The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
recordings sound low compared to pro mixes Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 21st April 2017
Here for the gear

Thumbs up recordings sound low compared to pro mixes

no matter how high i turn up the volume of let's say an electric piano i can never get it to sound loud compared to music on soundcloud after it's bounced. my mixes lack an "in-your-face" feeling to them.

i sometimes bring the mixer knob on an instrument to it's peak in logic pro but yet still have to turn my monitor knob pretty high to really "feel" it.

any advice to get a louder sound?

thanks
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Mastering. Which you should not do until you have finished your mix.

Quote:
have to turn my monitor knob pretty high
nothing wrong with that. Making it loud is something you can do at the very end. Don't let it distract you from getting your mix to sound balanced.

Quote:
compared to music on soundcloud
soundcloud is "pro mixes"?

IMO you should spend most of your time and energy getting your mix to be balanced within itself. When you are all finished, there are limiters and maximizers you can use to get the volume up there without going into the red.

Of course there is much more to "mastering" than cranking the volume on the maximizer plug-in, just as there is way more to mixing than anyone is going to be able to describe in one GS thread. It is a rather deep topic in and of itself and it will be a long road, but that's the general outline of it. Mixing for balance and feel and musicality. Mastering for competitive volume levels and tonal consistency.
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear
This is a function of the quality of the sound source, then the quality of the recording chain. Some people have $25,000 recording chains to accomplish exactly what you are seeking.

Then let's say you have a really expensive recording chain, is it the right one for that source?

Is that needed all the time, no, but it sure helps.

How good does the electric piano sound in the room? What mic are you using on the speaker? into what Preamp and EQ? are you using a compressor before you hit the converter?

Oh your using a soft synth and CPU based stuff? Soft synths typically don't have good perceived loudness.

Once you get to a certain point, each 5% improvement costs about $3K.

However, good songs and creativity rule everything. Lenny's "5" album is not high quality, but it's a great album.
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Maniac

Your tracks are supposed to sound quieter than commercial ones in "the mixing phase".
AFTER the mixing phase has been properly concluded* you can run the mix through something like the Waves L1/L2 with the "output ceiling" set to -0.5dBFS.

*However there is more to it than this to get your mixes to compete with a commercial track in terms of presence and punch; good eq-ing and effective compression, of certainly the individual track and the stereo mix in lesser extent, is required.
- You start, of course, with proper gainstaging; all tracks -18dBFS pre fader.
- A commercial track brought down to -18dBFS to reference while balancing, eq-ing.
- Get your mix to match the reference track in terms of general frequency distribution and power.

If your mix does not come close to the -18dBFS reference, then it will not compete with commercial track when raised to just below 0dBFS.

Success.

Edit: I see that Joeq covered it very to the point already.
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Nut

Good day

This is one of the major problems that we all have when we start mixing,you have to think on a different way
It is prooved that you do not need supreme equipment to make a PRO record,you need extremely detailed ear listening perception & nice room accoustics

Guess what you do not need Yamaha NS10 to mix it like a record,find the worst speakes available at EBAY about 80 usd or your parents old kitchen radio,nobody will listen it to a 5000 usd pair of monitors

COMMERCIAL LOUDNESS IS ACHIEVED AT MASTERING WITH THE EXEMPTION THAT MIXING WORKS IN WAY OF MASTERING'S FAVOR

You have to mix it in a way that will be extremely balanced wher it needs to be & the instruments that will be the in yourface need to be a slight bit louder with appropriate dynamic content than the other instruments,this mean that your piano need to be some DB(increase the fader) more than the other instruments

STEPS

1) Turn down ll the faders
2) Start increase the faders that you want to be in your fae
3) Increase the other faders of the backround music
4) Add eq subscrutive to clean all the instruments
5) Add console emulation plugins-saturators-analog wams style plugins
6) Compress all the tracks(2 compressors at each track for sure-slight compress to acoustic instruments & a bit punchier to the drumms)
7) Add again eq to add flavor to each track(ssl WAVES EQ OR API 550 )
8) Add time based FX - reverb - delays - choruses
9) Automate the volumes
10)READJUST ALL THE F@@@@@@KIN FADERS like STEP 1

Upooad the track to LANDR or any other mastering online tool you will find & you are there

you done baby.....

UPLOAD IT IN YOUTUBE
MAKE IT PLATINUM - 1000000 VIES(BUY CHEAP FROM INDIA,ABOUT 400 USD)
GET FAME
BUY A LAMBORGHINI
GET A TOP MODEL FOR WIFE
DO SOME CHILDREN
GET DIVORSED
DO SEXTING WITH YOUR GROUPIES

Thats life,get used to it

hope i helped
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitchmade View Post
no matter how high i turn up the volume of let's say an electric piano i can never get it to sound loud compared to music on soundcloud after it's bounced. my mixes lack an "in-your-face" feeling to them.

i sometimes bring the mixer knob on an instrument to it's peak in logic pro but yet still have to turn my monitor knob pretty high to really "feel" it.

thanks
Good advice above.

I would summarize a quick fix as follows:

Put compressors on your track(s) and a limiter on your master track and crank them - you'll get the volume. EQ is important as well, if you have too much low end you'll clip the master too early, making it impossible to reach high enough "perceived volume". Using these tools properly takes years of practice. The hard part isn't getting volume, it's getting your track to sound good at high volumes.

Keep in mind that there is much more to commercial sounding tracks than just compression and limiting - pros work with flawless source material and perfect arrangements, which practically mix and master themselves. The arrangement matters a lot as far as clarity goes.
Old 21st April 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
nothing wrong with that. Making it loud is something you can do at the very end. Don't let it distract you from getting your mix to sound balanced.

thanks

so should each track's volume be purposely lowered? what dB should they be hitting?
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

There are specific targets involving your RMS levels you want to reach. DAW meters read peak levels so they can only tell you when peaks are going over 0dB. a completed mix needs to come it at around -16dB rms or -12dB average. You have to test the wave file to know.

If you don't test it's loudness before adding mastering comps and limiters, then you're simply guessing and you're final results will be all over the place from project to project. This is critical gain staging stuff that makes all the difference in the world. Guys who only know how to mix often take a casual approach on getting they're mixes to commercial levels. They could go miles farther is they simply learned a little about mastering. The rules involved are anything but casual. They may seem difficult at first, but like anything, you do it a bit and the light bulb goes off in understanding what all the fuss you hear about is.

Your tools don't need to be top shelf to get good results either. It may not be as good as having it professionally done but its a thousand times better then what most amateur's suggest, sticking a limiter in the mains buss and simply cranking it. Why spend all that time mixing toe perfection if you're only going to crap out at the end. Simply learn how to complete the chain by mastering properly.

Follow through with applying the right methods. Once you know how its done you'll get it right every time. Download this PDF and follow it to the letter and I guarantee you your recordings will improve immeasurably. You can use whatever substitute tools you have. I switch them all the time depending on the results I want. http://hdqtrz.com/Files/Har-Bal_Mastering_Process.pdf

Last edited by wrgkmc; 21st April 2017 at 07:14 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search