The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Better SSL emulation? Waves or IK Multimedia...
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Better SSL emulation? Waves or IK Multimedia...

I need up to date advice about the subject. I'm thinking about getting one or the other. I'm on a budget but I want the sound.

Ik Multimedia Studio Series is cheapest but how is it on CPU and sound emulation? Right now it's like $125 for the British channel, white channel and bus compressor.

Waves SSL collection goes on sale every now and then for like $250.

Should I save for the waves or can IK Multimedia do everything the Waves emulator can do?

I also want the Bus compressor.

Thoughts. Tips. Suggestions. Whatever, just let me know.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuhluh View Post
I need up to date advice about the subject. I'm thinking about getting one or the other. I'm on a budget but I want the sound.

Ik Multimedia Studio Series is cheapest but how is it on CPU and sound emulation? Right now it's like $125 for the British channel, white channel and bus compressor.

Should I save for the waves or can IK Multimedia do everything the Waves emulator can do?

I worked with the Waves SSL for a decade before I used more hardware and diffrent software EQs I had also the pleasure useing HW SSL EQs and I was surprised how close I can get with the Waves SSL - if I used my ears only.

I think the Waves SSL take on it is great.
I loved the channel compressor on snares.... SSL Snap.

The bus compressor was close enough to the Gyraff SSL clone which I use as well.

Its taste dependend.
I dont like the waves business politcs but some of thier plug ins are great tools.

While I write about it makes me think to pay the stupid wup again to keep my bundle alive....but wait...
I want to stay Waves free....
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

We do take our emulations very seriously and are proud, but the best way to decide would be to try them for free. You can do so with T-RackS CS at IK Multimedia | T-RackS Custom Shop (click Download on that page to get started if you'd like to demo the T-RackS processors).
Old 3 weeks ago
I have a bit of feedback on these two. Used them both several times in the past. I don't own either of the channels or the Waves bus comp, but I do own the T-Racks Bus Comp. As stated the Waves version of the channel compressor has a great snap to it for drums, whereas I do not feel like the T-Racks British Channel is capable of that same snap. It has a good sound in the EQ, though, but be aware that it can fool you (it has a subtle level boost applied by default when you throw it on a channel). I don't own either of the channels because I prefer the ones from Acustica (Sand) and Slate Digital.

The T-Racks Bus Compressor on the other hand, is really nice, which is why I own it. It gets a lot of use here. Much more useful than the Waves version because it has more features and still sounds awesome. Not as smooth as The Glue (Cytomic) and maybe not as full of vibe as the FG-Grey, but when you want one that grabs a little more aggressively and does m/s, go for the T-Racks version.

That's my opinion.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

I used Waves SSL Channel on a lot of mixes until I got the Slate stuff, now the Waves doesn't get used.

Slate VCC + FG-S and the FG-401 gets me to a place I just prefer to the Waves plug.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

+1 for waves, they are the only ones that react as i'd expect from an ssl when you turn a knob, especially the channels
and the eq
Old 1 week ago
Heb
Gear Maniac
Both British and whites dynamic sections behave strange.
Almost all other emulations use something like -18 dBfs as a reference point but these two seems to use 0dBfs as reference making them quite hard to work with, almost to the point of being useless in my opinion.

I have asked IK about it here in other threads on gearslutz, through PM and on their forum but so far none have answered my question.

I do find the IK bus compressor pretty good though

The way IK's strips behave now I would say go with Waves..

Last edited by Heb; 1 week ago at 01:25 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I agree with Heb wholeheartedly about the dynamics processing in IK's SSL. I'd go with Waves.

Last edited by lunarchris1; 5 days ago at 07:57 PM..
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarchris1 View Post
I agree with Heb wholeheartedly about the dynamics processing in IK's SSL. I also agree with his lack of getting a response. That's just with general questions, wait till you have to deal with their support staff. Even the managers give you a quick email to make it seem like they're working, but you'll never get anywhere with them. Long story short, I'd go with Waves.
If there is a ticket or are tickets you feel were not handled to your satisfaction, please PM your ticket numbers and I'll happily look at what happened. They can also answer any technical inquiries that require a deeper answer than you've found on forums.

Note that the question was answered on the IK Forum by an IK rep in 2012 (and referenced in another thread here on GS): https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11821157-post5.html

If you (or others on this thread) would like more/deeper insight on that answer, support can and will assist. I am sorry to hear that you've had an experience that you found unsatisfactory so please do feel free to PM me any information about that experience and I'll take a look. Thank you.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

(Redacted)

Last edited by lunarchris1; 5 days ago at 07:56 PM..
Old 6 days ago
Heb
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post

Note that the question was answered on the IK Forum by an IK rep in 2012 (and referenced in another thread here on GS): https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11821157-post5.html

If this was true for the SSL emus a raise of the input by 6 dB should make them behave atleast close to the other manufacturers emus which they do not..

I have had the chance to try Duende, Waves and OvertoneDSP's versions and though they are not exactly the same they are all in the same ballpark, IK's offerings are way off.

OvertoneDSP (-18dB reference) is the only one I currently own besides IK, I have attached three images showing the rather big difference when feeding a -6dB sinewave into them, the first three with the threshold at 0 and the last three with the threshold at -20.

The British channel with the threshold at -20 doesnt even reach the same amount of compression as OvertoneDSP does at 0, but according to the above statement there is only a 6 dB difference in the referencepoints..
Attached Thumbnails
Better SSL emulation? Waves or IK Multimedia...-1k-sinewave-6db-overtonedsp.png   Better SSL emulation? Waves or IK Multimedia...-1k-sinewave-6db-british-channel.jpg   Better SSL emulation? Waves or IK Multimedia...-1k-sinewave-6db-white-channel.jpg   Better SSL emulation? Waves or IK Multimedia...-1k-sinewave-6db-overtonedsp-20-threshold.png   Better SSL emulation? Waves or IK Multimedia...-1k-sinewave-6db-british-channel-20-threshold.jpg  

Better SSL emulation? Waves or IK Multimedia...-1k-sinewave-6db-white-channel-20-threshold.jpg  
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

I am big fan of Overtone DSP plugins and imo they are the best ssl emus out there, actually made by former ssl engineers.
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search