The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Don't feel like using analog mixing consoles
Old 19th June 2017
Here for the gear

Don't feel like using analog mixing consoles

Hello community.

A lot of times I have a debate with my friends and clients about using a mixing console.You know, most people have seen those big professional studios.I call them fancy big professional studios cause I believe they could have done the same job, just by using plugins, but in the same time i'm strongly aware that the overall result would be different but only at the warmth of the sound.Correct if im wrong, I got this opinion by watching YT videos ( Sh!tty excuse :D ), sadly, I never went to a professional studio to tell the real difference but anyway.

One thing that I hate using analog mixing consoles is that there's no recall button if I want to change something on the mix, specially if im using outboard gear.
How do you deal with it ? (1)
Also, in order to route all the DAW channels to the console, you need a sound interface that can deliver 8/16/32/64 outputs, right ? Probably yes (logic), but, which audio interfaces can deliver those outputs ? (2)

At the end, is it really worth it ?

I don't really know, i'm a bit confused to be honest.I just dont feel like using analog mixing consoles.

And one offtopic question :

Also, Im thinking into buying Focusrite ISA ONE.Does anyone have any experience using this preamp ? I've read few good reviews (3)

*The numbers indicate a question.

Thanks in advance.
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

The end results will be different. Not necessarily better or worse, but different. If you use a console or summing system you would not normally use an interface but dedicated AD/DA. I use a MADI system 24 input and 36 output.
There are things a good console can do that software cannot, and vise versa. The only way you will ever know if its worth it is to try both. No wrong answer here, just which do YOU like.
The focusrite is nice depending on what you want it for.
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Many professionals are going ITB (in the box)
mainly because of convenience and recall.
Mix ITB, and it will not stop you from making good music for many years on.

Isa One is a good preamp.
Old 19th June 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timoskouros View Post
Hello community.

A lot of times I have a debate with my friends and clients about using a mixing console.You know, most people have seen those big professional studios.I call them fancy big professional studios cause I believe they could have done the same job, just by using plugins, but in the same time i'm strongly aware that the overall result would be different but only at the warmth of the sound.Correct if im wrong, I got this opinion by watching YT videos ( Sh!tty excuse :D ), sadly, I never went to a professional studio to tell the real difference but anyway.

One thing that I hate using analog mixing consoles is that there's no recall button if I want to change something on the mix, specially if im using outboard gear.
How do you deal with it ? (1)
Also, in order to route all the DAW channels to the console, you need a sound interface that can deliver 8/16/32/64 outputs, right ? Probably yes (logic), but, which audio interfaces can deliver those outputs ? (2)

I don't really know, i'm a bit confused to be honest.I just dont feel like using analog mixing consoles.

And one offtopic question :

Also, Im thinking into buying Focusrite ISA ONE.Does anyone have any experience using this preamp ? I've read few good reviews (3)

*The numbers indicate a question.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew Scheps gives good advice here from 5 minutes onwards:

Alistair
Old 20th June 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timoskouros View Post
...A lot of times I have a debate with my friends and clients about using a mixing console.
if your friends tell you to get a mixing console, you can ignore them - they are probably just going on internet scuttlebutt. If your clients tell you to get a mixing console, they are probably also just going on internet scuttlebutt - but you may need to educate them.

Quote:
You know, most people have seen those big professional studios.I call them fancy big professional studios cause I believe they could have done the same job, just by using plugins, but in the same time i'm strongly aware that the overall result would be different but only at the warmth of the sound.Correct if im wrong,
maybe not the same job. Warm is such a BS term, though. What's important is that the mixing engineer is in his most comfortable state. For some, that does mean mixing on a console.

Quote:
I got this opinion by watching YT videos ( Sh!tty excuse :D ), sadly, I never went to a professional studio to tell the real difference but anyway.
It's funny, but your opinion on why you DON'T need a console is coming from pretty much the same "place" as your friends' opinions about why you DO need a console. The internet. In any case, consoles are not just there for mixing - if you have to track full bands, a console can be a tremendous asset.

Quote:
One thing that I hate using analog mixing consoles is that there's no recall button if I want to change something on the mix, specially if im using outboard gear. How do you deal with it ? (1)
BITD, we used to take a polaroid photo of the board and then use a magnifying glass to read off where all the knobs were. Or print up a xerox of the channel strips and give an intern a pencil and tell him to log the position of every single knob. Keeps them out of trouble for at least an hour. Even if you are Hybrid/ITB, you still have to write down (or photograph) the settings on your hardware pieces.

The huge sexy consoles that you see on the magazine covers, DO have recall. Many can recall the position of every knob on the board and move all the faders with automation just as you ask them to. Most affordable analog boards will not have any recall at all. Inexpensive digital mixers will have recall, but they too are mixing In The Box. Just in a separate box. A separate box where you are 'stuck' with the plug-ins that come with it.

Quote:
Also, in order to route all the DAW channels to the console, you need a sound interface that can deliver 8/16/32/64 outputs, right ?
Yes, there are units with the appropriate amount of analog outs and there are units with digital outputs in multiples of 4 or 8 - and you buy modular add-on boxes to convert each 8 to analog.

Quote:
Are you tracking full bands? That could be reason enough. Do you own a lot of hardware compressors and EQs that you want to incorporate at mixdown? Are you unhappy with your mixes and certain that the summing is to "blame"? If its just that last one, it is starting to get a bit sketchy, IMO.

Here is one way to measure "worth it" - ask your clients how much more per hour they are willing to pay for your services if you go out and buy the console and the D/A converters necessary to feed it!

Quote:
Then don't. Many people who already have analog consoles are using them less and less. I am one of them. My analog console that I have here at my own spot is used for talkback and that's just about it. I am not even kidding. The studio where I work we use our console every day - but we record full bands there. It has nice preamps, tracking routing and monitoring. But no automation. Come to think of it, tomorrow, I will use it for mixing ... off an analog tape!

But most of the time, I mix ITB or with some hardware inserts. We never split out all the DAW tracks to the console for mixing.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search