The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Distortion gets "printed" on wav files
Old 10th April 2017
Here for the gear

Distortion gets "printed" on wav files

Hi everyone, this is my first post, I'm not a newbie, but I didn't know where else to post about this very serious problem I'm having.
I'm an experienced sound engineer and in all my years of work I haven't come across a similar problem.
Some of my audio files, which were recorded fine, get suddenly distorted.
A sudden very loud hiss sound gets somehow "printed" in the audio file.
You can find attached 2 examples to see what exactly I mean because I don't even know how this is possible, I haven't seen it before, I googled and found nothing similar.
This happens completely random, while I'm mixing, or recording. All out of sudden I hear a loud noise on a track / take that was playing perfectly. The craziest thing is that the noise gets printed in the wav file, like something is accessing it and changing the sound. You can't see the distortion on the DAW track but if you open the file with another editor (wavelab) it's there. Same thing happens on all of my DAWS, Cubase, Reaper and Mixbus. There's no processing / rendering of any kind, just inserts / sends (eq, compressors, reverbs, delays, etc.) working in real time.

It started happening 3 weeks ago, after an upgrade on my pc, new motherboard, memory, processor, graphics card. I'm sure that the problem is related with the upgrade but I don't even know where to start looking.
It happens everyday, at least 2 times a day, and only if I have a backup of the original file I can save the session.

Any thoughts / suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Thank you all!

ATTENTION: IF YOU LISTEN TO THE ATTACHED FILES, LOWER YOUR VOLUME, OR OPEN THEM FIRST IN AN EDITOR AND LOOK AT THE WAVEFORM SO YOU CAN SEE WHERE THE DISTORTION IS!
Attached Files

Distortion Sample 1.mp3 (1.10 MB, 233 views)

Distortion Sample 2.mp3 (1.93 MB, 203 views)

File Type: txt PC Specs.txt (771 Bytes, 13 views)
Old 10th April 2017
Lives for gear

I would try recording to different drives.
Old 10th April 2017
Gear Addict

I've heard data corruption like this (very rarely) on hard drives.
Old 11th April 2017
Here for the gear

have you checked your bios settings? hyperthreading/turbo ,c1 eist and other power saving features could do that, is it overclocked cpu/ram? to low buffers on your interface, is typical things that could give all sorts of strange behaviors.

/peace
Old 11th April 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks for the input guys, I will start by moving my projects to a different drive and see if the problem persists.
My bios settings are ok, in general the computer is optimized for audio applications, my buffer size is normal,
I only use low buffer when recording midi.
I'll check with a different drive and hope it will be ok.
Thanks!
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search