq analyser?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

try cutting some at 140hz or so. Try boosting for clarity around 1.4k and above.

I like to parallel a distortion for the bass, depending on genre. Maybe put an eq before the distortion and HP 800hz or so or even more to get the bass to cut thru.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Depending on how wide the range of the bass part is - many bass-lines are mostly hitting the root note over a fairly limited range of notes, even if they do play other notes as well - it's sometimes helpful to be aware of what the range of the fundamentals are, and to deploy a low-shelf accordingly, either to boost or lower in relation to the rest of the track. So, if I have a bass that's mostly hitting between low E and low A, then the fundamental range of the bass lies between 40 and 55. I may well then set a low shelf to lower these by a few dB if the kick is hitting down there, or to raise them a few dB if the kick is occupying 60-ish rather than 40-ish.

The note you have shown is in that weird (for me) region that should be bass, but can actually sound like fairly woofy low mid. Depending on where the rest of the bass falls, and kind of in line with what someone else has mentioned, you may want to gently dip out the octave centered around 120 (just 2 to 3 dB), and try a similarly gentle boost an octave lower, to see if there's any low-end power you can bring out. In both instances, with a fairly wide Q - say 1 to 1.5 (which is roughly an octave).
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Thanks for all the suggestion guys. I've got to experiment more with cutting.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollieneedham View Post
Have you tried duplicating the track, and using a linear phase EQ, high pass one and low pass the other at the same corner frequency, then lower the low passed track in volume - assuming that you've already tried simply cutting the 'muddy' area shown on the freq analyser?
That is a shelf filter.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyfingers View Post
That is a shelf filter.
Well, a tilt EQ - but this method enables you to treat the two parts individually.
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search